E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > quick question about drive shafts

12-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

quick question about drive shafts

Hey, all...

quick questions for anybody that knows....I was checking over the suspension points today from under the car (jack stands) and came across something that is probably normal..but Im not quite sure about.

the drive shafts have no play in them when shoved up or down, front to back, ect....but do have slight play side to side...as if pushing them into and out of their "receptacles" for lack of a better word....Im thinking this is probably normal as the the suspension moves up and down making the distances between the differentials change as the car moves. I know the drive shafts are splined so this makes sense.

Only thing is, I have never seen them kinda "float" like this before...its almost like I am coming up against the "c clips" on the splines and the play stops...

the total movement is probably between 1/16" and 1/8"....everything else is clean and tight!..no grease, boots in great shape, ect......

thanks for any advice or perspective

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep

So, nobody has any thoughts on this subject?

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
HWY-61
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

If you are talking end play (fore and aft movement), some movement is necessary. As the rear suspension moves up and down, the distance to the trany changes slightly. I don't know the spec for your car, but for some some cars it is in the 3/4" - 7/8" range. So, yes the should be some end play.

Regards,
PCG
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWY-61 View Post
If you are talking end play (fore and aft movement), some movement is necessary. As the rear suspension moves up and down, the distance to the trany changes slightly. I don't know the spec for your car, but for some some cars it is in the 3/4" - 7/8" range. So, yes the should be some end play.

Regards,
PCG
thanks for the feedback...It seems normal to me and all 4 were consistent in their movement.....

JP
Appreciate 0