E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede data log questoins

11-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
Cyruz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
not gonna be able to do more runs tonight, wife is coming home - maybe tomorrow or sat if i can get some free time. but i will try to get it for you

my zenfolio photo gallery
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Thanks Shiv, I always have many questions, and you always have very informative responses... so much thought goes into your tune. One day i'll pull the trigger on a purchase.

Timing correction is very important in 3rd, but from my logs 1st and 2nd may not need as much cause of the decreased load. Any thoughts for customized maps per gear in the future? timing target looks to be at least 2deg difference from 2nd to 3rd. And if you were doing high speed runs, increased retard correction would be very important i would think.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #25
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

Quote:
In about two weeks, we will be doing away with ~75% of our existing boost control logic and adopting something MUCH more effective
Do tell... it seems pretty good the way it is right now...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #26
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
Do tell... it seems pretty good the way it is right now...
It does work well. However, we achieved this by adding code upon code upon code. Lots of enhancements to eliminate instability while improving response while making the whole thing user adjustable within a certain throttle/boost response range.

Short story:
This whole boost control scheme started life back with PROcede v2 when we only had access to 3 sensor signal/inputs. We used a simple % increase function with respect to DCin/DC out to support the increased boost targets. Then with v3, we added a couple more sensor inputs that improved stability/adaptability. Then made the offset additive instead of multiplicative. Then gave it its own 16x16 3d table. Then added a global offset that activates during quick changes of throttle. Then added a closed loop PID system designed to keep DCin within a certain plausible range. Then added various corrections to keep throttle open as much as possible, during the engine conditions that were important to us. ALL of this was done to make sure that the DC output resulted in an ACTUAL boost pressure that is as close as possible to the DESIRED boost target.

Well since we can now read actual boost target through a CANbus channel (with rev.2 only), we can make our PID system control actual boost in an effort to keep boost ERROR (Actual-Target) at or close to 0%.

This simple logic structure eliminates just about all the patchwork we've done in the last 3 years and steps up the game a few BIG notches with respect to stability, response time AND desired throttle activity. In other words, we don't have to undershoot targets to keep throttle open most of the time. We can hit the targets DEAD ON and modulate DC from there. This means max power and max response with no side effects.

This also means that the boost control logic, unlike what you would see in other tuning platforms (reflashes included) will be self-corrected. It wont matter what combinations of mods you have as the PROcede will adapt to it immediately. This is especially important now that upgraded turbos are hitting the market. Up until now, we had to re-map the boost offset DC table (and associated tables) from scratch to accommodate any 1 particular turbo upgrade. This will no longer the case very soon.

So yes, it's very exciting. And yes, CANbus integration really changes the game and gives us a huge advantage over the other tuning systems, flashes or piggybacks.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #27
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Sounds great and sounds like you should put this in a new thread.

It also sounds like you might need some beta testers...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #28
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

mmmmhhhh yummy!

Does that mean one or two steps closer to autotune?
      11-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #29
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
Sounds great and sounds like you should put this in a new thread.

It also sounds like you might need some beta testers...
Yes and yes. But still another week away before we release that. Still focusing right now an the latest beta map with respect to o2 sim and misfire. But you know what's coming

shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #30
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
mmmmhhhh yummy!

Does that mean one or two steps closer to autotune?
Let's just say that it is one out of three steps towards autotuning. But it's the one most people will take advantage of the most.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #31
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It does work well. However, we achieved this by adding code upon code upon code. Lots of enhancements to eliminate instability while improving response while making the whole thing user adjustable within a certain throttle/boost response range.

Short story:
This whole boost control scheme started life back with PROcede v2 when we only had access to 3 sensor signal/inputs. We used a simple % increase function with respect to DCin/DC out to support the increased boost targets. Then with v3, we added a couple more sensor inputs that improved stability/adaptability. Then made the offset additive instead of multiplicative. Then gave it its own 16x16 3d table. Then added a global offset that activates during quick changes of throttle. Then added a closed loop PID system designed to keep DCin within a certain plausible range. Then added various corrections to keep throttle open as much as possible, during the engine conditions that were important to us. ALL of this was done to make sure that the DC output resulted in an ACTUAL boost pressure that is as close as possible to the DESIRED boost target.

Well since we can now read actual boost target through a CANbus channel (with rev.2 only), we can make our PID system control actual boost in an effort to keep boost ERROR (Actual-Target) at or close to 0%.

This simple logic structure eliminates just about all the patchwork we've done in the last 3 years and steps up the game a few BIG notches with respect to stability, response time AND desired throttle activity. In other words, we don't have to undershoot targets to keep throttle open most of the time. We can hit the targets DEAD ON and modulate DC from there. This means max power and max response with no side effects.

This also means that the boost control logic, unlike what you would see in other tuning platforms (reflashes included) will be self-corrected. It wont matter what combinations of mods you have as the PROcede will adapt to it immediately. This is especially important now that upgraded turbos are hitting the market. Up until now, we had to re-map the boost offset DC table (and associated tables) from scratch to accommodate any 1 particular turbo upgrade. This will no longer the case very soon.

So yes, it's very exciting. And yes, CANbus integration really changes the game and gives us a huge advantage over the other tuning systems, flashes or piggybacks.

Cheers,
shiv
I love when things have less moving parts. Simplicity is often underrated...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #32
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Did you try different ways of mashing of the throttle? Perhaps you are being too smooth....
      11-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #33
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Let's just say that it is one out of three steps towards autotuning. But it's the one most people will take advantage of the most.

Shiv
Less compromises = More Fun
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #34
JacksonHandy
Clearing the Way
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
lol - me too

For whatever reason my 6AT car has almost zero traction issues. Did 330 rwhp the other day so I know she's running strong but just refuses to burn the tires. I do have 265/19's out back which probably helps traction...

Nick
Haha yeah. I've got 265s but they're not on right now because of the winter times.

Shiv,

DIBS on beta testing the new stuff.

SCTW!

Mods? Maybe, Maybe not.....
Appreciate 0