E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Radiator fan codes

05-31-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
nv_e92
Modding & Detailing Rookie
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Metallic E92

Garage List
Radiator fan codes

Hey guys,

My 08 328i started to overheat on my way home from work. I got the orange coolant temp light on the dash and the car went into limp mode in stop and go traffic on the freeway. The radiator fan was running so loud I though it was going to fly out. I had ac on max as it was 100*F. I also noticed the ac stopped blowing cold air. Luckily, I was able to pull off I-10 and get to a gas station to let her cool down.

When I finally got home, I checked for fault codes w/ INPA and got the following: P0691 cooling fan 1 relay control circuit low and P14C0 cooling fan 1mechanical defect or hardware defect. I didn't get any fault codes for the t-stat or the water pump.

Is it safe to say that I'm going to have to replace the fan? Is the relay part of the fan? I don't have my Bentley manual with me right now. I'm at 93k miles so I know the t-stat and WP are up next. Where would you start?

Thanks in advance!
      09-13-2015, 02:13 AM   #2
seatac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i N54 E93

Did you able to find out what wrong with your? I have the same problem on my E60 2007 530i last couple week. I got 2EFF + P14C0 (Fan mechanical or Hardware defect). as long as car moving and temp keep around 100c everything find. If I stuck on traffic or idle for while, temp reach 120c then follow by overheat message.

1. changed the coolant temp sensor still problem
2. testing water pump still run fine (however I did replaced water pump + thermo stat not long ago)
3. further test, turn on AC at cold start engine, fan run fine.

** seem like this is random problem for me, when I noticed temp reach 110c. I attempt turn on AC (fan NOT run at all) then temperature kept rising to 120c, then warning light came on. However if I turn off engine around 110c-115c before warning light came one, then start engine again and turn on AC, fan then turn on.

Did you replace the Fan?

Thanks,

turn off engine let it cool, turn back on everything normal again at long as vehicle moving at least 20mph.
Appreciate 0