E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread

02-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #67
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Check this out:
Announcement: Compatible Apple iPod Devices and MP3Player
With the new option „USB-Audio-Interface“ (option 6FL) the following mp3
players can be connected to the vehicle and operated via the control
elements in the vehicle from March 07:
Damn... I was hoping this interface would be compatible with generic USB mass storage devices. It'd be nice to get a bus powered 160GB hard drive to hold MP3s.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2007, 01:42 AM   #68
4-series
The best BMW ever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

I am kicking myself for ordering my car too early. I really would like to have this USB feature! oh well. next time....
      02-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #69
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-series View Post
I am kicking myself for ordering my car too early. I really would like to have this USB feature! oh well. next time....
Yeah, but you didn't know. They have a habit of doing things like that, and there isn't much we can do about it. At least they do have the dealer installed option.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #70
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

yeah your just gonna have to pay a little more for the install...it would be cheaper it it was factory or port installed!!! then no labor!!!
________
XXX VIDEO STREAMING

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #71
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

I have the factory installed option and even though it's a little more expensive it's great.
The Ipod interface is great, the sound is great and it's not slow at all.
Got my car last week and i was kind of pissed of that Bmw did this , but now i don't mind really. The Ipod Most interface is great.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #72
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
I have the factory installed option and even though it's a little more expensive it's great.
The Ipod interface is great, the sound is great and it's not slow at all.
Got my car last week and i was kind of pissed of that Bmw did this , but now i don't mind really. The Ipod Most interface is great.
Do you mean dealer installed? It's not March yet.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #73
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Do you mean dealer installed? It's not March yet.
Ya dealer installed sorry LedZep...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #74
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I can't believe that BMW NA still has not released pricing for this, or made it a selectable option via the website. With only 4 more days in February I think it's time they update their site to include this.

I'm guessing that maybe when the 335xi appears in the "build your own" list, this option might also be added.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #75
niftyhawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
This is all I´ve gotten and it´s for the E87, but it should be the same for other MOST cars.

AS of March 2007 it will be possible to connect external audio sources to the music system on the LCI via the USB socket. The monitor screen will map the functions of the connected devices and display them as permanent drives.

Ipod
One of the devices that can be connected is the iPod. Control is by digital means via USB to-serial cable using the proprietary Apple protocol. The monitor uses the iPod database and maps the functions of the iPod. Integration of iPod, iPod Nano and iPod Video is planned for March 2007. Tracks can be accessed from "Playlist", "Artist", "Album","Genre" and "Song".

USB audio players
It will also be possible to use USB audio players in the E87 LCI from March 2007.Connection is by means of a USB cable using the USB mass storage protocol.

The folder structure on the audio player is displayed on the monitor screen and a database is also constructed by analysing the ID3 tags using M2ULF. Tracks can be accessed both through the folder structureand by means of the database. Tracks on the USB audio player can be accessed from "Playlist", "Artist", "Album", "Genre" and "Song".
Will this be available in march 07 335i or march 07 335xi (AWD)??
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #76
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

JSpira and those in the know - can anyone definitively confirm that the Nav headunit itself has been updated as well?

(still holding out hope for some sort of a retrofit availability and cursing my CA for Feb build date)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #77
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
JSpira and those in the know - can anyone definitively confirm that the Nav headunit itself has been updated as well?

(still holding out hope for some sort of a retrofit availability and cursing my CA for Feb build date)
BMWs have not had head units for years.

Regarding changes, good question and I am already trying to find out.

There are a bunch of changes including removal of haptic feedback, a full word for destination input, and a search function from the information screen.

My guess is new hardware.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #78
magicstuff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Please post any legit information, educated speculation, hopes and prayers, etc. here for the new factory installed iPod/USB adaptor, designated as 6FL.

BMW claims this allows the full functionality of the iPod with the car's audio system and steering wheel controls, etc. Also should charge the iPod. This indicates that it will use the iPod dock connection.

I'd love to learn more, as I have this option on my new order. With any luck, this will become a JSpira thread once he gets his hands on the information!
LedZep - Thanks for all of your help on this - got confirmation from my SA that the 6FL was added to my order today!

I am so glad I found out about it - I would have been so bummed if I would have found out about it after it was built. You rock dude!:rocks:

For pics: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72446
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 12:25 AM   #79
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
There are a bunch of changes including removal of haptic feedback
But isn't haptic feedback one of the "great" features of the iDrive interface???
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #80
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicstuff View Post
LedZep - Thanks for all of your help on this - got confirmation from my SA that the 6FL was added to my order today!

I am so glad I found out about it - I would have been so bummed if I would have found out about it after it was built. You rock dude!:rocks:
And I too discovered its existance because of other great members of this forum posting March production change information! Very glad you'll be getting it in your car.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #81
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperD View Post
But isn't haptic feedback one of the "great" features of the iDrive interface???
sometimes yes, sometimes no

This is something they could have adjusted (after all, each action gets its own haptic program created on the fly) so we will have to wait and see what BMW did.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #82
cisoid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d (E46)

info about 6fl

Hi!

The 6fl is gorgeous

It allows full control of your iPod and/or USB device by iDrive and MFL buttons. Playlists, Genres, Artists, Albums and Titels (and for USB directories) will be shown on the car display. The selection of these categories works similar to the iPod, e.g., if the Genre Rock is selected all Artists of this Genre are displayed etc. The complete function including the audio is fully integrated, i.e., when there is a call coming in the audio will be paused etc.

To connect the iPod a special adapter cable is necessary. The reason is that the iPod won't allow control and/or music streaming over an USB interface (unless you build in a stupid authentication chip made by Apple and then it would only work with iPod Nanos and the Video). Therefore this cable converts USB to serial. Audio comes to the car via an audio jack.

When an USB device is connected the directories are shown in first place (similar to the explorer view in windows). When all metadate of the audio files is analyzed also Genre, Artist, etc. are shown. Then the USB device "looks" like the iPod. To analyze the metadate takes some time. However, the information is stored and when connecting the device again everything should happen much faster. In principle any USB device can be connected. But it cannot be guaranteed that any device works, e.g., USB sticks typically work fine. MP3-Players also work when they support the USB mass storage profile. However, the protocol "media transport protocol" (MTP) is not supported and thus "PlaysForShure" devices do not work (Zune does not work either). With USB audiofiles in the formats mp3, wma and aac can be played. Playlists in the m3u-format are supported. The filesystem has to be FAT.

6fl will ship starting March 2007 with the 1-series, 3-series, 5-series. In April X5 is added. In August the Mini and in September the 6-series. It works togther with all iDrive models and with Radio Professional.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #83
dmfitz82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
wow & damn... I think all of with our cars are hoping for some miracle of a retrofit here...
      02-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #84
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisoid View Post
Hi!

The 6fl is gorgeous

It allows full control of your iPod and/or USB device by iDrive and MFL buttons. Playlists, Genres, Artists, Albums and Titels (and for USB directories) will be shown on the car display. The selection of these categories works similar to the iPod, e.g., if the Genre Rock is selected all Artists of this Genre are displayed etc. The complete function including the audio is fully integrated, i.e., when there is a call coming in the audio will be paused etc.

To connect the iPod a special adapter cable is necessary. The reason is that the iPod won't allow control and/or music streaming over an USB interface (unless you build in a stupid authentication chip made by Apple and then it would only work with iPod Nanos and the Video). Therefore this cable converts USB to serial. Audio comes to the car via an audio jack.

When an USB device is connected the directories are shown in first place (similar to the explorer view in windows). When all metadate of the audio files is analyzed also Genre, Artist, etc. are shown. Then the USB device "looks" like the iPod. To analyze the metadate takes some time. However, the information is stored and when connecting the device again everything should happen much faster. In principle any USB device can be connected. But it cannot be guaranteed that any device works, e.g., USB sticks typically work fine. MP3-Players also work when they support the USB mass storage profile. However, the protocol "media transport protocol" (MTP) is not supported and thus "PlaysForShure" devices do not work (Zune does not work either). With USB audiofiles in the formats mp3, wma and aac can be played. Playlists in the m3u-format are supported. The filesystem has to be FAT.

6fl will ship starting March 2007 with the 1-series, 3-series, 5-series. In April X5 is added. In August the Mini and in September the 6-series. It works togther with all iDrive models and with Radio Professional.

Welcome, and THANKS for the great information. Most of it we knew, but you have added some great details that answer many members' previous quesitons.

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"

Last edited by LEDZEP; 02-25-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #85
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Quote:
Hi!

When an USB device is connected the directories are shown in first place (similar to the explorer view in windows). When all metadate of the audio files is analyzed also Genre, Artist, etc. are shown. Then the USB device "looks" like the iPod.
Thanks for the info. What happens if you connect an iPod at this point? Will it just analyze all MP3 files's metadata as well or will the system recognize it as a "real" iPod and use the iPod's own database?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #86
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Thanks for the info. What happens if you connect an iPod at this point? Will it just analyze all MP3 files's metadata as well or will the system recognize it as a "real" iPod and use the iPod's own database?
The iPod does not work this way. Although you can (optionally) set up the iPod as a USB Storage Device the music that you can play on the iPod will NEVER appear as files on the storage device and any MP3 files that you copy directly to the iPod as a Storage Device will NOT appear on the iPod and cannot be played via the iPod.

So if you connect your iPod via it's regular USB cable you will not see any songs (unless you've loaded them separately into the USB Storage Device). The BMW adapter cable does not use the USB connection to the iPod. Instead it receives commands via USB and sends them into the iPod via it's serial connection (and receives data back the same way). When it sends a command to play to the iPod, the iPod sends analog audio which goes into the BMW AUX input via the adapter connector.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #87
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Things were simpler in 1973 when I got my Capri and the only audio option was a radio upgrade to an AM/FM...it wasn't even stereo.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #88
BMW3FXD
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport (on order)

Quote:
Hi!

The 6fl is gorgeous

Thanks for the great post. There has been confusion about the number of "levels" of music selection in comparison with the actual iPod interface. Can you clear this up? Would iDrive allow selection of Genre, then Artist, then Album? I.e (for LedZep!), Heavy Rock/Metal >> Led Zeppelin >> Houses of the Holy? Without the need to create a Playlist? Apparantly this a not the case on the Dealer fit option where only two levels are available
Appreciate 0