E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Wash

07-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Rupert330i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Electric Red '06 330i Sport

Wash

Hey guys, new member to the forums, owner of an \'06 Electric Red 330i with the performance package, I\'ve been washing it with an armorall car shampoo and waxing it with the $15 Zymol wax, I\'m looking to take better care of the car than what I\'m presently doing, so I\'m looking for any and all tips on car care! Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Honestly techinque and prep before waxing/polishing is way more important than the products used. DI has some really good write ups on proper washing /drying and surface prep. I'd concentrate on getting that down right before switching up to more expensive products. BTW do you want OTC recommendations or are you ok with purchasing the boutique products found on detailing sites?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Rupert330i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Electric Red '06 330i Sport

Yea that's what I've been told, that it's all about prep and technique, what would you recommend for OTC and boutique? Probably no more than $100 in product for now
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Like Bob said, check out detailedimage.com for some good writeups on proper car care.

Then, once you get a good system down, order up the necessities you find in the writeups...grit guards, quality towels, shampoo, QD, wheel cleaner, and last but not least, wax. BUT, something I would recommend is to have the car professionally polished and THEN you maintain it from there. plan on at least once or twice a year having the car polished to maintain a new look to the car. Waxing is just your protection layer on the clearcoat, claying removes the bonded junk from the paint, and polishing is what will give you more depth, clarity, wetness to the paint!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

Lot to read up on. Click Here for the best detailing guide.
      07-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
There's a ton of detailing information on this forum. Just check out the stickys and it'll answer a lot of questions that you have. Most OTC stuff found at the local auto store won't be as strong as what you can buy at the detailing sites but as others mentioned, technique is more important than the product. You mentioned that you have been waxing your car but unless you polish your car, you won't be removing any swirls/scratches that accumulates over time.

If you want to start to maintain your car I highly recommend investing in an orbital such as the porter cable 7424xp. I think the cheapest I've seen them go for is about $120 on amazon. Paint correction is not possible by hand although you may be able to cover it up temporarily by using products that contain fillers.

Minus the cost of the orbital, I believe you'd be able to get what you need to start off with for around $100. pads, clay, polish, wax or sealant, buffing towels, detail spray. But check out the sticky section for a whole lot more information. Feel free to pm or email as well if you have any questions. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
PINOY_E90
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Get clay, blackfire wet diamond sealant and blackfire midnight sun wax, it will be less than $100.

Wash the car first with dishwashing ssoap to remove old wax, dry, clay, wash with car shampoo, dry, apply sealant, remove sealant residue, apply wax, remove wax residue

It took me 1 day to complete the task but you will be happy with the result