E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Damn rock chips~

12-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Damn rock chips~

Had so many rocks hitting my car in the past two weeks it wasn't even funny.....

1. Driver side front windshield
Driving on I-95/128 north bound past the I-93 I/C, a truck that is far ahead of me (probably 1000ft or more) kicked up a rock and it flew right at me, hitting the windshield and leaving a rock chip. This rock chip has since accumulated 2mm cracks on both sides......

2. Passenger side front windshield
The day after I had the first chip, I was driving on Rte 1 northbound going towards Danvers, MA. All of a sudden I heard the noise that sounded like a bullet hitting glass. Then, I saw a chip on my passenger side front windshield with a crack about 5mm on each side. The crack has been slowly expanding to about 8mm each side now......

3. Unknown point of impact
Last week, again on Rte 1 northbound, I was driving next to a big truck when I suddenly heard a loud bang. I was scared shitless coz I thought this means either major paint damage or a sizeable dent. However, when I got to work, I couldn't find any signs of impact any where. (*knocking on wood)

4. M-Tech rear bumper
This is really weird. I was driving on Route 1 again. This time I was changing lanes to overtake a slower vehicle when I heard this loud popping noise, which sounds like a piece of rock hitting my car. When I got to work, I inspected the car and found that there's a dent on my M-Tech rear bumper right at the front apex of the driver side. So my theory is that my car kicked up a piece of rock when I did the lane change and the rock hit my rear-bumper.

On a side note, some moron scraped my M-Tech rear bumper on the driver side as well. The bumper has a 6" dent on it, but no visible paint damage. I'm not going to touch it until I'm doing the PDC retrofit.

Damn roads in MA suck ass big time.......

I just contacted my stealer and see how much they charge for the repair vs replacement.
      12-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

i have a bunch of my front lip too.

need to pick up some touch up paint.
      12-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
i have a bunch of my front lip too.

need to pick up some touch up paint.
Luckily, I don't have any stone chips on my paint (*knock on wood). However, I did inadvertently created a paint chips with my own keys.... Touch up paint seems to have worked well on those though.
      12-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
nagge
Swedish user
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330dA

I know the feeling, with no snow and alot of sand in the streets its rock chip heaven atm
      12-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

There are a lot of chips on my front bumper. It's unavoidable here in SoCal unless you get a clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
rje
RJE 335xi E90 Monaco Blue/Lemon, MB C350 White/Blk
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-335xi E90, 07 MDX,11 C350-4

Clear bra is popular here in Canada. They use little rocks (dirt) to help traction on snow. So it is normal get get chips on your hood, bumper and windshield. So when we pick up the car, the 3M clear bra is installed (not free of course). We get rock chips on normal basis. On summer we have little shops on shopping parking lots offering rock chip repairs. So I say you guys still got it good there.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
That I understand. I lived in Wisconsin for 7 years before moving to the East Coast. I never had a problem like that when I lived in Hokkaido, Japan. The streets are almost always in pristine condition, even in the middle of a snow storm.
      12-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #8
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

clear bra ftw.
      12-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #9
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
There are a lot of chips on my front bumper. It's unavoidable here in SoCal unless you get a clear bra.
Yup. I love my clear bra. I went with Venture Shield.

Have the full hood, full left and right fenders, full front bumper, aero lip, both side mirrors, both headlights, both fogs, both painted reflectors, and both sides going up on either side of the front windshield. Needed it for the drive up to Monterey for the track event.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0