E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > How would a 335d ECU tune affect CBU issue?

08-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
How would a 335d ECU tune affect CBU issue?

I love my 335d, but am uncomfortable about how much it may cost to maintain down the road in regards to the CBU issue, (thanks for your support, BMWNA.)

I'm toying with the idea of an ECU tune - can anybody speak to either side of the equation, how that could affect the CBU issue? Am I just going to just expedite the CBU?

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull
I love my 335d, but am uncomfortable about how much it may cost to maintain down the road in regards to the CBU issue, (thanks for your support, BMWNA.)

I'm toying with the idea of an ECU tune - can anybody speak to either side of the equation, how that could affect the CBU issue? Am I just going to just expedite the CBU?
If you mean just for extra power, it will do nothing.

Methanol/Water injection is a proven remedy. It's fairly cheap, safe, etc.

If you're interested in a tune that will allow you to remove DPF, EGR, SCR- you're messing with emissions stuff and need to figure that out (smog; what's your level of comfort with this sort of thing) you'll b in great shape. I would do the latter two options and have already begun to. Meth, and a tune, and eventually add to the tune the dpf/EGR/SCR delete. I get really excited about it but then I get a little intimidated by it. Back and forth. But I've got 2 full years before my warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull

If you mean just for extra power, it will do nothing.

Methanol/Water injection is a proven remedy. It's fairly cheap, safe, etc.

If you're interested in a tune that will allow you to remove DPF, EGR, SCR- you're messing with emissions stuff and need to figure that out (smog; what's your level of comfort with this sort of thing) you'll b in great shape. I would do the latter two options and have already begun to. Meth, and a tune, and eventually add to the tune the dpf/EGR/SCR delete. I get really excited about it but then I get a little intimidated by it. Back and forth. But I've got 2 full years before my warranty expires.
And by the way, I plan to fork out the approximately $1k for carbon cleaning just before my warranty expires, so that when I delete emissions and keep it clean and fast with injection, I've got a clean slate.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
eurojulien
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i/6

tl/dr

tunes can reduce EGR duty cycle (like rc), or delete it if you ditch the DPF
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

dont spend your money for the CBU clean up, I suggest spend it on meth tank and TUNE. the meth will not be as great as the actual cleaning but will help rid most of the CBU and keep it clean I believe so; after that go dpf/egr/scr delete
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

@Airbull, you're in TX so no emission check when state inspection is done. If not scared of warranty implications, DPF/EGR/SCR delete is an option. The EGR block off is the most important in the context of halting CBU any further.

Question, why would you have cleaning done at end of warranty on your dime? You might "luck out" and get the problem/SES light/poor mileage/fill in reason here and have it cleaned at BMWNA expense.

I have not heard of anyone having EGR coded out by itself but this is an option with the proper block off kit installed too.

I see you're in DFW. I was just in Arlington last weekend
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
A tune might add to the buildup of soot faster in your dpf, but for CBU I would think not, just for the reason some cars are clean 70k and some cars have CBU at 20k, so its a crap shoot when It comes...