E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vargas Turbo making upgraded turbos

09-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #67
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

Very much looking forward to seeing progress.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #68
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Sunscribed...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #69
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Guys I think we should all take it easy.

Remember WE as the community are the ones who will also benefit from this. If he can produce a product that pushes the limits of the platform and helps create a competitive (read cost friendly) environment it's all fine by me.

By having so much negativity being directed towards him already how do you think he feels about pursuing this project and doing business in the future with the n54 community?

Constructive feedback and technical discussion is always great, but some posts are straight out filled with negativity (even some hate/jealousy). Let's provide all the feedback and info we can and hope that it leads to the production of a great product for all of us.

Some members had decent success with "stage 1" type upgrades over the stockers and with a wastegate solution they will have even more potential and it's POSSIBLE that we might be able to hold more power until redline. Now I know that the exhaust side is the biggest restriction on these turbos and upping boost at redline just creates backpressure and heat, but at the same time a clipped turbine in theory will provide better flow at our bottleneck point. Now HOW MUCH better is what remains to be seen, but with a clipped turbine helping with flow and possibly a wastegate solution I do see where these turbos will have their place in the market and there is potential for good gains in the midrange and hopefully better power upto redline.

Beyond that anybody who blew their stockers, why not pick up a set of stage 1's for a GREAT price and have some benefits from the purchase as well?

I'm just trying to stay positive here... stage 1 leads to stage 2.... which will eventually lead to stage 3 and that's what most of us here have been waiting for, for a longggg longgg time.
hate to state the obvious ...but the only person who wouldn't benefit from this is Rob Beck...hence the offensive/negative stance he has taken. for the community (end user, non-vendor folks)...this could be a great addition to the community. with that many years of turbo experience behind them....looking forward to seeing what Vargas can come up with. competition is competition.....we saw the same thing happen between Wagner and Helix when Wagner released their fmic...Helix jumped all over them.

ps Admins.........please get Tony(VargasTurbos) vendor status....i refuse to go to the "other" site but will if that's the only place i can get updates on Tony's project.

Last edited by import36; 09-07-2012 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Admins....get VargasTurbos vendor status......stat!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #70
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Guys, no hate or offense meant. Just simply saying that there is alot more than meets the eye to accomplish the stage 2 type of upgrade. Anyone is capable, but only until you actually meet the design dead ends along the way can you realize how odd it really is. Sorry this has been taken way out of context, but what I state is fact. Nothing wrong with competition whatsoever, and if someone can build this option for a final sale price of sub $2000 I truly commend them.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #71
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
That's a lot of talk for someone who has not sold even a single N54 product. You'd better start backing things up because this community will literally eat you alive if you fail to deliver on your promises.

Fair warning, that's all.
I am really not quite sure why everyone thinks "N54" turbos are magic or an RB hybrid turbo is some new technology that rob came up with, while wearing safety google and using smoking beakers. Bottom line is this has ALL been done before but it seems like this community really only has a few options when it comes to turbos which is WHY I decided to make some products for this community. It has been stated I am not doing this to make huge profits from these turbos. I am doing this by keeping my prices (and profits) very low so more people can afford to go fast. I do agree with you that the products will speak for themselves. But the words "the community will eat you alive" are semi humorous. I have a lot more going on than this community and if decided to stop my N54 efforts today it wouldn't effect my business in the slightest. I am here to help with quality products people can afford and its funny I am getting trash talk thrown at me for it. Lets all just relax and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #72
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Guys, no hate or offense meant. Just simply saying that there is alot more than meets the eye to accomplish the stage 2 type of upgrade. Anyone is capable, but only until you actually meet the design dead ends along the way can you realize how odd it really is. Sorry this has been taken way out of context, but what I state is fact. Nothing wrong with competition whatsoever, and if someone can build this option for a final sale price of sub $2000 I truly commend them.
Hey Rob, man I don't want to do any of this back and forth trash talk with you. I think you are a hell of a nice guy and I think you make a great product. I apologize if this has gotten out of hand. I just was a little offended when you blatantly attacked me and my company for trying to help the community. I hope my turbos will speak for themselves, as I am putting a lot of time into these all while trying to run a business full time. Thanks guys for the support, I will have updates soon on progress.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #73
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Dont forget about the secret green book I pull in the bookshelf that takes me to the secret lab, with bunsen burners and schematics... Gotta have schematics -dane cook

Agree. Develop the product. Test it out. Offer up for sale.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #74
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyturbo42 View Post
I am really not quite sure why everyone thinks "N54" turbos are magic or an RB hybrid turbo is some new technology that rob came up with, while wearing safety google and using smoking beakers. Bottom line is this has ALL been done before but it seems like this community really only has a few options when it comes to turbos which is WHY I decided to make some products for this community. It has been stated I am not doing this to make huge profits from these turbos. I am doing this by keeping my prices (and profits) very low so more people can afford to go fast. I do agree with you that the products will speak for themselves. But the words "the community will eat you alive" are semi humorous. I have a lot more going on than this community and if decided to stop my N54 efforts today it wouldn't effect my business in the slightest. I am here to help with quality products people can afford and its funny I am getting trash talk thrown at me for it. Lets all just relax and see what happens.
The exact same thing happened when VRSF got into the market. Don't sweat it. IF the product is quality and the price is right then there will naturally be a following and appreciation.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #75
mave198
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Only on e90post would a new competitive product receive hate and negative feedback.

Fuckin shame. Tony I apologize about the negative comments, I was warned about this happening on this site.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #76
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
The exact same thing happened when VRSF got into the market. Don't sweat it. IF the product is quality and the price is right then there will naturally be a following and appreciation.
Seriously, what is wrong with this community? When VRSF introduced their DPs, AR got all their panties in a bunch and a lot of members joined the hate train. same thing as mentioned before with intercoolers. Like Tony said, Rob did not invent neither did he patent the hybrid turbos. If Tony has the experience and equipment to make quality parts for us at a lower price, we should be embracing that development. All I see is people bashing new products because they already shelled out money for a similar product, and are for some reason scared that other people will now get a better deal than they did.

Thanks alot for the development effort, Tony. I look forward very much to your stage 2 and 3 offerings!

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #77
Zasquatch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mave198 View Post
Only on e90post would a new competitive product receive hate and negative feedback.

Fuckin shame. Tony I apologize about the negative comments, I was warned about this happening on this site.
+7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Bottom line is that this is EXCELLENT news for the platform and I cannot wait to follow the development process and see (perhaps purchase) the end products.

I for one, will be watching from the other forum, where there is actual SUPPORT and technical discussion rather than this bullshit banter.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #78
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

There seems to be a very heavy vendor bias on this forum. Kinda sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #79
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I think it's great Tony is stepping up to the plate. I also think it's too late for the N54 market now that FFTEC/Vishnu have the single turbo kit. I understand a few people still think it's too much money and still have hopes of a twin upgrade that can provide 600 whp, but honestly I feel Tony and Rob should focus on the N55 market and provide an upgrade to bring the N55 back into the game. I know it's hard for most people to understand the difference a big single offers over the upgraded twins, but I've been in two different single upgrade cars and I can tell you first hand that 500 ftlbs to redline and an extra 150 rwhp at 7000 rpm is playing in a whole new dimension... it's stupid fast. Good luck Tony... Good competition drives R&D and we all like new options and new toys, and I'm sure the N55 community would love to see some new R&D as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #80
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyturbo42 View Post
Hey Rob, man I don't want to do any of this back and forth trash talk with you. I think you are a hell of a nice guy and I think you make a great product. I apologize if this has gotten out of hand. I just was a little offended when you blatantly attacked me and my company for trying to help the community. I hope my turbos will speak for themselves, as I am putting a lot of time into these all while trying to run a business full time. Thanks guys for the support, I will have updates soon on progress.
Can't wait for mine to show up! All the n54 forums are full of hate directed at different things. It's sort of laughable
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #81
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i M-Sport

09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #82
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

You should see another N54 forum. It is full of personal insult and hate and also very biased. I haven't seen hate in e90post for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #83
vereak82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6-spd e92 335i

If 550-600whp on meth is possible at half the cost of a single kit I'm all for it
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #84
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
Seriously, what is wrong with this community? When VRSF introduced their DPs, AR got all their panties in a bunch and a lot of members joined the hate train. same thing as mentioned before with intercoolers. Like Tony said, Rob did not invent neither did he patent the hybrid turbos. If Tony has the experience and equipment to make quality parts for us at a lower price, we should be embracing that development. All I see is people bashing new products because they already shelled out money for a similar product, and are for some reason scared that other people will now get a better deal than they did.

Thanks alot for the development effort, Tony. I look forward very much to your stage 2 and 3 offerings!
I don't really see hate posts, other than maby Tony not appreciating the advice and estimations from guys who have turbo experience with N54. I think everyone agrees that it's great for us that he is here.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #85
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
You should see another N54 forum. It is full of personal insult and hate and also very biased. I haven't seen hate in e90post for a long time.
Your hating right now. As for not seeing anything on here its because every valuable member that knows any technical stuff about this platform is pretty much banned if they do not fully support procede or have questions of how things are being done and what not. Been on here long enough to know/see this. Anyway i think its great vargas came on here the more competition the merrier for us.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #86
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
Your hating right now. As for not seeing anything on here its because every valuable member that knows any technical stuff about this platform is pretty much banned if they do not fully support procede or have questions of how things are being done and what not. Been on here long enough to know/see this. Anyway i think its great vargas came on here the more competition the merrier for us.
I don't agree. Hate is not what I feel, and believe me, I think I know the best. ...I hope... I would say I just dislike insults. Why can't they stick to the facts and technical stuff?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #87
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
I don't agree. Hate is not what I feel, and believe me, I think I know the best. ...I hope... I would say I just dislike insults. Why can't they stick to the facts and technical stuff?
sticking to facts and technical stuff is great if everyone can come to some sort of conclusion as to what is to be accepted as fact. but for some folks that's impossible...due to ulterior motives or personal dislike for individuals for whatever reason. and that's when they get banned. it's one thing to have technical discussion...but another thing to continue useless banter just for the sake of arguing.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #88
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:

You're telling me

Lets keep this civil, no need to throw all this negativity in any direction.

Just give the new guy a chance before scaring them away. There may be a few guys who are apprehensive but the majority of the community would love for this to happen and I have a handful of friends/customers who'd give these a shot in a minute.
Appreciate 0