E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > FMIC Fitment

08-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

FMIC Fitment

What are some good FMIC choices and sizes for standard stock bumper in terms of fitment?

My car is sport package (not M-sport). So I believe my bumper is standard (not M-tech or Performance Aero)

Last edited by mustangivore; 08-01-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunFat View Post
What are some good FMIC choices and sizes for standard stock bumper in terms of fitment?

My car is sport package (not M-sport). So I believe my bumper is standard (not M-tech or Performance Aero)

Check the marketplace and support a forum vendor. Search for reviews. VRSF is fairly popular because of its price. They have a new 5" stepped core that requires no trimming of the bumper and a 7" that provides more cooling but requires trimming of the bumper.
      08-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post

Check the marketplace and support a forum vendor. Search for reviews. VRSF is fairly popular because of its price. They have a new 5" stepped core that requires no trimming of the bumper and a 7" that provides more cooling but requires trimming of the bumper.
Maybe my question was too general. I know about VRSF from searching the first time I ever considered a DP. Reading reviews and vendor support are a given and not the issue. I was more interested in hearing if there were nuances with fitment between bumpers from people who actually installed FMICs (and if so, which would be recommended for regular bumper). Moreover, I may switch bumpers down the road and would be curious how, if any, that affects the FMIC fitment.

Perhaps my search failed to find a good thread or two, involving more than two people in the world, that you've seen discussing this very issue? Or maybe it's a non-issue, which is good to know too since I'm ignorant on this matter.

Anyway, according to a vendor I PM'd yesterday, VRSF fits well on stock bumper, and I know from searching forum threads that many/most people have M-sport/tech bumpers and have installed VRSF without issue, so probably more than enough information to pull the trigger.

5" versus 7" FMIC is a whole separate question
      08-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Maybe my question was too general. I know about VRSF from searching the first time I ever considered a DP. Reading reviews and vendor support are a given and not the issue. I was more interested in hearing if there were nuances with fitment between bumpers from people who actually installed FMICs (and if so, which would be recommended for regular bumper). Moreover, I may switch bumpers down the road and would be curious how, if any, that affects the FMIC fitment.

Perhaps my search failed to find a good thread or two, involving more than two people in the world, that you've seen discussing this very issue? Or maybe it's a non-issue, which is good to know too since I'm ignorant on this matter.

Anyway, according to a vendor I PM'd yesterday, VRSF fits well on stock bumper, and I know from searching forum threads that many/most people have M-sport/tech bumpers and have installed VRSF without issue, so probably more than enough information to pull the trigger.

5" versus 7" FMIC is a whole separate question
Ahhh, okay. That is a much better articulated question! I doubt that the FMIC vendors have tried every bumper available so its best to stick with the stock bumper.

5" vs 7" does enter the picture because the new stepped core 5" VRSF is said to not require trimming of the bumper so I expect that the 5" VRSF FMIC would be more easier to fit if you change bumpers.
      08-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

it can be tricky to find the right balance of getting to the point quickly and providing enough background to be clear. my attempt was

yeah, 5" could help if I swap. but I think i'm going 7" for little extra performance and not looking back... the trimming is of the plastic shroud behind the bumper not the bumper itself, which i'm fine with - probably what you meant. more i think about my original question, the more i realize it was pretty dumb. regular stock should always be the first target application, even if M-sport is so common...
      08-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Just realize that the 7" (versus the same 5" setup) adds a little lag; Not a lot, but would be noticeable, if you were able to compare a 5" & 7".

Basic physics: bigger canister takes more time to bring up to pressure.

I don't plan on racing or living on boost, so I'm going the route of the 5"
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGCubana View Post
Just realize that the 7" (versus the same 5" setup) adds a little lag; Not a lot, but would be noticeable, if you were able to compare a 5" & 7".

Basic physics: bigger canister takes more time to bring up to pressure.

I don't plan on racing or living on boost, so I'm going the route of the 5"
good point. i completely agree with the scientific principle that more volume requires more time to build the pressure. but I don't see the science to suggest that the delta difference in turbo lag is noticeable, so I don't agree with that. interesting to hear your thoughts on that though. i actually hear the opposite, that delta is sufficiently small such that turbo lag difference is not noticeable. perhaps similar arguments can be made against claims of improvement in IAT for 7" over 5". but from what I hear, the difference in performance begins to show for 7" when you're nearing FBO or maybe even just a DP and higher boost, which you might have been hinting at too.

the differences are somewhat subjective to the driver and the type of driving. i have long highway commutes and like the idea of keeping temps as low as possible throughout the drive, but will i ever experience a point where 5" FMIC would not have been sufficient -- highly doubt it. on the same token, will i ever experience a point where i wish i had a 5" FMIC because of the delta -- highly doubt it.

by the way, what does JD_335i and some buyer receiving the intake have to do with this conversation?

Last edited by mustangivore; 08-06-2014 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Quote:
good point. i completely agree with the scientific principle that more volume requires more time to build the pressure. but I don't see the science to suggest that the delta difference in turbo lag is noticeable, so I don't agree with that. interesting to hear your thoughts on that though. i actually hear the opposite, that delta is sufficiently small such that turbo lag difference is not noticeable. perhaps similar arguments can be made against claims of improvement in IAT for 7" over 5". but from what I hear, the difference in performance begins to show for 7" when you're FBO or maybe even just a DP and higher boost, which you might have been hinting at too.

the differences are somewhat subjective to the driver and the type of driving. i have long highway commutes and like the idea of keeping temps as low as possible throughout the drive, but will i ever experience a point where 5" FMIC would not have been sufficient -- highly doubt it. on the same token, will i ever experience a point where i wish i had a 5" FMIC because of the delta -- highly doubt it.

by the way, what does JD_335i and some buyer receiving the intake have to do with this conversation?
That's a quote in my signature. Just a reflection of the world that we live in

Last edited by LGCubana; 08-03-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

lots of good FMIC choices.
VRSF 5" and ETS 5" fit without trimming
AA Sport fit with very minor trimming
ER,VRSF 7",ETS 7", AA Race version will need trimming

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
TXLFC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jeep GC

May be an ignorant question, but does swapping out the FMIC void the warranty? And more generally speaking, what modifications can you make and still maintain your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLFC View Post
May be an ignorant question, but does swapping out the FMIC void the warranty? And more generally speaking, what modifications can you make and still maintain your warranty?
The warranty is not really clear on this but i have never heard of a warranty being voided because of an intercooler.
As a matter of fact i have never heard of the warranty being voided for any aftermarket parts (unless it is directly caused by that part)

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0