E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ECS Tuning CF Intake vs AFe Momentum Pro 5R

03-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
ECS Tuning CF Intake vs AFe Momentum Pro 5R

In a dilemma here.

Which one would be the best one to go for?
Eventually I will be upgrading my turbos.

I'll post the links below.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...m/000951ecs~a/

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-76...-intake-system

Thanks for your advice
M340i xDrive Top Mount big single in the works
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I'd say neither, lots of dollars for small gains. The stock airbox works well as it is, just put a better panel filter in it.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I'd say neither, lots of dollars for small gains. The stock airbox works well as it is, just put a better panel filter in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Already put a panel filter in there, they both look good and are better than the DCIs was just wondering which one!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
spend your money on inlets
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
spend your money on inlets
+1 get relocated inlets, it will offer a lot more power than the 2 options you mentioned

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji335i View Post
In a dilemma here.

Thanks for your advice
Quote:
In a dilemma here.

Thanks for your advice
AFE no question. I have one with air scoops. I bought mine on sale for $350 I think.

The goal is to get more "cold" air into the turbos.

Probably one of the more effective mod would be 1.75" silicone inlets.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Why relocated inlets? Those are a large Waste of time in my opinion. Also as inlets are not for everyone, especially many on stock turbos, there's more to consider than just to advise to "go buy inlets". In addition if he is going eventually "go buy upgraded turbos" then dude just hang back on inlets until you do the turbo swap, as it is the best time to install them at that point. All of this aside it seems the OP already has inlets judging by his sig, so he may not need them and just wants a cool airbox setup.

So on topic the aFe is ok, but the ID's feeding the inlets seem a bit restrictive for my taste... uses a really thick composite plastic which is a compromise. The OEM airbox has a significantly larger ID on that inlet feeds than the aFe, but the air filter side of them should flow quite a bit better than the OE airbox as well. Be nice to have the best of both worlds here...

As for the ECS setup we are actually trying to figure out the sizes of those CF tubes, but weeks later here we are still with no answer. It could end up being a better solution though we may have to order it to find out for sure.

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 03-28-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Why relocated inlets? Those are a large Waste of time in my opinion. Also as inlets are not for everyone, especially many on stock turbos, there's more to consider than just to advise to "go buy inlets".
Hi Rob,
OP is upgrading his turbos, he mentioned it in his first post.

Every inlet manufacturer i know recommends relocated inlets for upgraded turbos and stock location for stock turbos. As far as i know relocated inlets provides better airflow which is crucial for upgraded turbos

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi Rob,
OP is upgrading his turbos, he mentioned it in his first post.

Every inlet manufacturer i know recommends relocated inlets for upgraded turbos and stock location for stock turbos. As far as i know relocated inlets provides better airflow which is crucial for upgraded turbos
We crossed over on my edit where I added this:
"In addition if he is going eventually "go buy upgraded turbos" then dude just hang back on inlets until you do the turbo swap, as it is the best time to install them at that point."

As for your 2nd comment; we are an inlet manufacturer and disagree. We offer both versions as well. There is a lot of junk floating around on these webs, lots of misinformation as well. The relocated stuff is good, it works, but so do the OEM routed inlets and they are much nicer to install and have a MUCH cleaner fit and finish.

Rob
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback guys.

As rob said I already have inlets.
Just not outlets. Rob does do RHD outlets I got a quote and it came to $735AUD that's that's $570USD

I cannot relocate due to being RHD.
What has been suggested is buying the e89 Z4 airbox cover it provides more air flow.

Saying all of this from an aesthetic point of view the ECS intake looks awesome.

Comparing them to stock, there enclosures but not sealed.

I am eventually upgrading turbos yes! That's however another story!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

good thread. I got the AFE intake and not planning on much else (except flexF ;-) ). But, if I end up going with some type of hybrids, I will certainly go inlets and outs...

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Quote:
So on topic the aFe is ok, but the ID's feeding the inlets seem a bit restrictive for my taste... uses a really thick composite plastic which is a compromise. The OEM airbox has a significantly larger ID on that inlet feeds than the aFe, but the air filter side of them should flow quite a bit better than the OE airbox as well. Be nice to have the best of both worlds here...

As for the ECS setup we are actually trying to figure out the sizes of those CF tubes, but weeks later here we are still with no answer. It could end up being a better solution though we may have to order it to find out for sure.

Rob
What measurements do you want on the ECS intake? I ran the original AFE SI for a few years and now have the ECS. The ECS is not sealed, as mentioned, but I plan to closer it up like I did with the original SI. ECS box is thin and has a lot of give, not even in the same ballpark as the molded plastic SI. The original SI had aluminum inserts on the outlets, not sure about the new version. I've run both the SI and the ECS on hybrids with your inlets, I notice no difference in fitment between either air box on the inlets.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:54 AM   #13
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Quote:

Rob
What measurements do you want on the ECS intake? I ran the original AFE SI for a few years and now have the ECS. The ECS is not sealed, as mentioned, but I plan to closer it up like I did with the original SI. ECS box is thin and has a lot of give, not even in the same ballpark as the molded plastic SI. The original SI had aluminum inserts on the outlets, not sure about the new version. I've run both the SI and the ECS on hybrids with your inlets, I notice no difference in fitment between either air box on the inlets.
Oh cool, where abouts is the ECS not sealed, it looks sealed but I guess I've only seen pictures, but got told it's not!
Are the outlets worth it?
I'm still unsure what to go for? Swaying on the ECS. However a cheaper option is the Z4 intake cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:00 AM   #14
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
ah sorry about that on the inlets my phone does not display sigs but I think both options are pretty close to each other and you should pick what you think looks better in your engine bay.
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #15
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Quote:
Oh cool, where abouts is the ECS not sealed, it looks sealed but I guess I've only seen pictures, but got told it's not!
Are the outlets worth it?
I'm still unsure what to go for? Swaying on the ECS. However a cheaper option is the Z4 intake cover.
There are relatively large gaps where the outlets run through the box and the lid basically just sits on the box with 2 set screws to keep it in place. It's a loose fit with no seal. It's a little noisier than the AFE intake because of the gaps, but not remotely as loud as DCI. I'll try to dig up some pics tonight after work. Having used both, I'd just go AFE sealed for less money and be done with it. Also, do a search for the BQ intake if you want an OE/stealth upgrade (larger OEM box + CF inlets), but not sure about RHD fitment.

I assume you mean inlets, but I did mine when I installed the turbos, so I can't really say. For the work involved, I wouldn't waste my time installing them with stock turbos though, just do them when you do the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #16
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

As rob said I already have inlets.
Just not outlets. Rob does do RHD outlets I got a quote and it came to $735AUD that's that's $570USD

I cannot relocate due to being RHD.
What has been suggested is buying the e89 Z4 airbox cover it provides more air flow.

Saying all of this from an aesthetic point of view the ECS intake looks awesome.

Comparing them to stock, there enclosures but not sealed.

I am eventually upgrading turbos yes! That's however another story!
Typically we do not recommend outlets unless you are gunning for the ~550+rwhp range, unless you are RHD then much much sooner. Hit us up directly about the RHD outlets as they are MUCH cheaper than what you have noted here...

Quote:
That would be great if you could measure them. We are looking for the CF tubes ID's at the side of the connection to the inlets. While the OE Airbox Tubes are 56mm in this area, the aFe setups are around 47mm; which is a significant reduction in flow path that far upstream from the (upgraded) turbochargers. The ECS is of course unknown, but we'd like to see it closer to the OE sizing.

Personally I am not as concerned about being sealed and some simplicity is fine by me as long as the fit and finish is to my liking. This is the setup that has now caught my eye, figure it should have the same tubes as what you have though so the measurements should be the same.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...04531ecs02a~a/

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
In a dilemma here.

Thanks for your advice
ECS is a nice intake, espcially if you want a CF look. However, the AFE Momentum GT is less expensive and arguably performs the same if not better.

I run the same intake. It's also been proven on the dyno and track to perform.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
ECS is a nice intake, espcially if you want a CF look. However, the AFE Momentum GT is less expensive and arguably performs the same if not better.

The aFe Momentum GT looks nice too. Do you know what the aluminum insert ID's are at the inlet connection?

EDIT: I just realized the specs I provided above on the aFe are for the Magnum Force setup, and the aFe Momentum GT is unknown.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #19
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There are relatively large gaps where the outlets run through the box and the lid basically just sits on the box with 2 set screws to keep it in place. It's a loose fit with no seal. It's a little noisier than the AFE intake because of the gaps, but not remotely as loud as DCI. I'll try to dig up some pics tonight after work. Having used both, I'd just go AFE sealed for less money and be done with it. Also, do a search for the BQ intake if you want an OE/stealth upgrade (larger OEM box + CF inlets), but not sure about RHD fitment.

I assume you mean inlets, but I did mine when I installed the turbos, so I can't really say. For the work involved, I wouldn't waste my time installing them with stock turbos though, just do them when you do the turbos.
Thanks man, yeah I've seen BQ stealth oem box, he tunes my car too, however from memory there's slight customisation need to be done, and I'm all for just straight swapping, no modifying part, I'm not the most mechanically minded!! And if need be I need to revert back to stock, warranty reasons. He did however mention the Z4 cover!
Can you make the ECS intake fully sealed..?
I meant outlets, I already have inlets hey fit my car but I was wondering due to the sheer price are outlets worth it? However rob did say contact him directly.

Quote:
Typically we do not recommend outlets unless you are gunning for the ~550+rwhp range, unless you are RHD then much much sooner. Hit us up directly about the RHD outlets as they are MUCH cheaper than what you have noted here...
This is the setup that has now caught my eye, figure it should have the same tubes as what you have though so the measurements should be the same.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...04531ecs02a~a/

Thanks,
Rob
Apologies to mention but won't this intake cause heat soak that's why I'm partial to the enclosed offerings?
How come if RHD outlets are needed sooner?
I will PM you regarding the outlets buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

Yeah it does look nice it's not that much cheaper though is it, I've seen a mixture of prices for the momentum GT one member managed to get it for $363 from summit.

Hmmm interesting I'm still in 2 minds guys
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #20
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apologies to mention but won't this intake cause heat soak that's why I'm partial to the enclosed offerings?
Sealed airboxes are neat but we don't consider them required to avoid heat soak, especially if they pose any restrictions that would only cause the turbos to have to work harder. If the turbos work harder then they heat the air charge post turbo even further, thus accomplishing the same outcome of similar heat into the air charge pre-intercooler. So the bottom line is that all air ingested by the filter will leave a turbochargers compressor and be heated up tremendously in the process, so having a tastefully flowing well designed air intake/inlet system is going to be most important IMO to extract full turbo efficiency. While it is true it always best to start with a cooler air charge, we feel the amount we are talking about there is fairly nil and you'd be best inclined to buy a high quality Intercooler (ie. Wagner Evo Comp 2/3 or the like) than to spin your wheels on the sealed boxes. But all else created equal and the budget having no limits, a very high end sealed air box setup should have a bit of an advantage you are correct.

Why RHD outlets needing replaced sooner (than the LHD cars) it is due to the provisions that were made to the OEM RHD outlet at the rear turbocharger to clear the steering column, it was SEVERELY crunched up to fit to standards. All great for fitment and servicing but not so great for flow. Of course if flow is impeded to this degree, power potential will follow. In short RHD cars are much more in need of outlets than LHD cars, but if your RHD power goals are in the sub 475rwhp we would just suggest running the OEM outlets there too.

Rob
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, yeah I've seen BQ stealth oem box, he tunes my car too, however from memory there's slight customisation need to be done, and I'm all for just straight swapping, no modifying part, I'm not the most mechanically minded!! And if need be I need to revert back to stock, warranty reasons. He did however mention the Z4 cover!
Can you make the ECS intake fully sealed..?
I meant outlets, I already have inlets hey fit my car but I was wondering due to the sheer price are outlets worth it? However rob did say contact him directly.

Yeah it does look nice it's not that much cheaper though is it, I've seen a mixture of prices for the momentum GT one member managed to get it for $363 from summit.

Hmmm interesting I'm still in 2 minds guys
We'd be happy to send you a quote.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The aFe Momentum GT looks nice too. Do you know what the aluminum insert ID's are at the inlet connection?

EDIT: I just realized the specs I provided above on the aFe are for the Magnum Force setup, and the aFe Momentum GT is unknown.

Rob
Not sure but the stock inlets fit over them perfect. I'd imagine it's a similar dimension to DCI inserts.
Appreciate 0