E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Abit general car maintainance advice please

01-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Abit general car maintainance advice please

Hi All,

Got a few questions:

1) Checked my cars coolant level and I think where the stick is sitting it means its below the low point. Can you check the pics below and confirm or deny this. Also, if it does need filling then what should I use, just distilled water? tap water? BMW only coolant? if BMW coolant where apart from BMW can I get hold of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40055504@N03/4315861485/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40055504@N03/4316593576/

2) Theres some sort of oil resevour that I don't know what it does or whats in it. It seems like it has leaked in the past or someone has had difficulty filling it as there is oil like resedue all round it. Can you look at the picture and tell me what The resevour with the green circle cap is for.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40055504@N03/4315860775/

3) Lastly, when checking the oil on my 335d 56reg with 65k on the clock, Does the dipstick have to be fully pushed into the tube (going past the rubber bung that holds the thing in place) or do i stop pushing and it just sits before the rubber bung that holds it in the tube? if i push it all the way in it says my oil is at max, if I push it upto the rubber bung it says the oil is at min. Hence me being confused!

Thanks Fella's
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Firstly have you . It will tell you how to check the coolant level, although if it was low the OBC would tell you?

I never checked the coolant level on my 335d but if after ascertaining what is the correct level and you do need to top it up, again you'll have to read the manual as some manufacturers would only top up with neat coolant (as Porsches are), others if bought from BMW may be pre-mixed. Bottom line is the coolant has to be mixed, or not as applicable and the coolant itself has to meet the specification stated in the manual. Sure someone on here will know off the top of their head 'cos I can't remember tbh.

The 'oil reservoir' thing is your power steering fluid reservoir.

The dipstick should be pressed 'fully home' into the tube to obtain the correct reading. The engine should be at normal running temp. and have been switched off for about 5 minutes before checking the level. Again the manual will confirm.

I asked you some time ago which part of Hull you were from but you ignored me, so sod ya.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
yes it needs a top up of coolant.

BMW is best.

Don't worry about the other, mine is the same has some oil around it....
as long as level ok

Beemerbird. God I love a woman into cars......
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Can you imagine the possible arguments if you're both into cars........'right I'm driving'........'no, I am'...........'NO I AM'.

Don't know how the situation could be resolved tbh. Mind you don't women always get their own way according to men? Sorted then.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E90 325d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Can you imagine the possible arguments if you're both into cars........'right I'm driving'........'no, I am'...........'NO I AM'.

Don't know how the situation could be resolved tbh. Mind you don't women always get their own way according to men? Sorted then.
Your the exception to the rule Helen!! Sometimes I wish my other half would not think 'Its just a car!!"!!!!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=60056&dateline=126193  4242 LCI E90 M Sport Auto ~ Titanium Silver ~ Black Dakota ~ Rear Tints ~ Heated Seats ~ Folding Mirrors ~ Bluetooth ~ Goodyear F1's ~
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I HATE it when my missus asks to take the BMW. She drove me home recently from the pub in it, we were going along for a couple of mins and I said " you know darl, its got more than 2 gears"

We were still in second.........
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Sorry "beemerbird" if I hadn't replied before. I live outside of Hull, one of the villages to the west of Cottingham.

I did RTFM and it wasn't clear about coolant, hence me asking on this forum.

Thanks for pointing out the power steering reseviour everyone.

Again with the oil, I wasn't 100% about what was said in the manual but you peeps have cleared this up for me.

Thanks muchly
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Firstly have you . It will tell you how to check the coolant level, although if it was low the OBC would tell you?

I never checked the coolant level on my 335d but if after ascertaining what is the correct level and you do need to top it up, again you'll have to read the manual as some manufacturers would only top up with neat coolant (as Porsches are), others if bought from BMW may be pre-mixed. Bottom line is the coolant has to be mixed, or not as applicable and the coolant itself has to meet the specification stated in the manual. Sure someone on here will know off the top of their head 'cos I can't remember tbh.

The 'oil reservoir' thing is your power steering fluid reservoir.

The dipstick should be pressed 'fully home' into the tube to obtain the correct reading. The engine should be at normal running temp. and have been switched off for about 5 minutes before checking the level. Again the manual will confirm.

I asked you some time ago which part of Hull you were from but you ignored me, so sod ya.
woman into cars....so sexyyyyyyyy....with oily hands n sweaty in a rusty garage!....lol
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunna_uk View Post
I HATE it when my missus asks to take the BMW. She drove me home recently from the pub in it, we were going along for a couple of mins and I said " you know darl, its got more than 2 gears"

We were still in second.........
+1

It's almost worth not drinking!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
Sorry "beemerbird" if I hadn't replied before. I live outside of Hull, one of the villages to the west of Cottingham.
Err, we live pretty near to each other, I'm a few miles south west of Cott.

Glad you're sorted with the car, nice motor btw.

Kevin...........thanks for the 'fantasy' low down.
Appreciate 0