E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E82 (1 Series) BMWP Bumper fitted - H/L Washers now dead!!

01-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

E82 (1 Series) BMWP Bumper fitted - H/L Washers now dead!!

Hey all, I just posted this on the 1 series forum, but know you guys have super BMW brains too hence thought it might be worth a try!!

Just fitted the BMW Performance Front Bumper to the car...

It didn't look like there was any need to change the Headlight Washer Jet squirters, even the caps fit correctly.

However, part of the process of removing the bumpers was to lift the squirter, then pull the cap off which involved extending the little spring loaded arm of the squirter fully.

Anyway, cut a long story short, when the BMWP bumper was on... I tested it - everything looks the same, travels smoothly etc - but the squirters dont pop up at all... when I tried it with the squirters held out - the left one does nothing, the right makes a few bubbles but nothing else...

Any ideas how the heck that could have happened???

Thanks
Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

My guess that a pipe might be kinked or may have come loose. Can't see why won't work if the washer caps fit correctly

Its not like you can push the spring loaded mechanism any further in than it already is.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
JonD
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe, M Sport

Any chance the tube feed the jets could have been trapped in any way when the new bumper was fitted. I say this because it seems the more obvious answer becasue they work off water pressure so no prsssure then they wont pop up.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Hey all, I just posted this on the 1 series forum, but know you guys have super BMW brains too hence thought it might be worth a try!!

Just fitted the BMW Performance Front Bumper to the car...

It didn't look like there was any need to change the Headlight Washer Jet squirters, even the caps fit correctly.

However, part of the process of removing the bumpers was to lift the squirter, then pull the cap off which involved extending the little spring loaded arm of the squirter fully.

Anyway, cut a long story short, when the BMWP bumper was on... I tested it - everything looks the same, travels smoothly etc - but the squirters dont pop up at all... when I tried it with the squirters held out - the left one does nothing, the right makes a few bubbles but nothing else...

Any ideas how the heck that could have happened???

Thanks
Matt
Just going back to basics, has the washer bottle level dropped. H/Light washers stop working before windscreen wash stops when level drops. Or I agree kinked or nipped pipe on fitting.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hmm, well they worked fine beforehand, so for levels it seems unlikely (although possible)

The pipework could have been caught up as to be honest I dont think the things happening behind the bumper are all entirely as they should be...

There was a LOT Of plastic tubing to take out relating to old air ducts that were now surplus, so when putting the new ones on it may be that they need a different routing or something...

Matt
Appreciate 0