E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > My M3 Weekend Suspension Project....SoCal...Help Wanted

06-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #67
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

did you keep the vorshlag's installed??
      06-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #68
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 Dinan Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRacer13 View Post
did you keep the vorshlag's installed??
I did not. I sold them with the Pss9. they created some interior vibration that I was not happy with. The camber plates themselves are not loud or noisy. It would be the way to go if I was tracking my car but I feel they where to much for a daily setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #69
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:

After going to a local Alignment shop I was not happy with their setup and their lack of knowledge. I decided to take a trip to HP Autowerks and have Harold take a look at my car to make sure everything looked OK. I would first like to say The shop is very clean and very organized. Harold and Chris where great guys to talk to and hang out with and I have no doubt they do great work, but that being said I left disappointed from their shop. I started off when I got there and found out they do not do in house alignments but send it out to a 3rd party local shop. If I knew this was going to be the case from the beginning I would have never made the drive. moving on, Harold and Chris went through the car and all checked out minus some speed sensor re-routing which was an easy fix. the rest checked out. here's where I feel I got cheated. I had 2 issues that I told Harold I had. 1 my steering wheel is off by a few degree's and 2 my pass front tire needed to be replaced. ( I had the new replacement tire in the trunk) I asked him if there would be a problem replacing the tire and if it would affect anything. he said no, nothing would be affected. moving on, I drove the car to the alignment shop and dropped it off. Harold gave them the specs. I asked them to put a driver/weight in the car when they did the alignment. and gave them the tire to replace. 3 hours later I get the car and as I drive out of there the car is pulling left and my steering wheel is not straight. of course I get pist turn around and walk back in the shop and tell them. They said they followed Harolds specs. Hmmmm, ok but why is it pulling and why is the steering wheel off? he said he would put it back on the rack but I would have to wait another 2-3 hours before they can get to it. Mind you this shop was 3 hours away from home and I still needed to get to work for a project. I was pist got my keys and left. I just drove 130 miles to get a F**Ked up alignment.... I call Harold and he said I need to give them a chance to correct it. I agreed but not wait 2-3 hours... I don't live around there, as it is it will take me 3 hours to get back to work. he then siad it was pulling because of the new tire. WAIT.... did you not tell me it was ok and I would have no issues.... of course I was pist and said ok whatever hung up the phone. I drove 3 hours to work fuming that I just wasted my time, gas and money. so here is my experience. Again I believe they are a great shop and great guys but I will not recommend them to anyone that needs an alignment since they out source it anyways. I have an appointment with my local BMW dealer to get it aligned. I will update the post when the car is complete.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #70
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzepeda View Post
Update:

After going to a local Alignment shop I was not happy with their setup and their lack of knowledge. I decided to take a trip to HP Autowerks and have Harold take a look at my car to make sure everything looked OK. I would first like to say The shop is very clean and very organized. Harold and Chris where great guys to talk to and hang out with and I have no doubt they do great work, but that being said I left disappointed from their shop. I started off when I got there and found out they do not do in house alignments but send it out to a 3rd party local shop. If I knew this was going to be the case from the beginning I would have never made the drive. moving on, Harold and Chris went through the car and all checked out minus some speed sensor re-routing which was an easy fix. the rest checked out. here's where I feel I got cheated. I had 2 issues that I told Harold I had. 1 my steering wheel is off by a few degree's and 2 my pass front tire needed to be replaced. ( I had the new replacement tire in the trunk) I asked him if there would be a problem replacing the tire and if it would affect anything. he said no, nothing would be affected. moving on, I drove the car to the alignment shop and dropped it off. Harold gave them the specs. I asked them to put a driver/weight in the car when they did the alignment. and gave them the tire to replace. 3 hours later I get the car and as I drive out of there the car is pulling left and my steering wheel is not straight. of course I get pist turn around and walk back in the shop and tell them. They said they followed Harolds specs. Hmmmm, ok but why is it pulling and why is the steering wheel off? he said he would put it back on the rack but I would have to wait another 2-3 hours before they can get to it. Mind you this shop was 3 hours away from home and I still needed to get to work for a project. I was pist got my keys and left. I just drove 130 miles to get a F**Ked up alignment.... I call Harold and he said I need to give them a chance to correct it. I agreed but not wait 2-3 hours... I don't live around there, as it is it will take me 3 hours to get back to work. he then siad it was pulling because of the new tire. WAIT.... did you not tell me it was ok and I would have no issues.... of course I was pist and said ok whatever hung up the phone. I drove 3 hours to work fuming that I just wasted my time, gas and money. so here is my experience. Again I believe they are a great shop and great guys but I will not recommend them to anyone that needs an alignment since they out source it anyways. I have an appointment with my local BMW dealer to get it aligned. I will update the post when the car is complete.
I know you were disappointed with the results, but sometimes alignment can be tricky and takes patients to get it right, that applies to both the technician and customer. This is especially so when the vehicle is lowered and not using an oem alignment settings. We have worked with this shop since day one and fixing an off steering wheel or slight pull has never been an issue when given the chance to do so.

Mounting a new tire shouldn't affect the outcome of the alignment unless the diameter has changed enough to cause a pull. An alignment is not going to fix a tire pull, which may be the problem. The only way to find that out is to switch the tires left to right, which takes time that you didn't have. In addition, there is no caster adjustment on the car and having less caster on the driver's side and more on the passenger side, the car will naturally want to pull to the left.

Why we sublet for a laser alignment? Most if not all wants to see results(numbers) of their alignment and there is no way to do with alignment plates(camber/caster guage) and string method we do at the shop so that method is left for the hardcore track guys and racers who didn't need a print out.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #71
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I know you were disappointed with the results, but sometimes alignment can be tricky and takes patients to get it right, that applies to both the technician and customer. This is especially so when the vehicle is lowered and not using an oem alignment settings. We have worked with this shop since day one and fixing an off steering wheel or slight pull has never been an issue when given the chance to do so.

Mounting a new tire shouldn't affect the outcome of the alignment unless the diameter has changed enough to cause a pull. An alignment is not going to fix a tire pull, which may be the problem. The only way to find that out is to switch the tires left to right, which takes time that you didn't have. In addition, there is no caster adjustment on the car and having less caster on the driver's side and more on the passenger side, the car will naturally want to pull to the left.

Why we sublet for a laser alignment? Most if not all wants to see results(numbers) of their alignment and there is no way to do with alignment plates(camber/caster guage) and string method we do at the shop so that method is left for the hardcore track guys and racers who didn't need a print out.

Harold, I agree with you 100% but If I would have known the tire would cause an issue I would have said don't change it and would have replaced both when I got home. I am in no way dissapointed at you guys and your shop I thought it was great. I was just mad that my alignment was off. I did give the keys back to the shop and asked them to fix it. but the guy turned to me and said you have to wait until all the other car are done and it could be a 2-3 hour wait. I drove 3 (1 way) hours to get an alignment and would have been happy if only it where done right. to tell me to wait another 2-3 hours to fix the car... I'm sorry but I'd rather not loose any more money sitting there. it was very hard for me to reschedule clients and work to get to you guys as it is I rescheduled a couple of times with you because of it. I feel normally you get an alginment you wait until it's done drive the car and say ya or nay, in this case the car was aligned parked and waited for the client to get there (me), once I test drove it and said it was off I was put behind the line again... to me I feel I got slapped in the face and was told bad you need wait. This is bad business, or at least I see it that way.

Last edited by jzepeda; 06-24-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #72
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Harold, I agree with you 100% but If I would have known the tire would cause an issue I would have said don't change it and would have replaced both when I got home. I am in no way dissapointed at you guys and your shop I thought it was great. I was just mad that my alignment was off. I did give the keys back to the shop and asked them to fix it. but the guy turned to me and said you have to wait until all the other car are done and it could be a 2-3 hour wait. I drove 3 hours to get an alignment and would have been happy if only it where done right. to tell me to wait another 2-3 hours to fix the car... I'm sorry but I'd rather not loose any more money sitting there. it was very hard for me to reschedule clients and work to get to you guys as it is I rescheduled a couple of times with you because of it. I feel normally you get an alginment you wait until it's done drive the car and say ya or nay, in this case the car was aligned parked and waited for the client to get there (me), once I test drove it and said it was off I was put behind the line again... to me I feel I got slapped in the face and was told bad you need wait. This is bad business, or at least I see it that way.
I did talked to the tech after you expressed your frustrations and he said he drove the car and it felt straight to him. Knowing he does not drive your car daily and don't know it well, he may not be aware of the pull if it's not a drastic one. Both the tech and the shop is willing to perform the alignment again if you are in the area again.

Regarding getting your car back on the alignment rack right away, that is really up to the shop as I have very little control over that.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #73
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I did talked to the tech after you expressed your frustrations and he said he drove the car and it felt straight to him. Knowing he does not drive your car daily and don't know it well, he may not be aware of the pull if it's not a drastic one. Both the tech and the shop is willing to perform the alignment again if you are in the area again.

Regarding getting your car back on the alignment rack right away, that is really up to the shop as I have very little control over that.

I feel my meaning of pulling might not be the same as the techs or yours. it does not yank the car or veer the car to one way, if I hold the wheel straight while driving and carefully let go of the wheel it drifts left. I did say the shop was willing to fix the issues that I said the car is having, but the they told me I had to wait, and I would have waited and was going to, they had my keys and I was sitting there, but when I asked how long it will take, they said i had to wait until all the other cars where aligned... which would be 2-3 hours. Now I have been to many alignment shops and this is not a normal procedure. Ask them to explain how that works... I deal with clients on a day to day basis regardless of the type of job, you do what you can to make the client happy, they tried by saying they would fix it and failed when they basically said your not important enough for me to fix your issue right now, wait until all my other work is done then I will get to you. Harold please understand I am upset that I was disgarded as a customer and not being a local there I did not have the luxury of waiting. all in all it was still a pleasure to meet you and visit your shop and I would highly recommend people to go there and get there car worked on, you have the cleanest shop I have ever been in. what I cannot and will not recommend is the alignment shop I was sent to. I am only judging from personal experience. They might be the #1 shop in the world but to me, simply put, they sucked. I apologize if I have upset you in any way. I would still like to do business with you and I will still order parts from HPA, I just wanted everyone here to know what I am going through so that it may be easier for others when it comes down to thier DIY projects.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #74
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

if an alignment shop doenst know what toe is... id walk away... big red flag. u really couldnt find a local alignment shop and drove 3 hrs to get one? i think thats a huge risk especially if they dont get it right and u want them to redo it
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #75
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
if an alignment shop doenst know what toe is... id walk away... big red flag. u really couldnt find a local alignment shop and drove 3 hrs to get one? i think thats a huge risk especially if they dont get it right and u want them to redo it
I honestly had other motives. I had to return the tool I rented from Harold for the subframe bushings. I also wanted him to verify what I did was good. There are plenty of local shops. I just thought why not go to HPA. Harold and Chris helped me allot while I was installing my suspension. When I had questions or concerns they would answer them. So naturally I wanted to visit the shop and thank them. It's unfortunate that I had a bad experience with the ailgnment shop, but I highly recommend HPA they are very knowledgeable and take great pride in thier work.

Last edited by jzepeda; 06-24-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #76
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since your local to LA, i really suggest you take your car to West End or Platte Forme AG. No point taking it into the dealer and getting ripped off. Both shops are extremely meticulous.
      06-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #77
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great writeup/summary and a pat on the back for taking on a big job DIY....And Outdoors to say the least.

It's nice to see people take on these big jobs themselves. You appreciate the end results just a little more and you know it's done right. I.e. Alignment.

I've had 3 alignments completed on my 35 and only the Dealer was able to get it right. Cheap? Nope..... But it drives straight and the steering wheel is straight.

Again, nice job....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #78
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just want to end the thread with letting everyone know my final outcome. The car was aligned at the dealer a week back and everything is great now. The tire was not changed. I took it as is. car drives straight and steering wheel is dead on. It only took 3 alignments to do it but it's right now. I am still very happy with the results of the suspension upgrade. car feels solid. Thanks for reading and I hope this will help with your install upgrades.

Thanks,
Jorge
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #79
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
I just want to end the thread with letting everyone know my final outcome. The car was aligned at the dealer a week back and everything is great now. The tire was not changed. I took it as is. car drives straight and steering wheel is dead on. It only took 3 alignments to do it but it's right now. I am still very happy with the results of the suspension upgrade. car feels solid. Thanks for reading and I hope this will help with your install upgrades.

Thanks,
Jorge
Nice write up, glad everything worked out for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #80
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks,
Jorge
This was an interesting read, and when it comes to alignments, you NEED a good mechanic. I took my BMW to get aligned at the FORD dealership (insert jokes) because my buddy works there and is an amazing mechanic. He did a great job on the alignment and re-centered my steering wheel spot on without needing to look anything up because he understands how cars work and how they are built. I did the suspension install myself and was ALOT slower than you so great job and enjoy your new mods!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #81
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Just read through this thread. Great job on tackling this all yourself. I want to install sways and subframe bushings. I've been a bit hesitant due to the necessary time investment. However, after reading about that part of the install, I'm starting to think maybe it's something I'd like to take on.

Question: Why did you remove the driveshaft? Is it necessary when lowering the subframe?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #82
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:

Thanks,
Jorge
Glad it worked out for you. It took 2 shops for me. The second being BMW dealer. 7 1/2 hours at BMW to get it right and countless road tests to make sure it didn't pull. I'm pretty sure I drank 4 pots of coffee there and had at least a 1/2 hour conversation with every employee
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #83
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Question: Why did you remove the driveshaft? Is it necessary when lowering the subframe?
Dan, exhaust, drive shaft, and unbolting the rear shocks from the body all need to happen in order to remove the sub frame. Unfortunately, the 4 rear bushings are place from the top of the sub frame; hence, why this mod and operation takes approximately 6 plus hours to accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #84
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

I never realized that. Now that means I would need to buy the ar wrench plus rent the hpa tool.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #85
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
I never realized that. Now that means I would need to buy the ar wrench plus rent the hpa tool.
Yep
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #86
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just read through this thread. Great job on tackling this all yourself. I want to install sways and subframe bushings. I've been a bit hesitant due to the necessary time investment. However, after reading about that part of the install, I'm starting to think maybe it's something I'd like to take on.

Yes, although you will only need to remove the rear portion of the driveshaft to remove the rear subframe. I remove the whole assemble because I wanted to install the DSSR for my SSK. yes you need to get the AR or equivalent 50mm thin wrench to loosen the bolt. There are people on here who have made they're own wrench. it's not pretty but it works. same goes for the subframe tool, you can make one its really not that hard, the hardest part would be to find the material you need. maybe we can start a thread on home made tools that work to get the job done.

Last edited by jzepeda; 07-17-2011 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0