E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > e90 330i suspension options: $1300 budget

06-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Actually, I just read your review of the street comforts and that pretty much answered my question. Thanks for the info. One of these days I am going to pull the trigger on some new suspension / wheels.
Kimi: Now.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwishlist View Post
It's good to hear from someone who has had both. So did you start off with the normal sport package then performance then kw sc?
Yep and Koni fsd between oe sport and ps.
      06-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #25
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
I've had both on my car. KW street comfort will definitely give you better handling and ride quality!
I remember you mentioning that earlier. It blows me away that it can have better handling and ride at the same time. It gives me hope!!
Didn't you have the Performance Suspension springs with Koni yellows though?

Either way, an endorsement of the KW Street Comfort as you mention puts that right at the top of the list. Damn. I'm going to buy one or the other once I find a good installer in Austin.
Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjellyneck View Post
I remember you mentioning that earlier. It blows me away that it can have better handling and ride at the same time. It gives me hope!!
I am not challenging you, but I am not sure how thats possible? Handling and ride are opposite properties in the suspension world, and the trick is to have something that has tolerable ride with good handling charactersitcs, basically compromise somewhere in the middle. In my mind, BMW PS is well compromised by stiffening up from m-sport, but I can def see that anything stiffer would not be enjoyable, at least to me, I already feel every imperfection translated into steering wheel and my behind from the road surface. High speed uneven surface also causes some whitenuckling, anything stiffer would be downright scary.
2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanonj View Post
I am not challenging you, but I am not sure how thats possible? Handling and ride are opposite properties in the suspension world, and the trick is to have something that has tolerable ride with good handling charactersitcs, basically compromise somewhere in the middle. In my mind, BMW PS is well compromised by stiffening up from m-sport, but I can def see that anything stiffer would not be enjoyable, at least to me, I already feel every imperfection translated into steering wheel and my behind from the road surface. High speed uneven surface also causes some whitenuckling, anything stiffer would be downright scary.
Longer front springs, shorter shock bodies ie. increased compression travel, superior damper valving matched to higher spring rates, lower center of gravity. Again, I've had both on my car and the handling AND ride quality are quite a bit better with KW SC than BMW PS.
      06-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #28
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanonj View Post
Yes, I know what you're saying. But people are having success getting both features with the BMWPS and the KW SC also. Other setups as well, but I want
linear springs so either of those setups are on short list for purchase this summer.
Oh....going with good non- run flats made my handling more predicable and the ride more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Longer front springs, shorter shock bodies ie. increased compression travel, superior damper valving matched to higher spring rates, lower center of gravity. Again, I've had both on my car and the handling AND ride quality are quite a bit better with KW SC than BMW PS.

Longer shock travel matched with springs is still limited by available suspension travel. Besides how much longer springs can u install in the front, Bmw ps lower spring plate just above the front tire... I will be moving to non-rft myself after this set wears out.
2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0