E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Study shows gluten free diet increases risk for diabetes

03-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #23
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
It's a protein found in wheat products. Some people have Celiac disease which causes them to actually be allergic to gluten. Many diets nowadays such as Paleo dieting preach that gluten free diets can prevent inflammation and promote overall better health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Something very dangerous to people with Celiac Disease. Gluten is also something idiots will avoid because they think there's some health benefit to not eating gluten.
Thanks for the informative replies
How many people actually have Celiac disease?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #24
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
~1% of the population. Though other people can have gluten allergies and it not be Celiac. My father has an auto-immune disease related to his thyroid and gluten/some food additives cause an immediate allergic reaction for him.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #25
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
Depends on who you ask. Ask medical professionals and its ~1-2%. Ask hipsters or anyone that follows the latest fad diet and its easily 80-90%
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I keep noticing "gluten free" on the corn tortillas.

Umm, eating all those tortillas is going to CONTRIBUTE to your type-2 diabetes.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #27
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I keep noticing "gluten free" on the corn tortillas.

Umm, eating all those tortillas is going to CONTRIBUTE to your type-2 diabetes.
Lol gotta love that, there is no gluten in corn tortillas due to the fact that they aren't made with wheat. Think I could make some dough selling gallons jugs of gluten free water?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #28
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
Lol gotta love that, there is no gluten in corn tortillas due to the fact that they aren't made with wheat. Think I could make some dough selling gallons jugs of gluten free water?
IF you could find some generally overweight people who already drink water to buy more of it.

By and large, most who eat corn tortillas don't drink much water, and certainly won't pay more than $.25/gallon like at the corner store or gas station fillers.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #29
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Depends on who you ask. Ask medical professionals and its ~1-2%. Ask hipsters or anyone that follows the latest fad diet and its easily 80-90%
I knew a guy who had it. We went out to lunch once and he forgot to order a glutten free bun. I knew it at the time but am a dick and didn't say anything.

I waited for him to take his first bite so he could comment on how amazing the bun was. Once I told him why it tasted so good he laughed, called me an asshole, told the staff and they all freaked out.

I did this because I wanted him to just fart like crazy in the office the rest of the afternoon since I don't work anywhere near him.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #30
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
I knew a guy who had it. We went out to lunch once and he forgot to order a glutten free bun. I knew it at the time but am a dick and didn't say anything.

I waited for him to take his first bite so he could comment on how amazing the bun was. Once I told him why it tasted so good he laughed, called me an asshole, told the staff and they all freaked out.

I did this because I wanted him to just fart like crazy in the office the rest of the afternoon since I don't work anywhere near him.
My mom has some crazy friends that are always doing the latest and greatest fad diets. They always talk about gluten and how they are gluten intolerant, but then i watch them eat foods that I know have gluten, but they dont apparently. Dont usually call them out, but I have heard "Well this ____'s gluten doesnt bother me, its the other gluten"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #31
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
My mom has some crazy friends that are always doing the latest and greatest fad diets. They always talk about gluten and how they are gluten intolerant, but then i watch them eat foods that I know have gluten, but they dont apparently. Dont usually call them out, but I have heard "Well this ____'s gluten doesnt bother me, its the other gluten"
I know folks who do the same thing but with diary. They have a "lactose intolerance" but can eat fancy cheese because "rich lactose" doesn't bother them.

Always amusing the BS people like to claim.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #32
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

All the older in-laws are all on the "cheese pill" trip these days. Now they are roping in the next generation 30-somethings.

F that!! If I happen to toot after a bit of cheese, so be it. If you ate less beans, you wouldn't need those cheese pills!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #33
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
I know folks who do the same thing but with diary. They have a "lactose intolerance" but can eat fancy cheese because "rich lactose" doesn't bother them.

Always amusing the BS people like to claim.
This is completely different from lactose intolerance. First of all, it's a sugar, not a protein, and doesn't cause any auto immune reaction destroying your intestine. Second, most cheeses have very little lactose left, it's removed in processing leaving mostly fat. There's no health risk for them indulging on cheese, apart from possible short term discomfort.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #34
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I've read the that people with gluten sensitivity can usually eat artisanal(sp?) breads because these breads use a more "natural" yeast and have extended proofing times which impacts the gluten.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #35
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

If you're on a gluten-free diet and don't have Celiac's or an allergy.

You may be a hipster.
Appreciate 0