E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CDV updated instructions for those doing this mod

01-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Brian GT PRO
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i E92

CDV updated instructions for those doing this mod

Hi guys, wanted to share with you some information about doing the CDV mod. For those who don't know, or have just found out about this mod, there are a few things that NEED to be outlined for you guys so you don't lose your hair doing this simple and effective mod.

The CDV (clutch delay valve) is really a B.S. item and should be one of the first things you yank out of your car (or replace it with one of the hallow ones available out there). It provides a delay to the clutch action that makes you feel like you don't know how to drive a stick properly, once you yank that thing out, you will feel right at home with your car, trust me.

There are pictures on other threads so I won't bore you with that, but I will provide the information that you will need for a succesful mod.

1. Lift the car from the front to gain access to the undercarriage
2. Place jackstand under the car and make sure the car is LEVEL.
3. Remove the access plastic cover
4. Get some visegrips and gently pinch the clutch line (the SOFT rubber part)
5. Get a small flathead and pull the clip out holding the CDV in place
6. Remove CDV and install hose directly to the slave cylinder.
7. Once secure and cliped back in, release the visegrip and check for leaks.
8. Open the brake resevour and add some fluid be VERY careful, brake fluid eats paint.
9. Time to bleed the system.
10. I suggest to make your life a bit easier to get a clear jar can be plastic but so you can see inside of it, put a little brake fluid into the bottom of the jar, poke a hole in the lid and place a small piece of rubber tubing that is large enough to slide over the clutch slave valve, all the way down to the bottom of the jar and emerse it in the brake fluid, the reason is that with a little fluid in there you will be able to see bubbles when air is being released from the system, once you can quick turn open/close the valve and you don't see air bubbles you will be air bubble free and done.

You need the help of a friend here for the bleeding process.

One person gets in the car, other is underneath the car with a 11mm wrench that will be used to loosen up the bleeder valve on the clutch slave cylinder. one of you pump the clutch 4 times (if there is excessive air in the system you may have to return the clutch pedal by hand) on the 4th pump hold the clutch pedal on the floor while the other person releases the 11mm bleeder valve and shuts it, try to do this in a quick turning action. Now repeat the same process over and over untill you feel the clutch come back to life. You will need to do this a few times always making sure to add fluid to the reservour. You will feel the pedal start to get firm and nice. Once the person under the car no longer sees bubbles you're done!!

BIG BTW:, the clutch and the brake share the same reservour, BUT they have different chambers so even if the brake fluid looks high or normal, it does not nessesarily mean that you have fluid in the clutch side, make sure to add fluid!! and use good stuff!!

I hope this will help you do a successful CDV delete.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

It is much easier if you have a power bleeder, or pay a garage around $40 to do the whole job for you. More on this topic in the DIY forum.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
OtuaCarGod
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The nicest car on the lot...

What's up Brian?! Thanks for the post. Welcome to e90post. I'm 3000 drooler from 3si. Are you expanding your shop to tune the N54 now? You sold your orange VR-4, right? Are you done with the 6g72 platform?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Good pointers, I did this with a friend last week and it worked out great. Thanks for the detailed explanations Brian GT Pro.