E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E92 (2006) UK Model - iPod / MS8 Q

12-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

E92 (2006) UK Model - iPod / MS8 Q

After months of stalling, I'm finally getting my audio done by someone next weekend but I want to know how best I can connect my iPod and make it as user friendly as possible.

I have iDrive and I believe the CCC version, it's a late 2006 car.

My kit in it's entireity include:

- JL 12w7 AE-3
- JL HD 600/4
- JL HD 750/1
- JL RLC
- JBL MS-8
- Jehnert XE200 8"
- Morel Hybrid Ovation 2
- Full Custom Boot Build

I want to be able to connect my iPod. It doesn't matter if I can't control via iDrive but will I at least be able to control vol levels via stock HU?

I have tried using several cables to connect my iPhone/iPod via the armrest AUX In but only the right side speaker wants to work for some strange reason....

Please help

Sam
P.S. Can anyone attach a link to the downloadable MS-8 Soundtrack online. I don't have their CD which I figure I'll need come setting up and I've not been able to find this link/sound file anywhere
      12-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

You can set iPod to hard drive mode and use it as a giant USB stick.
      12-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Thanks, how do I do that?
      12-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

BMW ipod retrofit kit
Or
Mobridge
http://www.mobridge-ipod.co.uk/docs/...11.pdf#page=23
      12-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Or Dension gateway 500s

Or Dension gateway 500s
look it up at Dension.com
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Thanks, how do I do that?
In iTunes, I can't remember how, just google it!
      12-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Okay I'll look it up. So after i change the iPod setting to HD, is there a special type of Aux cable that works as alot of them don't.

Also, IF I do decide to opt for one of the gadgets to retain full control of browsing etc via iDrive, will getting any one of these products, Dension 500/500s / Mobridge interefer in any way with the MS8?

I'll be reading into each of these but can you tell me which is going to be the better one/most user friendly and least costly!?

Thanks guys and wishing you a Happy New Year in advance! t - 3h 12m
      12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Dension is cheaper than Mobridge but not cheap.

I would go to there websites and ask questions .
They are pretty good about responding to emails.
Either one will require the CD option be programmed in if you don't already have it . I think one of them has an enabler but I am not sure
what it does.
I have seen the new Dension on Ebay for about 550 and there older model
without a2dp for around 425 US . Can't see how that would interfere with the MS-8 as that's and analog connection and both of these are hooked up through the Most Bus.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Sam
The quality of Aux-in is rubbish. After changing the aux-in plug / cable, you may get the sound in other side but quality of sound is not good.
What I have found is that there is some sort of distortion when I use Aux in but its all good if I use CD player. I have tried multiple aux in cable but no avail.

I've bought O-scope recently and awaiting its delivery. With some experimentation, I will be able to confirm distortion with aux-in.

I am in the same boat as you are, however my preference is to get complete control of steering wheel buttons with ipod/iphone.

I have compared all these options;
BMW ipod kit (made by Alpine) Vs Dension kit Vs MoBridge

If you search their comparison, you will find the answer most relevant to your needs.
Since you have idrive, you can ask the part number of ipod kit compatible with your car from your dealer and get it from ebay (slightly used).

As Ctuna described that you will require to have your HU coded for it to accept. Do not go for old ipod kits which use aux in to send the sound signals to HU. Get the one which fits with MOST.

For my requirements, Dension worked out in terms of quality and best bet for its price. However some have reported MoBridge best. Again, only you can decide which one is best for you.

Remember, these is no point of spending thousands on your sound kit, if your primary source of input is a cause of distortion in your sound system. Use CDs/ MP3s or buy good ipod kit.

Considering the prices of these, I am now thinking of aftermarket Audiophile HU with built in DSP and ability to go completely active (at some stage). So no MS-8 / Bit one / Bit ten and with after market HU, I'll be able to acces ipod / iphone.

If my car ever goes to dealer, putting OEM HU is hardly 15 minutes job and I'll do that.

HTHs.
      01-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Sam
The quality of Aux-in is rubbish. After changing the aux-in plug / cable, you may get the sound in other side but quality of sound is not good.
What I have found is that there is some sort of distortion when I use Aux in but its all good if I use CD player. I have tried multiple aux in cable but no avail.

I've bought O-scope recently and awaiting its delivery. With some experimentation, I will be able to confirm distortion with aux-in.

I am in the same boat as you are, however my preference is to get complete control of steering wheel buttons with ipod/iphone.

I have compared all these options;
BMW ipod kit (made by Alpine) Vs Dension kit Vs MoBridge

If you search their comparison, you will find the answer most relevant to your needs.
Since you have idrive, you can ask the part number of ipod kit compatible with your car from your dealer and get it from ebay (slightly used).

As Ctuna described that you will require to have your HU coded for it to accept. Do not go for old ipod kits which use aux in to send the sound signals to HU. Get the one which fits with MOST.

For my requirements, Dension worked out in terms of quality and best bet for its price. However some have reported MoBridge best. Again, only you can decide which one is best for you.

Remember, these is no point of spending thousands on your sound kit, if your primary source of input is a cause of distortion in your sound system. Use CDs/ MP3s or buy good ipod kit.

Considering the prices of these, I am now thinking of aftermarket Audiophile HU with built in DSP and ability to go completely active (at some stage). So no MS-8 / Bit one / Bit ten and with after market HU, I'll be able to acces ipod / iphone.

If my car ever goes to dealer, putting OEM HU is hardly 15 minutes job and I'll do that.

HTHs.
Sam2,

That's very good avice, thanks!

So after having done some reading I figured as I don't have a CD changer, I'll have to get my car recoded and it seems that MOBRIDGE will better suffice my requirements as it encompasses an all round kit (including Bluetooth). The Dension 500 does not and I understand to get BT via Dension I need to purchase yet another bit of kit. Can you confirm if I am on the right line?

I just think we're at an era of digital music and carrying CDs around isn't that convenient. I'd rather have 1 iPod / HD in the car which will give me access to my 10,000 + songs for whatever the occasion LOL. I'm fed up of listenting to the same songs on CD lol.

I have Bluetooth, iDrive and double slot CD in the car but no CD changer, does that mean I have MOST or I don't have MOST? Sorry for the noob questions but trying to figure it all out before my car goes in for the sound system installation this weekend.

Sam1.

Happy New Year folks!!
      01-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Sam2,

The Dension 500 does not and I understand to get BT via Dension I need to purchase yet another bit of kit. Can you confirm if I am on the right line?
Correct. There are many kits getting sold with BT for approx £200-250 (used).

Quote:
I just think we're at an era of digital music and carrying CDs around isn't that convenient. I'd rather have 1 iPod / HD in the car which will give me access to my 10,000 + songs for whatever the occasion LOL. I'm fed up of listenting to the same songs on CD lol.
I am with you on this and hence I use my iphone to carry my music.

Quote:
I have Bluetooth, iDrive and double slot CD in the car but no CD changer, does that mean I have MOST or I don't have MOST? Sorry for the noob questions but trying to figure it all out before my car goes in for the sound system installation this weekend.

Sam1.

Happy New Year folks!!

If you have professional navigation CCC then you have MOST.
      01-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Great!

Sam2, could you give more info on where these other kits for that price range is available, doesn't matter if used?

What about you, what kit are you thinking of opting for?

Cheers.
      01-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great!

Sam2, could you give more info on where these other kits for that price range is available, doesn't matter if used?

What about you, what kit are you thinking of opting for?

Cheers.

Sam
You can only find them on ebay. I have seen Densions getting sold mainly on ebay. BMW retrofit kits appear rarely and usually do not match with the one I am after.

I was going to buy BMW retrofit kit or Dension but then I made my mind to have after market HU with built in DSP and all audiophile options. And that HU can connect to ipod/ phone directly + USB + memory card.

In your case, since you have idrive, so you have to stick with OEM stuff.
      01-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Gotcha Dude.

What is the difference between getting the Dension Gateway 500 + BT adaptor (BTA1500) for £265 total OR the Dension Gateway 500s BT for £350 other than the fact that the latter is one stop shop whereas the former means having another add-on (BTA1500).. surely the 1st option is more favourable to most given its £100 less dearer?!

Am I missing something?

Sam.
      01-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Would recommend the Denison 500 works perfect . I have purchased the bluetooth adapter just have to get the car coded for bluetooth now. Also ordered the dab radio add-on for it. The spending never spots lol.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha Dude.

What is the difference between getting the Dension Gateway 500 + BT adaptor (BTA1500) for £265 total OR the Dension Gateway 500s BT for £350 other than the fact that the latter is one stop shop whereas the former means having another add-on (BTA1500).. surely the 1st option is more favourable to most given its £100 less dearer?!

Am I missing something?

Sam.

I am not sure about that either. You can send them e-mail and check with them.

While you are sorting out your audio stuff, it is worth of changing your aux-in plug + cable to HU. So you can have sound in all speakers.

Once it is there and if you do not like the quality, then go for Dension / ipod retrofit kit. The reason I said that, as with MS-8 you may not get noise issues.
      01-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
Would recommend the Denison 500 works perfect . I have purchased the bluetooth adapter just have to get the car coded for bluetooth now. Also ordered the dab radio add-on for it. The spending never spots lol.
Hey Macck,
So you bought the Dension 500 + BTA 1500 right? Do you have a CD changer? If not, you’ll need your Car coded… I’m guess you already knew this.. but wondered what price you’ve been quoted if you’re planning on getting the car coded to fool it into thinking it is equipped with the CD changer.

I have iDrive CCC (2006 reg) Professional Nav with the 8.8” screen and double CD slot in the front.. one for CD and one for Nav CD.. I’ll need to get mine coded IF I decide to buy the whole sh’bang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I am not sure about that either. You can send them e-mail and check with them.

While you are sorting out your audio stuff, it is worth of changing your aux-in plug + cable to HU. So you can have sound in all speakers.

Once it is there and if you do not like the quality, then go for Dension / ipod retrofit kit. The reason I said that, as with MS-8 you may not get noise issues.
Good idea mate, I’ll drop them an email and check, better yet I’ll give em a call later today. My audio will be done this time next week DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
I don’t have the MS-8 Sound file CD and can’t seem to locate that on their website, any pointers dude?

Re: your suggestion, I don’t understand what you mean. Are you saying to basically replace the Aux-In under the armrest with another Aux-In? If not, can you please elaborate and also tell me what cable you’re referring to? Is this a fairly simple job or will it turn out expensive? I’m trying to keep costs down as install is already going to cost a shed load.

Thanks bud..
      01-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ive had the gateway installed about six months ago just bought the blue-tooth add on few weeks back. If you dont have cd changer just get it enabled via autologic etc. Works far better than the aux cable . You can scrool playlists etc with steering wheel controls. If you get one get it installed in the front so you have your aux and i-phone cables installed in the centre arm rest.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ive had the gateway installed about six months ago just bought the blue-tooth add on few weeks back. If you dont have cd changer just get it enabled via autologic etc. Works far better than the aux cable . You can scrool playlists etc with steering wheel controls. If you get one get it installed in the front so you have your aux and i-phone cables installed in the centre arm rest.
Ok, thanks. When u say get it enabled via autologic, what exactly does that mean/entail? Sorry, but so much to learn LOL
      01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #20
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks. When u say get it enabled via autologic, what exactly does that mean/entail? Sorry, but so much to learn LOL
Auto logic is the coding equipment my indy uses to code the car. You have to get the car coded to tell it has a CD changer. You will then go to CD on the stereo/idrive (i dont have idrive) select CD and your playlists will come up. Hope that makes sense.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Auto logic is the coding equipment my indy uses to code the car. You have to get the car coded to tell it has a CD changer. You will then go to CD on the stereo/idrive (i dont have idrive) select CD and your playlists will come up. Hope that makes sense.
Gotcha. What would an indy charge (roughly speaking) to code the car to this?
      01-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #22
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. What would an indy charge (roughly speaking) to code the car to this?
Mine charged me 50 quid to code it. Are you near Makkan he seems to have the equipment to do the coding. Youll have to get the CD changer and the Bluetooth enabled.

Appreciate 0