E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > coilovers vs cup kit

05-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
kred
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i 6mt

coilovers vs cup kit

Hey guys, I'm looking at doing some suspension work to my e92. I was wondering the differences in handling/ride quality between a nice cup kit set up to a cheaper pair of coilovers. Obviously a nicer, more expensive set of coilovers would get everyones vote but I am not looking to spend more than $1,000 for parts. I track once a year max but still want to have the car handle well. If I went with the cup kit, stiff would be set for the struts. I had ST coilovers on my e46 and loved them but have never rode in a car with a cup kit to compare.

Thanks
      05-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
AKF12
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 4DR Sedan

I thought cup kits are cheaper than coilovers!!

Check out **********s H&R cup kits. They have Touring and sport styles depending on how low you want. the listed price is $695.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
kred
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF12 View Post
I thought cup kits are cheaper than coilovers!!

Check out **********s H&R cup kits. They have Touring and sport styles depending on how low you want. the listed price is $695.
Yes, they are. I want to know if the $200-300 price difference for a cheap coilover set up would be worth it since I don't want to spend more than $1,000.
      05-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
e90TiAg335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 e90 335i

Garage List
2010 e90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kred View Post
Yes, they are. I want to know if the $200-300 price difference for a cheap coilover set up would be worth it since I don't want to spend more than $1,000.
For under $1k just buy the Sonic Tuning S1s. I've had them on the car for about 2 months and I'm VERY happy with them. Love the stance the car has now!

JB4, DP, VMR V710, Sonic Tuning S1 coilovers, Hybrid Ovations, Soundsplinter 10" and Zapco DC Ref amps
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

I'd recommend you simply do it right the first time and to go with a coilover system. Seeing how you've had experience with the Suspension Techniuqe V1 coilovers by KW on your E46, that would most definitely be the system that I would recommend for you as well on your E92. The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. KW is known for their reinforced and durable suspension components. KW's coilovers have been carefully crafted and designed by studying the flaws of competitors and improving on them. In addition KW coilovers can go lower than just about any other brand and allow you to set your car to a "slammed look", "sporty look", or anywhere in between. In the unfortunate event that anything should happen to your coilovers, KW's warranty backs all their products from manufacturer's defect.

Coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. to further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection. I'll go ahead and shoot you over a PM with more details!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
AKF12
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 4DR Sedan

what about cup kits? what they're good for then?

BTW, how does pricing works for coilover? is the price shown online is for the whole complete kit? may be you can PM for pricing on 06 330xi AWD sedan. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
I'd recommend you simply do it right the first time and to go with a coilover system. Seeing how you've had experience with the Suspension Techniuqe V1 coilovers by KW on your E46, that would most definitely be the system that I would recommend for you as well on your E92. The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. KW is known for their reinforced and durable suspension components. KW's coilovers have been carefully crafted and designed by studying the flaws of competitors and improving on them. In addition KW coilovers can go lower than just about any other brand and allow you to set your car to a "slammed look", "sporty look", or anywhere in between. In the unfortunate event that anything should happen to your coilovers, KW's warranty backs all their products from manufacturer's defect.

Coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. to further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection. I'll go ahead and shoot you over a PM with more details!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
6MTF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post

Could you send me one too please, apreciate it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90TiAg335i View Post
For under $1k just buy the Sonic Tuning S1s. I've had them on the car for about 2 months and I'm VERY happy with them. Love the stance the car has now!
hey. do you still have the sonic tuning s1 coils? how has it fared and handled thus far? good ride? no issues?
      09-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
e90TiAg335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 e90 335i

Garage List
2010 e90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
hey. do you still have the sonic tuning s1 coils? how has it fared and handled thus far? good ride? no issues?
Yep, I still have them. Zero issues and they still ride as great as they did new. Also, just installed another set on a friends e92 and he's happy as well!

JB4, DP, VMR V710, Sonic Tuning S1 coilovers, Hybrid Ovations, Soundsplinter 10" and Zapco DC Ref amps
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90TiAg335i View Post
Yep, I still have them. Zero issues and they still ride as great as they did new. Also, just installed another set on a friends e92 and he's happy as well!
good to hear. how do they compare versus oem sport? and what dampening do you have it set to front/rear?

are they comfortable?