E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Lowering the car experience

06-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey - 2008 xi E92

Lowering the car experience

Hi Everyone,

So i went to this mechanic and was going to ask how much he would charge to change the suspensions on my E92 2008XI. He asked me why I was changing them. I told him to lower the car about an inch or so. So he started telling me how bad of an idea is that and "know what you are getting in to" talk. He said his friend has an M3 and few other friends of his who owns different cars along with 3 series that was lowered. They got there cars torn apart when they hit a pothole and such bumps and spent thousands of dollars.

I am not trying to lower my car to one finger size. I think 2 fingers would be my goal. I have 18" rims and have about 4 fingers of gap on the front tire. I'm thinking to get KW suspension kit or H&R's with 19" rims.

How is the experience with you guys so far? I live in the Boston -MA area and we have a lot of potholes here. After talking to that mechanic made me scared.

Thanks for your time in advance..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
fefo25
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJK1903 View Post
Hi Everyone,

So i went to this mechanic and was going to ask how much he would charge to change the suspensions on my E92 2008XI. He asked me why I was changing them. I told him to lower the car about an inch or so. So he started telling me how bad of an idea is that and "know what you are getting in to" talk. He said his friend has an M3 and few other friends of his who owns different cars along with 3 series that was lowered. They got there cars torn apart when they hit a pothole and such bumps and spent thousands of dollars.

I am not trying to lower my car to one finger size. I think 2 fingers would be my goal. I have 18" rims and have about 4 fingers of gap on the front tire. I'm thinking to get KW suspension kit or H&R's with 19" rims.

How is the experience with you guys so far? I live in the Boston -MA area and we have a lot of potholes here. After talking to that mechanic made me scared.

Thanks for your time in advance..
Sometimes I regret it, mostly love it! Way better stability at high speeds! Im lowered on 19s so its a little harsher ride. Just watch out for potholes and you'll be alright!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Your car won't get torn apart because you're lowered. You definitely sacrifice ride quality for looks and handling so it's a trade-off, you should know that going in. If you're considering lowering your car, it's highly recommended that you switch to non runflat tires as well - otherwise the ride with runflats and a lowered suspension will be extremely harsh. Speaking of harsh, I've heard from many that the ride quality of KW V1's and H&R coilovers is garbage so I would consider a different set up. Possibly the Koni coilover that HP Autowerks offers with Swift springs. You will also have some stock pieces like front sway bar end links prematurely fail because you're lowered. Mine just went after 30k miles (15k lowered) and I ordered some adjustable links, which should keep them from wearing out too quickly in the future.

Anyway, as mentioned, there are definitely times where I wish that I wasn't lowered but the added aesthetics of the lowered stance easily help that feeling.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Your car won't get torn apart because you're lowered. You definitely sacrifice ride quality for looks and handling so it's a trade-off, you should know that going in. If you're considering lowering your car, it's highly recommended that you switch to non runflat tires as well - otherwise the ride with runflats and a lowered suspension will be extremely harsh. Speaking of harsh, I've heard from many that the ride quality of KW V1's and H&R coilovers is garbage so I would consider a different set up. Possibly the Koni coilover that HP Autowerks offers with Swift springs. You will also have some stock pieces like front sway bar end links prematurely fail because you're lowered. Mine just went after 30k miles (15k lowered) and I ordered some adjustable links, which should keep them from wearing out too quickly in the future.

Anyway, as mentioned, there are definitely times where I wish that I wasn't lowered but the added aesthetics of the lowered stance easily help that feeling.
Thanks for the input.

When you say you sacrifice ride quality, what is it that you mean? The ride being harsh? Because fefo25 mentioned above your post that it is way better at higher speeds.

I actually heard good stuff about the KW v1's and H&R's . Now you said that they are bad, makes me think twice. I am a newbie so I really don't know what I'm getting in to either way.

How is your setup? From your profile looks like you have 328 as well and have both H&r and Bilstein? I'm confused? Also are you 19's?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Generally when you lower your car you end up with higher spring rates and different shocks which is a different driving experience than the stock springs and shocks. You'll feel the bumps and potholes a lot more, but you tend to get better cornering and stability when driving at high speeds. Some people are ok with this and some people dislike the harsher ride in the city - particularly if you live in a city with poorly maintained roads. Specifically with the xi's I've noticed that the car tends to float at higher speeds due to the rake allowing air to push up on the bottom of the car. Aftermarket suspensions tend to correct this.

KW V1 and H&R coilovers are popular choices - probably because the vendors on the boards push them pretty heavily. Doyle will say that the spring rates are out of whack, especially on the KW V1s. That being said the KW V1s and H&R coilovers are on the cheaper end and a lot of people do seem to like them. From a pure aesthetics standpoint they are the cheapest route.

I believe MassBimmer is on 18's and is running an H&R spring with Bilstein shock combo. I'm sure he'll chime in
      06-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
BJK1903
BESIKTAS - cArsi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Generally when you lower your car you end up with higher spring rates and different shocks which is a different driving experience than the stock springs and shocks. You'll feel the bumps and potholes a lot more, but you tend to get better cornering and stability when driving at high speeds. Some people are ok with this and some people dislike the harsher ride in the city - particularly if you live in a city with poorly maintained roads. Specifically with the xi's I've noticed that the car tends to float at higher speeds due to the rake allowing air to push up on the bottom of the car. Aftermarket suspensions tend to correct this.

KW V1 and H&R coilovers are popular choices - probably because the vendors on the boards push them pretty heavily. Doyle will say that the spring rates are out of whack, especially on the KW V1s. That being said the KW V1s and H&R coilovers are on the cheaper end and a lot of people do seem to like them. From a pure aesthetics standpoint they are the cheapest route.

I believe MassBimmer is on 18's and is running an H&R spring with Bilstein shock combo. I'm sure he'll chime in

Great input. Thank you.

I don't track or speed that much. All i want is to lower the car maybe an inch and go over the those damn potholes a little easier. I don't want to feel like I left a piece of the car going over the holes. I am a newbie so don't know almost anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
dangeris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 328xi

I have coilovers in my other car and use to love the ride. Now I have a monthly checkup with a urologist I lowered mine recently with Koni Yellows and B&G S2 springs. I'm about 2 fingers in the front, 1 1/2 on the back. Wished it lowered more in the front but i guess I'll be cutting the springs soon to get that drop (joking)
2008 997.1 TT Porsche; 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe - Show Car; 1995 300ZX SMZ #36
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
youngb4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeris View Post
I have coilovers in my other car and use to love the ride. Now I have a monthly checkup with a urologist I lowered mine recently with Koni Yellows and B&G S2 springs. I'm about 2 fingers in the front, 1 1/2 on the back. Wished it lowered more in the front but i guess I'll be cutting the springs soon to get that drop (joking)
Dangeris - How do you like the ride quality now? I've seen pics of you ride post drop and it looks great! I was originally planning on using the Eibach pro kit with the Konis, but you may have swayed me . Do you think you're riding the same height as H&R sports, or a little higher? Reason I ask is that I find the H&R sport drop to be a little TOO dropped for my tastes, and have heard the ride is a bit too firm. Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #9
SlantedEyeXI
Cookied
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Bro, anything is better than the crappy xi stock suspension, from the unbelievable rake to the car sounding like you broke the entire front end when you hit a bump. As long as you know how to drive and to avoid the pot holes and take it easy on the bumps, you're fine whichever route...coils or shock spring combo.

Just kill the rake and your RFT tires, and enjoy your ride
      06-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

No regrets - love it - went Dinan, which are koni's i believe.
      08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I've got a 335i M sport Cabrio. Changed the OEM springs with B&G S2 springs. Awesome feel in corners but I feel like it's time to change the OEM shocks with an aftermarket one. Which aftermarket shocks will suit B&G S2 springs for E93 335i?

Koni Sport? Koni FSD? Or a different one? Anyone have ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
I live in New Jersey and our roads suck bad. I had Bilsteins with H&R sport springs for 6 months and after the euphoria of getting rid of the XI wheel gap wore off the ride was just way too abusive.. I now have the same Bilsteins but I changed the springs to the eibachs for the 335i and the ride quality and drop is perfect. Firm but not soul shattering over potholes and large bumps in the road like the H&Rs. I drive to work in a suit and tie and I am not a freakin race car driver. I think the handling is a little less aggressive but the ride quality and perfect drop more than make up for it. The H&Rs dropped the rear too much and not enough in the front.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
I'm really considering KW V1 also, what's the downside to them?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
I live in New Jersey and our roads suck bad. I had Bilsteins with H&R sport springs for 6 months and after the euphoria of getting rid of the XI wheel gap wore off the ride was just way too abusive.. I now have the same Bilsteins but I changed the springs to the eibachs for the 335i and the ride quality and drop is perfect. Firm but not soul shattering over potholes and large bumps in the road like the H&Rs. I drive to work in a suit and tie and I am not a freakin race car driver. I think the handling is a little less aggressive but the ride quality and perfect drop more than make up for it. The H&Rs dropped the rear too much and not enough in the front.
This ^^

"soul shattering". Lol

Great thread. Every xi driver looking to upgrade should read this.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
DLam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

i got the kw v1 installed and loving it so far. I lowered the front to have 1 finger gap and rears 2 finger gaps with 19s. Once it settles a bit i will lower the rear to have 1 finger gap. So far its great
      08-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Laguna3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55 E92 Msport

I've been running KW V1s with 20"s for a couple of years now on. So far so go, but I just wish the springs were stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna3 View Post
I've been running KW V1s with 20"s for a couple of years now on. So far so go, but I just wish the springs were stiffer.
Why? Does it rub on bumps?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #18
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Quote:
+1

I've had my KWV1s for three years now...25k miles...much better than stock ridewise and looks great...1 finger gap on 18s in front, 1.5 fingers in back.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
Laguna3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Why? Does it rub on bumps?
When I hit dips on the road, I rub a bit in the rear driver side inner fender almost all the time. Might add an extra bumpstop or two.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
When I hit dips on the road, I rub a bit in the rear driver side inner fender almost all the time. Might add an extra bumpstop or two.
This probably won't happen with 19''s right? I'm getting kw v1 soon and considering spacers, obviously I'm going to roll my fenders but will it rub??
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
Laguna3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It depends on the width and offset of the rims, also the tires. But most 19" application have no issues, even without fender roll.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

I don't regret lowering my car but it does severely limit where I can drive. I live in New York but do not keep the car here due to the ridiculously bad roads/potholes....the car sits in NJ where the roads aren't even that great either. The ride is harsh at times but I love the look of a lowered car. Handling is drastically increased...and the car feels like a rock solid tank...I like that "heavy" feel. I'm running H&R springs for xi with Bilstein Sports + 19's and non runflats. The non runflats definitely help. I still cringe though everytime I hit a pothole..and I spend most of my time worrying around road conditions and swerving to avoid imperfections in the road. My wife thinks I've lost my mind. Overall, lowering can be very impractical for a number of reasons...but if you want the aggressive, sporty look combined with much "tighter" handling -- I would highly recommend.
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0