E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Pioneer Appradio 2 SPH-DA100 install (double din)

07-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Pioneer Appradio 2 SPH-DA100 install (double din)

Hello All,

After researching for ages how to install a double din into a E92 and coming up with scarse and often conflicting information. I have decided to document my install on here for a definative answer to all those wanting to know how.

I have chosen to fix a Pioneer Appradio 2 Sph-da100. I chose this over the Pioneer AVH-4400BT and the Dynavin DVN-E9X Android (d99).

I have previously fitted various alpine and pioneer units to my previous cars and of recent have been favouring pioneer because of the functionality and cost of repair outside warranty. Most recently i've own an AVH-5100DVD and a AVIC-X3.

Why i chose a aftermarket rather than a retro fit?

My 2007 E92 does not have telephone prep. and when i drove a 2011 E92 with idrive was not impressed at all. Kept thinking my nav on my phone was better. In fact before the 1st appradio was released i was trying to work out how to get my tom tom app on my car screen - check the video

I looked into the Dynavin route next. Yes is looks tidyer than a double din install, but look closely and you we see the images show 2 big screw cavities either side of the unit

http://www.dynavinstore.com/shop/bmw...9-android.html

Also as other have pointed out previous units weren't able to display contact names (D99 models can). But i wasn't sold on the UI or the £750 price and had heard that all warranty repair go back to the far east.

But the android side of dynavin was very interesting until you realise that it's a separate OS to the main UI and the two operate indepentantly and you'd forever be switching between the two. Plus the version of android installed is now very old (either froyo 2.2 or gingerbread 2.3) Android elsewhere is up to Jelly Bean 4.1 and newer apps aren't supported on all older versions.

That left me with gioing back to the tried and tested pioneer units. this time instead of getting a all in one unit i was going to try the AVH-4400BT with optional AVIC-F220 nav upgrade. It's a really good system and works very well however the costs were only marginally cheaper than the Dynavin

I had seen the original Appradio and reviews weren't that great plus it was iPhone only and i now use Android (in my geekishly opinion android is better depending on what device you have but thats just my pref)

When pioneer announced the Appradio 2 with android compatibility i researched alot and despite lack of android demos i made my decision.

Pros

Android users can run a ipod in addition to the phone
7 inch multu touch screen
use of google maps for nav as well as other apps
playback of drm protected videos
Built in BT

Con

Iphone users cannot run a separate ipod
Android users require CD-AH200C cable to connect device (extra £40)
No CD/DVD drive
Compatible apps are limited more so on android but constantly added to

I've had several in car dvd system and have only found myself twice watching a film but never getting to finish watching it and most of my films are video file anyway.

I'm not really one for CD either and have been running my music off of ipods since 2005.

So this unit was looking good and the price was far cheaper than most currently £229.99 from halfords

I've just picked up a month old unit on ebay for £260 and need to buy the facias adapter and interface leads

The connects2 CTKBM01 kit includes ISO lead, facia, steering wheel controls, parking sensor interface and aerial adapter

I'm also going to install a cheap reversing camera off ebay just for kicks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Ca...17%26rk%3D1%26

Anyway i'm getting tired of typing but will be documenting the install to produce some kinda how-to guide for all to use

So check back for updates (maybe give me a prod if your interested)

see y'all soon
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Looking forward to it
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
R1k
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330D

Will definatly be looking forward to this. Was looking at coming away from the stock HU but most double din units either had blue red illumination etc so wouldnt look good. then looked at the dynavin units but put off by customer reviews.

This one looks like it will tie in nicely. The connects2 CTKBM01 is a little steep but if you get to keep parking sensors etc then fair enough.

Lots of pics and a guide please & good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1k View Post
Will definatly be looking forward to this. Was looking at coming away from the stock HU but most double din units either had blue red illumination etc so wouldnt look good. then looked at the dynavin units but put off by customer reviews.

This one looks like it will tie in nicely. The connects2 CTKBM01 is a little steep but if you get to keep parking sensors etc then fair enough.

Lots of pics and a guide please & good luck
Your right, it is a bit steep but if it does the job then i'm happy. No doubt it will come with ikea style instructions but connect2 have a technical line and they are usually good if not slow
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, so i found a video of basically what i wanna do. I'll be using a different flush mounting facsia.

Can you see that yellow wire with the fuse on it? It's in the attached PDF instructions you get with CTSBM005 harness (included in CTKBM01 kit). The instructions give you some vague idea where this wire goes but i don't do vague very well. So at this point this is the only show stopper i can see.

Well that and finding a suitable place for the usb cable from the CD-AH200C. I currently leave my phone in the door grab whilst driving so i don't forget it. But don't fancy routing the cable through the door card. 2nd choice is ashtray
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CTSBM005.pdf (607.6 KB, 631 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 Msport

I have a Janus design double din bezel, fitting kit and necessary interfaces selling if interested. I also have heated seated button relocation panel also. Check classified for details.

Last edited by cage911; 07-24-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage911 View Post
I have a Janus design double din bezel, fitting kit and necessary interfaces selling if interested. I also have heated seated button relocation panel also. Check classified for details.
cheers, but i prefer the radio above the climate controls
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooli9 View Post
cheers, but i prefer the radio above the climate controls
No problem, just remember that the bezels with the climate controls do not follow the lines of the dash and do not sit flush; hence why I went for the Janus design bezel.

Let me know if you need any other other parts, heated seat button relocation panel, steering wheel patch lead, connect2 reverse sensor interface. I have these all selling as well.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709800
      07-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage911 View Post
No problem, just remember that the bezels with the climate controls do not follow the lines of the dash and do not sit flush; hence why I went for the Janus design bezel.

Let me know if you need any other other parts, heated seat button relocation panel, steering wheel patch lead, connect2 reverse sensor interface. I have these all selling as well.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709800
Where does the yellow lead from the steering wheel interface connect in the fuse box?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooli9 View Post
Where does the yellow lead from the steering wheel interface connect in the fuse box?
You need to run this straight to the battery unfortunately. You need a permanent live. All the live feeds around the dash area are gone 20 minutes after the ignition is switch off causing your memory settings to clear on the stereo.

Edit: my car has auto stop/start which is why I had to go straight to the battery
      08-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh ok mine doesn't have that as its auto
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a quick update, need some funds to pay for CD-AH200C, rear camera and install kit. Was hoping to upgrade my phone and sell my SGS2 to do that but the phone i want won't be released till October. Bright side is that it will be a Galaxy S3 LTE so i'll get all that 4G goodness connected to the pioneer
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

also i found this new micro bypass for video in motion

http://microbypass.com/index.php?act...od&productId=9

may give it a try also if the current bypass doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #14
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just another update - i'll be ordering my CTKBM01 on friday but ran into a problem when trying to order the CD-AH200C. Many if not all car audio stores have stopped stocking this and started selling the CA-ANW-200 instead, with one retailer stating that the CA-ANW-200 is the better version as the other kept breaking and later went on to say the CD-AH200C wasn't out to order yet (complete BS).

After speaking to Pioneer, they explain there is a difference betwwen the two cables.

CD-AH200C allows you to connect an Android phone using its own dedicated port. which in turn allows you to connect an ipod or iphone simultaneously to play music from

CA-ANW-200 use the same port as the included ipod/iphone cable from the radio and as such will not allow you to run a ipod/iphone also.

Halfords or any car audiostore can order the CD-AH200C but have to do so direct from Pioneer. and you may have to educate them of the fact.

This is only for people wishing to run an android phone
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

CD-AH200C is now ordered, funnily when going to Halfords the guy on the car audio desk wasn't usually on that section but managed to find all the info the other guy couldn't. Halfords system even mentions the differences between the two cables.

Also decided against the backup camera as the better designed ones are £60
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #16
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE:

The connects2 kit for the car has arrived and i'll try and get some pics up soon

The CD-AH200C i ordered is now weeks/months away due to supplier problems Pioneer has, which would normaly be a problem but.....

Someone t-boned me on a roundabout and my car is away to be fixed/totalled. Whether they write the car off or not, the system is still going in an E92 regardless
so stay tuned
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I use one of this in our C Class estate, it's an OK system.

Sound quality is average, it needs amps adding.
Usability is great as I only use my ipod and plug the iphone in only when needing nav.
NavFree works brilliantly btw.

I am perfectly happy with it, and think it looks quite neat...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:

Cd-AH200C lead has arrived along with the CTKBM001

I have my new Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE in titanium silver

all i need now is my car back lol

Still trying to figure out where this yellow cable supposedly fits nice in that fusebox??? Any ideas??

see pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

hey did you actually go through with the install? i have the standard professional with bt, but not being able to control the iphone is pissing me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Not yet, still haven't got my car back. They say end of this week. But i have had a nice 335d LCI to drive all this time so its not so bad. hopefully i can get it done before Christmas
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Also i found a brilliant guide for a dynavin install but it's applies to all double din stereos. All credit to caraudiocraze.com for a brilliant guide.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90-Install-Guide1.0.pdf (8.06 MB, 7552 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

also see iPhone 5 & ios 6 compatibility

http://www.appradioworld.com/2012/10...ty-charts.html
Appreciate 0