E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > how can i get music from my 335?

09-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
alexukie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

how can i get music from my 335?

i have 1646 songs on my 335.. how do i get them to my iphone??
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

place the iphone on the center armrest.
press record to save memos.
play a song on the car stereo.
repeat 1645 more times.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
repeat 1645 more times.
this^
it also works on the 1 and 5 series!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
alexukie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
repeat 1645 more times.
but really
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

I use a USB stick to sync songs, but try hooking the iPhone to the USB port in the glove box, then press options on iDrive in the music menu, then try backing up the songs to the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
BiliBug
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Low Key OG View Post
I use a USB stick to sync songs, but try hooking the iPhone to the USB port in the glove box, then press options on iDrive in the music menu, then try backing up the songs to the iPhone.
I don't think this is going to work. When you import songs onto the iDrive hard drive, it converts them to a "BMW proprietary format". What it does is reverse the sample bit order or something like that.

You can do a regular backup of your songs to a flash drive. There is a program called Br-Converter that only works on Windows. It will convert the files to a standard format - WMA, unfortunately.

I guess it is a lame attempt to avoid having someone sticking a flash drive in your car and pirating your music. BMW clearly assumes that you own, and have possession of the original files, so you would never need to pull them off the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
wepio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

I tried asking this question on a different thread, but I haven't gotten any resonses. I am hoping one of you guys can help.

I just got a 2009 E92. Loaded up music from a flash drive. Does anyone know if you can move the files out of a directory? It is very annoying to have a new directory created each time I load music. I just want all the music folders shown when I recall the "Music Collection" function.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
BiliBug
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wepio View Post
I tried asking this question on a different thread, but I haven't gotten any resonses. I am hoping one of you guys can help.

I just got a 2009 E92. Loaded up music from a flash drive. Does anyone know if you can move the files out of a directory? It is very annoying to have a new directory created each time I load music. I just want all the music folders shown when I recall the "Music Collection" function.

Thanks!
From the manual, my understanding and experimentation, the iDrive system creates a new folder each time it imports from a USB drive, containing all the songs on it. To import as individual albums, you would need to copy the album to USB drive, import, and then repeat the process for a different album. AFAIK, there is no way to move the files around once imported.

If you import from a CD, it will "rip" the album and tag it correctly. I gave up with it all, and keep a 30gb ipod plugged into the connector in the console.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
wepio
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
Thank you for the response. I am also about fed up with, and about to abandon, the internal HDD. I would like to get the 160GB iPod Classic to handle my music, but don't know if it'll interface with the iDrive screen. Currently, I'm using my 2nd Gen iPod Touch, but it only works via auxilliary. Do you know if the iDrive/iPod Classic interface allows for album art, playlist, and on-screen interaction via USB (and not any propriety BMW connection cables)?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
BiliBug
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the response. I am also about fed up with, and about to abandon, the internal HDD. I would like to get the 160GB iPod Classic to handle my music, but don't know if it'll interface with the iDrive screen. Currently, I'm using my 2nd Gen iPod Touch, but it only works via auxilliary. Do you know if the iDrive/iPod Classic interface allows for album art, playlist, and on-screen interaction via USB (and not any propriety BMW connection cables)?

Thanks again!
I'm pretty sure, that since you have a 2009 like I do, you have the old combox. This does not allow you to interface with "BMW Apps", or get album art, etc. You should also not be able to see or control your iPod with only the white apple 30 pin to USB connector.

Your car, with the iPod interface feature, would have an auxiliary jack and a USB port under the console. It would also have come with the $80 BMW "Y-connector" iPod interface cable, which is mandatory to be able to connect an iPod with the iDrive in order to control it and get track information. The cable has a 30 pin connector on the iPod side, and a USB and analog audio plug, which connect to both ports under the console. My understanding is that it pulls analog audio through the 30 pin connector to be able to play apple formatted and DRMed music files through the head unit (the iPod does the digital to Analog conversion).

I was successful in using this cable to originally connect my iPhone 4, and currently use it with a permanently attached white 30 GB iPod 5th Gen (video), similar to the classic.

The only problem i've run into is that your tags and naming conventions are uber important. I have quite a few "greatest hits", "best of" and "single" folders as album names. It is hard to sort and select the exact album I want to hear. I suppose playlists would help, but I've never really used them, so I don't know how well they work (or don't). I also have about 6000 songs on the iPod, so there is a big chance for duplicate titles.

A friend voiced his concern about using a harddrive based iPod in the car. I have had a Phatbox (Music Keg), which is just a glorified portable hard drive interface, in my Passat for almost 10 years. Haven't had an issue, although it is a little slow to start during very cold weather. However, it is located in the trunk, which gets very little in terms of heat or ventilation. I would imagine that the center console would be a bit more kind to electronics.

Hope my rambling helps!!

Last edited by BiliBug; 10-01-2012 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: correction - "image" to "imagine"
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
wepio
Private
Rep

That was a lot of useful information; thank you very much. I purchased the car used, and unfortunately, the OEM Y-cable did not come with (and a couple tools from the trunk, which I'm a little peeved over). I doubt the combox is upgradable to a more recent version to permit direct handling of the iPod, right?

Maybe if I get annoyed enough, I'll just spring for the exorbitantly priced OEM cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
BiliBug
Rep

Quote:
That was a lot of useful information; thank you very much. I purchased the car used, and unfortunately, the OEM Y-cable did not come with (and a couple tools from the trunk, which I'm a little peeved over). I doubt the combox is upgradable to a more recent version to permit direct handling of the iPod, right?

Maybe if I get annoyed enough, I'll just spring for the exorbitantly priced OEM cable.
Re the tools, I think there is only a screw driver and tow attachment (and sunroof wrench, if you have one). BMW stopped supplying the rest of the tools before our model year, so it may not be the case that anything is "missing".

If you bought your car CPO, you could try to beg the y-cable off the dealer, since it should have come with one, and the ipod adapter feature is useless without it.

There are threads about upgrading the combox. I think it gives you the ability to stream from a bluetooth mp3 player, but interferes with iphone connectivity. More here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=combox
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Combox is upgradable via aftermarket as BiliBug mentions, but expensive and not without tradeoffs.

For the Y cable, this one works and is $22. It's what I bought for my 2010 CPO that didn't come with a Y cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #14
wepio
Private
Rep

Thank you both for the reply. I researched the forums a bit and found a thread to retrofit to the new combox. However, I haven't been able to find out of the retrofit uses OEM hardware, but with aftermarket wiring harnesses, or if it's a completely aftermarket combox. Secondly, how do I get MY2009 upgraded to MY2011.5 after the retrofit?

I don't fully understand why I can't purchase an OEM combox, and then get the wiring harness to mate the hardware.
Appreciate 0