E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Throttle Response

11-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Arrow Throttle Response

I've read plenty of information about the PBX tune, but all the focus is mostly on the performance gains. I could care less, all I want is better throttle response so I can actually down shift correctly. I got used to the response of an M3 in M mode so I can't stand the way it is now. Would anyone recommend this? It's a 6mt 328. Thanks!
      11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

AA stage II tune has nothing but good remarks about it, if you're going to chip it. It deletes throttle delay and works well with a three stage manifold, and adapts to your mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I second the AA tune plus remove the clutch delay valve (search the DIY for more info).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
I never really gave the tune some thought, I think I rather spend the money in something that I would be able to resell if and when I decide to sell my e92. I'll look into it though. Thanks!

Any other suggestions?
      11-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
I played around with the BMS PBX and to be honest, I didn't like it. Maps 1 - 3 give you varying throttle maps for sharper response as well as a slight tune. I found Map 3 was way too aggressive and artificial feeling for my liking, Map 2 was better. Map 1 was also not too bad. Couldn't really feel that much of a difference between Maps 1 - 3 and 4 - 6. But with Maps 2 and 3 for instance, while town driving speeds, gear changes did feel a bit more positive, I found that flat out accelerating through the gears was very jerky and tricky to get right compared to Map 0 (PBX disabled).

The problem is that all the PBX is doing as I understand it, is changing the throttle response curve and I gather with the tune it is also making the 100% throttle value earlier in the throttle travel, so pressing the throttle pedal further and to the floor makes not difference. But the biggest problem is that the PBX cannot overcome the default throttle delay - this is what is causing the problem. By sharpening up the throttle sensitivity but not changing the reaction time, all that you end up with is a more annoying and unpredictable throttle.

So I gather the AA tune which flashes the ECU is able to overcome this. I have since removed the PBX and just living with the normal throttle feel...

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Gamboa989
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92

Garage List
2009 Bmw 328i  [0.00]
I've been doing the same kind of research as the OP and I think that I would go with the AA tune. The reviews are all positive and If you have a shop nearby its easy to have done.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Interesting, thanks a lot for the response. I guess maybe I will hold off on it then. I just really hate the way it is now.
      11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarForHire View Post
Interesting, thanks a lot for the response. I guess maybe I will hold off on it then. I just really hate the way it is now.
This was my exact same motivation for trying this, not for the imaginary amount of power gains (there isn't any), but it didn't really improve the throttle feel for me, just made it more unpredictable - manual gearbox BTW...

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep

There's always the sprint booster for $300, I think. That is, if you don't want to tune it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunners_Mate View Post
There's always the sprint booster for $300, I think. That is, if you don't want to tune it.
As I understand it, does much the same thing ultimately?!

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
As I understand it, does much the same thing ultimately?!

Sadly, it just affects throttle response, lol. You're better off getting a friction tune, for that price!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Light_Em_Up
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128is

Try deleting your carbon intake filter and also installing a K&N filter like the one used in the BMW performance intake. It improved the throttle response on my 128 not by a huge amount but it was noticeable.
      11-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarForHire View Post
There probably won't be anything else that will come out for our cars. The AA tune does make the car a lot faster. Here is a link to read about it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634855
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Mine has the Euro air box so does not have that carbon intake filter, and throttle is still delayed - hate this ECU second guessing my inputs, prefer a more direct input!

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

for just throttle response, I really liked the pbx. I have the AA tune now, but before that the pbx gave the car much better throttle response (I have an automatic though). You can also just run it without the tune if you don't think the tune is smooth enough.

They are a pretty good deal if you can pick one up used.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
for just throttle response, I really liked the pbx. I have the AA tune now, but before that the pbx gave the car much better throttle response (I have an automatic though). You can also just run it without the tune if you don't think the tune is smooth enough.

They are a pretty good deal if you can pick one up used.
I never did get why better throttle response is as crucial for automatics though. But for manuals you do need predictable response and feel, and for me, I found that the PBX just took away the predictable throttle in most cases and made it quite jerky overall. If it was able to rid the throttle of the delay then this would have been a different story, but since it is simply modifying the default throttle map, it cannot affect this. I reckon, get rid of the throttle delay, and that by itself will yield a far far better throttle for all driving conditions - accurate lightning fast or slower gear changes would be so much easier and consistent.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I never did get why better throttle response is as crucial for automatics though. But for manuals you do need predictable response and feel, and for me, I found that the PBX just took away the predictable throttle in most cases and made it quite jerky overall. If it was able to rid the throttle of the delay then this would have been a different story, but since it is simply modifying the default throttle map, it cannot affect this. I reckon, get rid of the throttle delay, and that by itself will yield a far far better throttle for all driving conditions - accurate lightning fast or slower gear changes would be so much easier and consistent.
+1 that's all I ask for. I guess I have to just get used to it.
      11-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
because the autos have terrible throttle mapping (especially on the earlier years). Also, I see you have a 330i, which has much better mapping than the 325i and 328i already. That's why it was so jerky with your car.

If the OP has a 325i or 328i, the pbx won't be as jerky.
Appreciate 0