E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake wear sensors covered under extended warranty/maintenance?

04-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
pquarta1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Brake wear sensors covered under extended warranty/maintenance?

Had the red brake indicator light and lift. SA told me needed software update b/c FOB indicated -390,000 mi for brake pad replacement. Turns out that did not fix the problem, but replacing front and rear sensors fixed the problem.

Trying to charge me the $50.00 deductible on CPO warranty for software. Wasn't the problem, so no deductible being charged... BUT, he then said I have to pay for new front/rear sensors (parts only). He further stated that they are being kind and eating the labor on the replacement.

Are brake pad sensors covered under extended warranty or maintenance (I have both)?

Thanks!
      04-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So the dealer price for the sensors are about $50 total. I'm of the understanding that any CPO work has a $50 deductable anyway. Seems to me they could get you either way for the cost of the sensors. What I don't understand is why the CBS just popped up with -390,000 for brake pad replacement and replacement of the sensors cured the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
pquarta1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

No idea. They said there was an open loop detected in the front sensor (i.e., it was broken). I am going to check my pads and see if they were screwing with me.

I saw the key readout --- it read -390,000, so something was array. It also said I had 266% left on front pads, so...

Anyhow, I did call them on the price and they changed it. They were upcharging the MSRP by nearly double. It was not a CPO issue, so no deductible was required; was a maintenance issue indicated by CBS.

I hate dealers. They BS to make every last penny.
      04-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pquarta1 View Post
No idea. They said there was an open loop detected in the front sensor (i.e., it was broken). I am going to check my pads and see if they were screwing with me.

I saw the key readout --- it read -390,000, so something was array. It also said I had 266% left on front pads, so...

Anyhow, I did call them on the price and they changed it. They were upcharging the MSRP by nearly double. It was not a CPO issue, so no deductible was required; was a maintenance issue indicated by CBS.

I hate dealers. They BS to make every last penny.
Yep, that's dealers for you. What everyone should realize is the "free maintenance " plan is really an finance-interest game for BMW. They make you pay for the maintenance up front, pocket the cash, put it in the bank (or invesments) make interest on the money, then try not to fork it back over when the maintenance requirements come up.

Sounds right if the sensor wire was broken. Still "266% left on the pads" should be in the software code.
Appreciate 0