Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Style 179 rim leaking air?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
tsa1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Style 179 rim leaking air?

So for about a month now my rear driver side tire has been losing pressure at about 1psi a day. I could not find any damage to the tire other than some wear on the inside so I took it to a tire shop where I was assured that the tire was fine.

They had the rim and tire floating in water and the tech sprayed some water where the two pieces meet and low and behold, small bubbles. The rim itself has no curbing or bends. Has this happened to anyone else before?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i M-Sport

Are you seeing this loss from your tpms, or manually checking?

You need to manual check pressure to verify tpms sensor is ok.
      10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Style 179 rim leaking air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa1 View Post
So for about a month now my rear driver side tire has been losing pressure at about 1psi a day. I could not find any damage to the tire other than some wear on the inside so I took it to a tire shop where I was assured that the tire was fine.

They had the rim and tire floating in water and the tech sprayed some water where the two pieces meet and low and behold, small bubbles. The rim itself has no curbing or bends. Has this happened to anyone else before?

Thank you in advance.
What do you mean, "where the two pieces meet"?
Do you mean at the bead between the tire and rim?
If so, yes. A dirty bead area can cause a leak.
I had a car where the shop didn't clean wheel and the bead area leaked like crazy.
I also had a set of two piece ATS wheels that had physical damage but I hit a pothole and put a hairline crack in the barrel of the rim. When I had the shop put the wheel in a tank, they thought it was leaking where the wheel bolted together. That is, until I explained the barrel is one piece nad the face bolts to the barrel with no chance for air leak. They took a closer look. Barrel had a crack.

Anyway, you have multiple places where air can leak and you don't need to see damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
tsa1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
What do you mean, "where the two pieces meet"?
Do you mean at the bead between the tire and rim?
If so, yes. A dirty bead area can cause a leak.
I had a car where the shop didn't clean wheel and the bead area leaked like crazy.
I also had a set of two piece ATS wheels that had physical damage but I hit a pothole and put a hairline crack in the barrel of the rim. When I had the shop put the wheel in a tank, they thought it was leaking where the wheel bolted together. That is, until I explained the barrel is one piece nad the face bolts to the barrel with no chance for air leak. They took a closer look. Barrel had a crack.

Anyway, you have multiple places where air can leak and you don't need to see damage.

TPMS is fine, I manually checked the tire over the past week. Stem is fine as well.

The Air seems to be coming from the lip by where the screws/rivets are on the face of the rim and where it meets the barrel. This is where we saw the air bubbles. But like you said it could be something else.
I'm taking it to a shop soon but I have a severe distrust in shops and the closest reputable shop is pretty far. I'll see what this other place says is wrong.
Appreciate 0