E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New turbo's needed

03-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Need turbo\'s

Ok need to get some new turbo's and I might as well upgrade them since I don't want the same problem with stock. Does anyone know if anyone is having any deals on upgraded turbo's. Already have jb4 g5 and downpipes. Will be upgrading IC also. Any info is greatly appreciated. 07 335i Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

Does no one knows about any deals going on right now?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Check out vargus turbo and rb turbo. Vargus has sales every once and while
      03-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

what problems are you having with the stock ones
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er
what problems are you having with the stock ones
Seals are going bad. Starting to leak oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
stephanie335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
I'm having the same issue and am bringing it in on Monday to replace them...

Wanted to share my experience, hopefully it'll help!

I did a lot of research on the Vargas and the RB and they are both pretty incredible!

I also researched the stock turbos. Here's what I learned; since their release, there have been tons (at least 3, supposedly) of improvements on the OEM turbos. So, presumably, there would be less problems with them now than there were in the past... presumably. lol

My original plan was to go with a Vargas Stage 2, because I have some supporting mods to make my car a little rocket ... BUT after speaking to Vargas... I decided otherwise.

Here's the problem;

I have a high mileage 2007... 132,000 kms (82,000 miles) and Tony at VTT (who seems to be a great guy btw) told me that although they haven't had an issue with installing these on a higher-mileage N54, they don't think they have seen the install on one quite so high... He suggested a Stage 1 would be the safer option.

He also went on to say that as far as longevity with the Stage 2 setup versus OEM, the OEM’s will last longer. Not because their turbos are not superior but because most people run the OEMs at lower power levels (pretty valid point). Once pushed to the high power levels (like the power the Stage 2 Setups typically see) you shorten the life of the turbos due to just insane shaft speeds, back pressure, and exhaust temps.

Lastly, after talking to a BMW Tech friend of mine, he made me think twice about an upgrade when he told me that because my engine is getting up there in mileage, asking the car to put out even more horsepower (from the increased power its already making) is potentially going to cause other issues and failures.

So, although emotion tells me that a Vargas setup would be super-awesome and tons of fun (LOL), logically, for me, OEM is going to have to be the way I go from a longevity and reliability standpoint, at least. God, I'm getting boring in my old age...
      03-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Island Road
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie335
I'm having the same issue and am bringing it in on Monday to replace them...

Wanted to share my experience, hopefully it'll help!

I did a lot of research on the Vargas and the RB and they are both pretty incredible!

I also researched the stock turbos. Here's what I learned; since their release, there have been tons (at least 3, supposedly) of improvements on the OEM turbos. So, presumably, there would be less problems with them now than there were in the past... presumably. lol

My original plan was to go with a Vargas Stage 2, because I have some supporting mods to make my car a little rocket ... BUT after speaking to Vargas... I decided otherwise.

Here's the problem;

I have a high mileage 2007... 132,000 kms (82,000 miles) and Tony at VTT (who seems to be a great guy btw) told me that although they haven't had an issue with installing these on a higher-mileage N54, they don't think they have seen the install on one quite so high... He suggested a Stage 1 would be the safer option.

He also went on to say that as far as longevity with the Stage 2 setup versus OEM, the OEMs will last longer. Not because their turbos are not superior but because most people run the OEMs at lower power levels (pretty valid point). Once pushed to the high power levels (like the power the Stage 2 Setups typically see) you shorten the life of the turbos due to just insane shaft speeds, back pressure, and exhaust temps.

Lastly, after talking to a BMW Tech friend of mine, he made me think twice about an upgrade when he told me that because my engine is getting up there in mileage, asking the car to put out even more horsepower (from the increased power its already making) is potentially going to cause other issues and failures.

So, although emotion tells me that a Vargas setup would be super-awesome and tons of fun (LOL), logically, for me, OEM is going to have to be the way I go from a longevity and reliability standpoint, at least. God, I'm getting boring in my old age...
Funny u say this I went to VTT Stg 2+ to Stg1+ to Stock VTT with thrust.

I felt for the money of Stg 2+ plus doing upgraded clutch / SMF I would be better off custom single for a tad more. Stg 1+ was not worth the extra money for hp to me then maxing out the stock with FBO and e60 PTF tune / inline.

I was going to just get some new stock turbos but for the price VTT upgraded flapper and added thrust for around the same of stock new can't go wrong. U say that BMW made some changes to the turbo (3)... Honestly I don't know of any changes they made and plenty of people still having issues after they are replaced what's are up updates they did? As for miles 80+ is nothing and plenty of people getting into the cars with 125k+ just going FBO or single just fine. The least of my worries would be engine reliability.

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeuwunder View Post
Ok need to get some new turbo's and I might as well upgrade them since I don't want the same problem with stock. Does anyone know if anyone is having any deals on upgraded turbo's. Already have jb4 g5 and downpipes. Will be upgrading IC also. Any info is greatly appreciated. 07 335i Thanks in advance.
Go with stage 2's, RB's or Vargas.

For the amount of time and money it is worth paying a little extra for stage 2 setup. You dont have to run 20psi and risk reliability on turbos. Not many blown up n54's so get stage 2's

Vargas has some random specials that are on the forums just keep a look out.

Buy a known reputable intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Rich_E
Still ridin' stock
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Lol is 130,000 kms really considered high mileage these days? I just passed 140,000 kms and I'm still on the original turbos. When those kick the bucket, I'm upgrading for sure! Upgrade away brotha!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_E
Lol is 130,000 kms really considered high mileage these days? I just passed 140,000 kms and I'm still on the original turbos. When those kick the bucket, I'm upgrading for sure! Upgrade away brotha!
I'm at 120k miles and my turbos just started smoking and leaking oil. But I need turbos so I might as well upgrade. If I blow it up so be it. I should be fine though. Not going to run meth and won't go past 18psi. So I say for now.
Appreciate 0