E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Canon Rebel XTi Lens Suggestion??

09-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

Canon Rebel XTi Lens Suggestion??

Hi guys, I love taking pictures especially after seeing some of the pictures you guys produce. Some guys have the same camera and the pictures look amazing. I was wondering if this is because of the lens? If so, what kind of lens do you guys recommend? I mostly take pictures of cars, and the occasional family/school gathering. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
Hi guys, I love taking pictures especially after seeing some of the pictures you guys produce. Some guys have the same camera and the pictures look amazing. I was wondering if this is because of the lens? If so, what kind of lens do you guys recommend? I mostly take pictures of cars, and the occasional family/school gathering. Thanks!
It's not the lens, nor the camera that makes pictures look amazing. It's the person behind the camera and their creativeness that are able to produce stunning captures. I'm not really sure of a good lens to recommend, but the 50mm f/1.8 is a nifty little lens that can be had for cheap (<$100), but doesn't seem money is an issue for you, so look for the 50mm f/1.4. Maybe some other folks can give better suggestions on lenses.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
It's not the lens, nor the camera that makes pictures look amazing. It's the person behind the camera and their creativeness that are able to produce stunning captures. I'm not really sure of a good lens to recommend, but the 50mm f/1.8 is a nifty little lens that can be had for cheap (<$100), but doesn't seem money is an issue for you, so look for the 50mm f/1.4. Maybe some other folks can give better suggestions on lenses.
Thanks. I'm not talking about the substance in the pictures that I've seen, I was talking about the quality. The colors are brighter and they jump out. Kind of like 1080p vs. 480i.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335i

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not talking about the substance in the pictures that I've seen, I was talking about the quality. The colors are brighter and they jump out. Kind of like 1080p vs. 480i.
it's all about post processing.
      09-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Oh I see what you mean. Well yeah, obviously like with anything you can buy there are low end lenses and high end lenses. Good luck, hopefully a few of those really good photographers on the board will post in here. Keep in mind, most folks tend to do a lot of Photoshop editting.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNic335i View Post
Couldnt agree more.
      09-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Couldnt agree more.
I wish I could learn to use Photoshop. I get overwhelmed when I open it up and see like a billion different buttons and options. I need to find someone to teach me.

Did you guys teach yourselves or learn from someone?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish I could learn to use Photoshop. I get overwhelmed when I open it up and see like a billion different buttons and options. I need to find someone to teach me.

Photoshop is a task at first but I started playing with it in high school so I have had years to mess around with it. you need "Lightroom" from Photoshop. It's the easiest to work with.
      09-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Photoshop is a task at first but I started playing with it in high school so I have had years to mess around with it. you need "Lightroom" from Photoshop. It's the easiest to work with.
Hmm alright thanks. I will have to search for a torrent.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I have never taken a photoshop class. I think the easiest way is to read online tutorials and just play around. Im sure taking a class will give you a really quick crash course to get you started so that may be a good option. But i always liked experimenting with things myself so i opted to just click every button and see what it does haha.
      09-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I have never taken a photoshop class. I think the easiest way is to read online tutorials and just play around. Im sure taking a class will give you a really quick crash course to get you started so that may be a good option. But i always liked experimenting with things myself so i opted to just click every button and see what it does haha.
Haha okay. Thanks for the help. I am definitely going to be looking into a class, if there is one available at my university I'm gunna be taking that asap.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Levels, Saturation and Unsharp Mask. Just play around with these three functions and you'll get about 90% of the improvement Photoshop provides - and they're all present in the much more affordable Photoshop Elements.

While you can spend years learning to use all the functionality Photoshop provides you can do a whole lot just by teaching yourself to use these three simple functions.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
or knowing how to setup your camera and use filters. Post processing FTL I'm probalby among the few that doesn't believe in using photoshop to create my images. It's much more interesting to me, and more fulfilling, to master my camera in the effort to make the images I want. I have a ways to go, but I'd rather make my images in the field, than at my desk. However, I am the first to say to each his own, and whatever floats your boat.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #14
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
or knowing how to setup your camera and use filters. Post processing FTL I'm probalby among the few that doesn't believe in using photoshop to create my images. It's much more interesting to me, and more fulfilling, to master my camera in the effort to make the images I want. I have a ways to go, but I'd rather make my images in the field, than at my desk. However, I am the first to say to each his own, and whatever floats your boat.
I wholeheartedly agree. I'd much rather take a little more time to capture a good picture than spend hours on my computer editing photos.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
if your a mac person, you can use aperture as well.
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #16
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Some images have to be edited. I shoot in RAW so I edit settings all the time