E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Western Washington Drivers: Do you mount snow tires?

View Poll Results: Will you mount snows?
I have RWD and WILL NOT mount snows 16 59.26%
I have AWD and WILL NOT mount snows 5 18.52%
I have RWD and WILL mount snows 3 11.11%
I have AWD and WILL mount snows 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

12-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #23
Chuckles
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i Monaco/Black

Hopefully the national attention Seattle is getting over the tour bus incident on I5 will shame the city into buying some snow-plows and *SALT*.

I had to get from Bothell to the airport Thursday AM during the worst of the snow. What a disaster. I grew up driving in Indianapolis (tons of snow at times) and have never seen a major interstate go completely un-plowed. There were many 4wd vehicles (including 1x search & rescue jeep, and one police explorer) that were stranded off the side of the road.

In fact when I arrived here in Indy it was ~35 degrees and not even snowing, yet they were putting down massive amounts of salt/de-icer even down to the local streets (i.e. not neighborhoods, but all of the main roads were plowed/salted).

Studded Tires & Tire chains are illegal in Indiana.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #24
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Shit I got stuck three times trying to get around my neighborhood lol...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #25
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post

Studded Tires & Tire chains are illegal in Indiana.

Nick
Tire CHAINS are illegal in Indiana? Good grief, sounds like a bunch of retards running that state. I understand the studded tire part (I wish they weren't allowed here, at least not without huge road improvement fees), but sometimes chains are the ONLY answer.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #26
cmark
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Ventured out today in the xi (with stock sport tires) and let's just say that I'm in the market for some Blizzaks.

I was on a small decline and couldn't stop at all - almost ran into a truck in front of me. The only thing I could do was let go of the brakes and turn to the left of it. I'm sure if the dude was looking his rear view mirror that he thought I was going to hit him. No fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #27
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Well it isn't only bad when the snow freezes to ice on these roads but the wind storm is going to do some serious damage tonight I think. Time to head out and stock up and be prepared cause you know the power is going to be out hard just like in 2006.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #28
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
Shit I got stuck three times trying to get around my neighborhood lol...

Sorry, I had to do it.
      12-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #29
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmark View Post
Ventured out today in the xi (with stock sport tires) and let's just say that I'm in the market for some Blizzaks.

I was on a small decline and couldn't stop at all - almost ran into a truck in front of me. The only thing I could do was let go of the brakes and turn to the left of it. I'm sure if the dude was looking his rear view mirror that he thought I was going to hit him. No fun.
Yeah, me too I've been driving around on Michelin PS's and while overall it's ok...braking and going up/down hills can be a bitch.
      12-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #30
335Xray
Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmark View Post

I recently moved here from Ohio and have a set of 17" Dunlop D3 snows which I put on at Thanksgiving. Glad I decided to put them on. The 18" summer brdigestones would have been dangerous.

As for the comment from the guy from Indy, I drove from Chicago to Cincinnati through Indy 2 years ago and we drove all the way around the outer belt of Indy in a snow storm and saw ONE plow out with the blade up and NOT throwing salt. The roads were horrendous. I was astounded by how bad it was even compared to Cincinnati which is usually pretty piss poor during the snow, but after being in Seattle, I can appreciate how much they actually do.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #31
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Drove past the Discount Tire on Bel-Red earlier today and they looked busier than a one-legged man in an asskicking contest! People probably trying to buy snow tires, chains, or whatever might give them more traction in the snow.

The E90 has been sitting in the driveway all week. I started it the other day to hear the æ duals and let it heat up a little. The Durango has been kicking butt in the snow though. I was surprised lines at the gas stations weren't longer.

I was down to about 3/8ths of tank in the Durango and decided to fill it up. Had I been able to put in 87 (button was broken), I would have paid $1.399 per gallon! Wow, never did I think I'd see gas this cheap again.

About the only thing I wish I had now was a generator. Been meaning to get one for the camper, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe someday....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:04 AM   #32
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Drove past the Discount Tire on Bel-Red earlier today and they looked busier than a one-legged man in an asskicking contest! People probably trying to buy snow tires, chains, or whatever might give them more traction in the snow.

The E90 has been sitting in the driveway all week. I started it the other day to hear the æ duals and let it heat up a little. The Durango has been kicking butt in the snow though. I was surprised lines at the gas stations weren't longer.

I was down to about 3/8ths of tank in the Durango and decided to fill it up. Had I been able to put in 87 (button was broken), I would have paid $1.399 per gallon! Wow, never did I think I'd see gas this cheap again.

About the only thing I wish I had now was a generator. Been meaning to get one for the camper, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe someday....
Yeah, well, they are talking about lowering global oil output (i'm assuming to increase demand in turn) which might get the prices back up again.
      12-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #33
Septro
Banned
Rep

You know last storm we had I said I'd get a generator.. still don't have one and now I'm saying the same thing again. One of these day I tell ya..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 03:41 AM   #34
E90ice
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
You know last storm we had I said I'd get a generator.. still don't have one and now I'm saying the same thing again. One of these day I tell ya..
Shame on you!
      12-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #35
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

beater camry with some costco all-seasons>snow

I also managed to impress my gf by pulling off the FWD parallel trick Worked like a charm!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #36
micah
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Anyone else feel like the drivers have gotten better lately? I haven't seen anybody spin out in front of my house anymore. It's like natural selection has taken place over the last few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Yesterday I was at the QFC on Rainier (@McClellan) and saw the Shucks across the street, so I popped in to see if they had any chains that might fit the Subaru. They had literally just received a shipment moments before I walked in, so I figured, heck, I'll buy some. Within moments, 50 people came to the store and got in line with me -- they had apparently been calling constantly and the store just told them to come in before they ran out. Total mad house.

The WRX seems to work fine on snow and ice and I probably didn't need the chains. But I didn't want to wind up like these guys (I enjoyed this video, thought you might):

Drivers attempt to climb slick Portland hill
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #37
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
Anyone else feel like the drivers have gotten better lately? I haven't seen anybody spin out in front of my house anymore. It's like natural selection has taken place over the last few days.

Yesterday I was at the QFC on Rainier (@McClellan) and saw the Shucks across the street, so I popped in to see if they had any chains that might fit the Subaru. They had literally just received a shipment moments before I walked in, so I figured, heck, I'll buy some. Within moments, 50 people came to the store and got in line with me -- they had apparently been calling constantly and the store just told them to come in before they ran out. Total mad house.

The WRX seems to work fine on snow and ice and I probably didn't need the chains. But I didn't want to wind up like these guys (I enjoyed this video, thought you might):

Drivers attempt to climb slick Portland hill
The bad ones got their cars stuck already and they are taking mass transit or walking
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #38
335iPDX
F N B
Rep
Drives: 335i

run on cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91AWD View Post
I know I don't live in western Washington, but Portland is close. I live south of the city in the hills at about 700 feet. It can be raining downtown and snowing at my house. What makes it worse is that they do not sand or plow my hilly neighborhood. I bought a set of 161 take offs this summer and put my 156 All Seasons for the winter. After a few days I decided that it was time to dump the AS tires. I'm going to be skiing this winter so it is worth getting a set of winter shoes. I also look forward to improved ice handling which is typically a bigger problem in the Portland area. As we all know X Drive improves snow traction and handling, but doesn't do sh*t for stopping. A delivery truck was stuck sideways across one of the roads down from the hill for 3 days. Bizzaks go on tomorrow. The local Firestone dealer is matching Tire Rack's price.
hi E91AWD, I'm from PDX, too. Currently my car has snow cables on, but I had hard time to put them on and off the car. So I decide to buy a set of snow tires, Can you tell me where the Firestone dealer sell the tires matching TireRack's price, please? If you have their phone number, that be great!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #39
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
Funny....I did the exact same thing. I went without power for 7 days in the '06 storm, and looked heavily at "whole house" generators from Gaurdian....the kind that run off of your natural gas lines. I was set at about 3k, including installation, but I never pulled the trigger.

On the poll selections....there needed to be a choice for "I plug my car into a battery maintainer and leave it in the garage until April". He would have gotten at least one vote.
      12-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #40
Adamk24
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 S2000, 11 STi

I have a 91 accord with studded snow tires on it so the BMW is sitting in the driveway (stupid elise is taking up all the garage space hahhah )

I'm not taking this poll as the option for me is not listed : \
      12-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #41
E90Newbie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP

I've been stuck at home since last Monday. I tried venturing out of my neighborhood once and was spinning my wheels even on FLAT LAND. I think I want to get either Spikes Spiders or Thule K-Summit chains because I really need to get to work. Problem is, I can't find anything to fit my tires 265/30/19. Anyone else trying to shop chains out there with any luck?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #42
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328xiT

So let's see. AWD and chains. I wish they had gotten in my Blizzards in time. Oh yea like they would have been a lot of help. They don't plow my road so getting to the road is only a small part of the problem. This about 650 ft above sea level on the hills above Lake Oswego (South Portland). The last shot shows the road. It used to be a circle, but a 60 ft fir tree fell across the road so now it is a cul de sac. Off we go in the MDX.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #43
Septro
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91AWD View Post
Off we go in the MDX.
Funny - We pulled out our MDX as well and did just fine getting around town. The snow was really powder'y' on Sunday and then became real compact yesterday, and somewhat melted and refroze overnight. With Seattle only having 27 plows and more snow scheduled this week - I'm re-thinking our move up here from L.A. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #44
WLS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
He probably got cocky having an SUV and did something....

Anyway, if I can drive nicely for days with Michelin PS's on....so should a guy in an AWD SUV with All Season or Winter tires....but some morons never learn...I see them all the time

P.S I had so much fun driving home from work today at 3 am with no traffic .... it's really addictive...

Sometimes the problem is going down (especially in an SUV). No matter the driver or the car sometimes you just cannot do it. I am an experienced snow driver (lived in the Northeast and Chicago) and with my 335xi I can go up and down and around in the snow no problem (until the ice potholes get so deep you bottom out ). I also have a GMC Sierra 4x4 with 300lbs in the bed and snow tires for traction and no matter what, that sucker will not go down a hill in a controlled fashion. It is so heavy that it just starts to slide even when it is parked.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has changed their mind now that it has continued to snow in Seattle.
Appreciate 0