E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Iphone Email / Text On Screen

06-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Pacman52
Rep
Drives: 3 Series Touring

Iphone Email / Text On Screen

Does anyone know anything on how to get emails / Texts from an Iphone onto the screen - if you can that is?

If not is it planned anytime soon?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
berrydingle
Fvck JDM
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
why would you wanna read emails on iNav while driving? Seems impractical to me. I doubt they will ever have this type of feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
caesarp
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive space gray/saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStock View Post
why would you wanna read emails on iNav while driving? Seems impractical to me. I doubt they will ever have this type of feature.
They have it already, but not currently working with iPhones. Its called BMW office and its great.

You don't need to read the emails, your BMW reads them to you! So its safer than trying to stare at a smartphone screen while driving.

It requires the bluetooth MAP (message access profile) on your smartphone and a car with at least a September 2010 or later build date (combox). Iphones do not have MAP, hence BMW office does not work with iPhones (it is an Apple/iphone issue, not a BMW issue).

I have a Blackberry Bold 9650, which has MAP with the latest operating system. My emails are displayed on the iDrive screen and when I get a new email, I see an envelope icon. I can then have my car read me the email. You can not read the full email text yourself, unless the car is in park.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://telematicsnews.info/2010/05/0...bluetooth-map/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Pacman52
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStock View Post
Thanks for your reply I can't seem the find the bit where I said I wanted to read emails whilst driving ??

One of the wonderful things about cars is they have the abilty to stop moving (I think they call it 'Parked') so if my car was 'Parked' and I was 500 miles away from my office it would be beneficial to be able to read my emails or texts on the screen rather than having to take the phone out of the holder and do it that way.

As far as I am aware this is a function already in use with blackberry's but I may be being stupid in thinking that, although stupid is the word that may need to be reserved for you !
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Pacman52
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
They have it already, but not currently working with iPhones. Its called BMW office and its great.

You don't need to read the emails, your BMW reads them to you! So its safer than trying to stare at a smartphone screen while driving.

It requires the bluetooth MAP (message access profile) on your smartphone and a car with at least a September 2010 or later build date (combox). Iphones do not have MAP, hence BMW office does not work with iPhones (it is an Apple/iphone issue, not a BMW issue).

I have a Blackberry Bold 9650, which has MAP with the latest operating system. My emails are displayed on the iDrive screen and when I get a new email, I see an envelope icon. I can then have my car read me the email. You can not read the full email text yourself, unless the car is in park.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://telematicsnews.info/2010/05/0...bluetooth-map/
Thank you for a sensible reply ! Do you know of any plans for the Iphone in regards to MAP?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
caesarp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman52 View Post
Thank you for a sensible reply ! Do you know of any plans for the Iphone in regards to MAP?
No. Have not seen anything from Apple in this regard. You are not the only one complaining (even Ford /iPhone owners are upset):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

At least BMW iPhone users (assuming they bought the right options and have a March 2011 or later build date), can use BMW Apps and Pandora and web radio.

I would love to have Pandora contrlled via iDrive. You can only do that with the iPhone now. In fact, I would give up BMW Office to have Pandora controlled via iDrive with a Blackberry.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
are there any options for android users?

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Pacman52
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
No. Have not seen anything from Apple in this regard. You are not the only one complaining (even Ford /iPhone owners are upset):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

At least BMW iPhone users (assuming they bought the right options and have a March 2011 or later build date), can use BMW Apps and Pandora and web radio.

I would love to have Pandora contrlled via iDrive. You can only do that with the iPhone now. In fact, I would give up BMW Office to have Pandora controlled via iDrive with a Blackberry.
Sadley you can't get Pandora in the UK - or can you ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

Apple is revealing iOS 5 on Monday. Maybe they will announce MAP since they are big partners with BMW! Maybe they will also show new apps too
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
normandy7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is MAP a hardware or software update?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

It's Message Access Profile, it's a Bluetooth profile and it's software
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
caesarp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandy7 View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question but is MAP a hardware or software update?
http://www.bluetomorrow.com/about-bl...-profiles.html
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
are there any options for android users?
No Message Access Profile on core Android. I believe Motorola added it to Droid X but its the only android phone I heard of supporting it.
Appreciate 0