E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got a speeding ticket in North Carolina...

05-28-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Got a speeding ticket in North Carolina...

I live in Cali. The ridiculous thing is it is a mandatory court date so I either have to fly back to North Carolina, or hire an attorney to apepar on my behalf. What the hell??? That is absurd.

Does anyone know what happens if I just ignore it? Apparently they do not have reciprocity with CA, so would I be fine I just never went back there again?
      05-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

lol good question...i would call up the states attorney and explain that you are out of town (make up some legit sounding excuse why you cant come) and then ask if there is a way you can settle it remotely (like just paying a fine, etc.)...that happened to me and thats what my attorney ended up doing...chances are if the place where u got it isnt a major city theyll let u do it that way cuz all they want is their $$$ lol
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

wow mandatory court date?

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
I live in Cali. The ridiculous thing is it is a mandatory court date so I either have to fly back to North Carolina, or hire an attorney to apepar on my behalf. What the hell??? That is absurd.

Does anyone know what happens if I just ignore it? Apparently they do not have reciprocity with CA, so would I be fine I just never went back there again?
Talk to the prosecutor via the phone/mail and strike a bargain with them to settle out of court.

All they wanted is money, if you ignore it, they will issue an arrest warrant for you. Unless you don't plan to go back to North Carolina for the next seven (7) years, I would just settle to pay.
      05-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
so?confused
jr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Become a renegade. And dont t everever go bak
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

If you or your attorney "fail to appear" in court, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest.

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Talk to the prosecutor via the phone/mail and strike a bargain with them to settle out of court.

All they wanted is money, if you ignore it, they will issue an arrest warrant for you. Unless you don't plan to go back to North Carolina for the next seven (7) years, I would just settle to pay.
+1....plea bargain, take what they offer you (they use the mandatory appearance on you as leverage), pay the fine. no need to use an attorney
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
JB 330ci
Resident "Spook"
Rep
Drives: 03 330ci, 08 335i, 08 A5,

Quote:

It is only a mandatory court date for excessive speeding. I know because I had to show up in court for going over 100 on I-95. It's best just to appear yourself or hire someone because the fine (back in 2004) was only $200 for a STATE issued ticket. If you got a county ticket...than best of luck .

You had to be going very fast in order to get a mandatory court date. Additionally they arrest you in NC for going 30 over the limit...I was arrested for speeding.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB 330ci View Post
You had to be going very fast in order to get a mandatory court date. Additionally they arrest you in NC for going 30 over the limit...I was arrested for speeding.
Got caught doing 120mph at the Pennsylvania Turnpike, slap with a $495 fine, no arrest, no courtdate.

First thing I said to the cop, "should've taken the plane...":rocks:
      05-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
If I got caught out of state and I knew I wasn't going back, I probably would just ignore it. As far as arrests for going over, any speeding offense in Ohio is an arrestable (sp? word?) offense, so a 5 MPH ticket could get you cuffed, but it is at the officer's discretion. I found this out while working with a state trooper one day at Norwalk Raceway Park (now Summit Raceway). I was surprised to learn how easy it could be to get arrested. More so when I got caught doing 117 on the Ohio Turnpike. No arrest and I paid less than $150. Judge told me I was second fastest in his court. Makes me wonder if I should try for first.
Appreciate 0