E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage III: Initial Impressions (EDIT:Photos)

05-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Sniper1690
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Dinan Stg. III E92 335i

Dinan Stage III: Initial Impressions (EDIT:Photos)

I picked up my car this afternoon after having the FMIC, OC, and Stg. III flash installed. Car was dropped at Dinan BMW dealership at 0800 Monday morning. I only have 20 miles in so far, so these are just initial impressions...full review to come with more miles. The car had Stg. 2 (non-revised) and Dinan exhaust before the Stg. III install.

Throttle Response: With the Stg. II non-revised flash I could certainly feel the more linear throttle response that aggrivated many of the 6AT guys (I have 6MT)...10% press of throttle gave you 10% throttle. All of the stock jerkiness was gone, and unless you mashed the throttle it could lead one to feel as if the car lacked low end power. Certainly not the case based on dyno, but seems to be more psychological as you did not get thrown back in your seat like you did at WOT at 3000+ RPM. Stg. III has addressed this issues and the throttle is much more sensitive. 10% throttle now feels as if it gives 35%-45% throttle...It is very easy to get thrown back in your seat. I don't have a preference...I like both...psychologically the revison feels faster as you barley press the go pedal and you get a major surge. However, this initial rush seems to taper off around 3k-4k rpm and it responds similarily to non revised...very linear in upper RPM which can make it feel as if you don't have the same upper end power you had...certainly not the case...watching the MPH needle is amazing...it simply pulls hard all the way into triple digits.

Power: Stg. II had great power delivery IMO...yeah, it tapered off past 6k rpm to redline...but it was like a different car than stock. Dinan does not claim or insinuate that Stg. III will give similar power gains (numbers wise)...my initial butt dyno indicates that the boost comes on harder and longer than with Stg. II. The car pulls very hard all the way to redline...yes, again, past 6k rpm its not as strong but the drop in boost and/or power does not feel to be as large as Stg. II. To me power delievry throughout the powerband seems to be more akin to a NA V8...silky smooth with almost zero discernable lag. I honestly could not tell its a turbo car when mashing the gas in 4th at 70mph...100mph gets there scary quick and its not anywhere near breaking a sweat. In terms of power from a standstill its very impressive as well...I got to 74 MPH in second from a stop light dig very quickly...I would assume 0-60 comes in low 4 seconds. Of course, traction is even bigger of an issue now...flooring it in 1st while rolling at 3.5k RPM results in major slippage and leaving a rubber trail. IMO most significant imporvement comes in mid-range power...it really pulls like a freight train when you mash the gas while rolling down the highway...the powerband feels large enough not to necessitate a shift to get to the "fat" part of the band...but if you do downshift...hang on! You will be pressed back into the seat and speeds will climb like a much more expensive exotic car would do.

Other observations: Interestingly, the car seems to sound a little different. The exhaust note is deeper with more of the burble to it...still nowhere near the new M3 note, but much more agressive indeed. I like it. Also, at all throttle positions (just revving in neutral or while driving) there seems to be a noticable "woosh" coming from the car (not the turbo woosh, much deepr than that...can't yet tell if its exhaust or front of car). It almost sounds like when a ram air or CAI is installed...not sure if its the IC or what...I'm kinda perplexed by this noise. It sounds like a big gulp of air going into something or a change in air pressue somewhere...I like it...just want to know what it is .

Oil Cooler: Today is the hottest/ most humid day (93 degrees/ 50% humidity) that my car has been on the road since I got it in late March. Oil temp rose to 245 under hard driving conditions, just like it did with OEM OC except it took a few more hard runs to get to 245-250. However, after backing off throttle and driving normally the oil temp needle dropped a notch or two very quickly instead of hovering on 245 as OEM did. Even after flogging the car oil temp never rose above 250 whereas stock it crept to 260-270 under same driving conditions.

Visual: Overall a very clean install...you would never be able to tell that the IC and OC were aftermarket. The IC is much more noticable over the stock unit...lurking underneath the OEM Aero lip the brighter silver color fills the entire air dam bay. The subtle Dinan "D" suggests something that cars wanting to play should take notice of. The "D" is tasteful and actually kind of blends in behind the silver grills covering the IC. I was on the fence about the "D" before seeing it...having seen it I like it...its not obnoxious and does not scream "modded car". The OC lines are somewhat "bling" as are the blue connectors.

Overall: I'm very happy with the Stg. III upgrade. It was certainly a large investment but it has improved the performance of the car noticably (butt dyno, of course). In short, it does feel like it holds boost longer and pulls harder to redline. Power seems to come on quicker as lag as been diminished. Down low the throttle is much more touchy...mid-range power is not diminished, just doesn't seem to be as evident as before...watching the MPH needle comfirms this. Is it worth the money? I paid it. If you want to milk more power/fun from it I suggest going with Stg. III. Its a big sleeper with a full warranty.

Car is filthy after being at dealer for 4 days...professional detail tomorrow and then pictures will follow. Dyno next week after its had a few more miles to "adapt", etc.
Attached Images

"...here's a word of advice for those who have been saving their lunch money and patiently waiting for the E92 M3 V8 to come to our shores: If you encounter a 335i with a Dinan badge on the trunk, don't throw down for pink slips. This car is so fast in a straight-line drag that you'll have to hitchhike home." Roundel, April 2008 ||08 E92 335i 6MT / Montego Blue / Dinan Stage III, IC, OC, exhaust and Stage 1 Suspension / Morr VS8

Last edited by Sniper1690; 05-23-2008 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Finally, a real review!!! Thanks Sniper!

So with Stage II Rev 2 you lose the burble and in Stage III you get more burble.

I look forward to your dynos and pictures.

You have great "track" car. I'm green with envy .

Burble.....Burble......
      05-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I'm sorry, but I am going to have to give your review a .

You are making Stage III sound so appealling that I am questioning my decision just to get the FMIC. This is highly unethical of you knowing the vulnerabilities of us addicts.

I refuse to be budged

..... is it really that good?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
mjoon161
Dinan Power
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Great Review!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Great Review man!
It's really cool with how many people that are enjoying the Dinan flash.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
I'm sorry, but I am going to have to give your review a .

You are making Stage III sound so appealling that I am questioning my decision just to get the FMIC. This is highly unethical of you knowing the vulnerabilities of us addicts.

I refuse to be budged

..... is it really that good?
Terry - when are you scheduled to have your IC + Flash Rev done? My car is getting Stg III on June 12th (they'll need it overnight), so I could always take you for a spin in case you're still on the fence
      05-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Sniper1690
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sparky - More miles and more driving situations will tell if it's "that good". I like the way power is delivered more now. However, it does not change the overall composition of the car like going to Stg. II over stock...that was night and day...this is more subtle and one must be a little more in tune with the car to appreciate the differences.

Anybody have an idea what my unidentified noise might be? This is first tuning experience with FI car...I would not think that aftemarket IC would make noise...not really sure what the sound is or could be...anybody?
"...here's a word of advice for those who have been saving their lunch money and patiently waiting for the E92 M3 V8 to come to our shores: If you encounter a 335i with a Dinan badge on the trunk, don't throw down for pink slips. This car is so fast in a straight-line drag that you'll have to hitchhike home." Roundel, April 2008 ||08 E92 335i 6MT / Montego Blue / Dinan Stage III, IC, OC, exhaust and Stage 1 Suspension / Morr VS8
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

Nice review. Now I need to go out and find that memory blanker gadget from 'Men in Black'
      05-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

What are the shortcomings of the chassis and drivetrain that you perceive with the added power? Coilovers, sways, brakes, LSD?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1690 View Post
Anybody have an idea what my unidentified noise might be? This is first tuning experience with FI car...I would not think that aftemarket IC would make noise...not really sure what the sound is or could be...anybody?
Without hearing the sound it's difficult to say, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say either (both?) your wastegate(s) / DV's ... ?
      05-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

nice review, i look forward to getting my first stage III installed. now i just need to find a customer who is willing to throw down

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Thanks for the write up. The more I read, the more I am liking the Dinan way. I think Stage 2 is one heck of a deal if you have the factory OC. Then you can save up to add the additional components to get to stage 3.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Sniper1690
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
What are the shortcomings of the chassis and drivetrain that you perceive with the added power? Coilovers, sways, brakes, LSD?
Without a doubt the car needs an LSD. My Dinan suspension (stg. 1) mitigates some of this need, but if you want to get sideways it's very easy to do. I imagine that the 1/4 mile ET would benefit from an LSD as well.

The brakes are perfectly fine...clearly I don't have a ton of miles on Stg. III...but as far as I can tell the OEM will suffice. A BBK would add bling and certainly help stop the car, but it does not seem to be an immediate necessity. Time will tell.

The RFT and OEM wheels are less than ideal for that amount of power in my mind...thats why I have the Morr VS8 and wider non-RFT on the way.

I just dont have enough miles in it to tell about clutch, etc. I will evaluate that on an ongoing basis and report.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
cyraschris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Montego Blue 335i E92

Garage List
thanks for the review sniper... i'll be talking to the guys at dinan sooner than later
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
funkdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red

I just got the car back with the revised flash and intercooler upgrade. The D logo is actually a nice touch without being to over the top. I have only driven from the Dinan service center back to work, but immediately you could tell that the throttle was more touchy than the original flash. The hit from 3.5k is not as pronounced as before but starts lower in the power band. The power is smooth, very deceptive. The power on the top end is much more with the borla exhuast and intercooler. The revs come on so quickly through the power band, its awesome. I would like to see how a stage 3 vs my stage 2.5 special compare dyno wise or car lengths wise.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Sounds like to truly appreciate the Stg III you need an XI, hmmmmm..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Sounds like to truly appreciate the Stg III you need an XI, hmmmmm..
Hmmmmmm is right. Either Xi or LSD
      05-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #18
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Without a doubt the car needs an LSD. My Dinan suspension (stg. 1) mitigates some of this need, but if you want to get sideways it's very easy to do. I imagine that the 1/4 mile ET would benefit from an LSD as well.

The brakes are perfectly fine...clearly I don't have a ton of miles on Stg. III...but as far as I can tell the OEM will suffice. A BBK would add bling and certainly help stop the car, but it does not seem to be an immediate necessity. Time will tell.

The RFT and OEM wheels are less than ideal for that amount of power in my mind...thats why I have the Morr VS8 and wider non-RFT on the way.

I just dont have enough miles in it to tell about clutch, etc. I will evaluate that on an ongoing basis and report.
Now that it is warm out I get almost no slip with an LSD with stage II. It is worth doing and was my very first mod.

The stock brakes are good but if want a bit more then do a stage II upgrade. Look at the DBA 4000 rotors, Aixxis Ultimate front brake, stainless steel brake lines and brake fluid. For street tires this is everything you need even on a track.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

hey sniper maybe i can check your car out someday to decide if i want to go with dinan.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #20
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
Terry - when are you scheduled to have your IC + Flash Rev done? My car is getting Stg III on June 12th (they'll need it overnight), so I could always take you for a spin in case you're still on the fence
Fantastic! I'm there on the 13th. I can compare your Stage III to my intended Stage II.5. Are you getting your FP replaced at the same time?

Quote:
Sparky - More miles and more driving situations will tell if it's "that good". I like the way power is delivered more now. However, it does not change the overall composition of the car like going to Stg. II over stock...that was night and day...this is more subtle and one must be a little more in tune with the car to appreciate the differences.
Without a doubt the Stage II to III software upgrade is well worth the $500. You get a map designed to work with the FMIC. It's not just about boost and hp, but how the car drives. If I lived in Dallas I'd would be down for the OC. I'm going to see how my car runs on the II.5 way up here in Saskatchewan. If it runs hot or I get a limp mode, I'm getting it.

What is the best technique for getting my car to overheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdoc View Post
I just got the car back with the revised flash and intercooler upgrade. The D logo is actually a nice touch without being to over the top. I have only driven from the Dinan service center back to work, but immediately you could tell that the throttle was more touchy than the original flash. The hit from 3.5k is not as pronounced as before but starts lower in the power band. The power is smooth, very deceptive. The power on the top end is much more with the borla exhuast and intercooler. The revs come on so quickly through the power band, its awesome. I would like to see how a stage 3 vs my stage 2.5 special compare dyno wise or car lengths wise.
Hey and keep me posted on whether you have any heating problems. I have the Dinan exhaust so I doubt I'll get the same top end boost, but I am very encouraged that you have had this result with the FMIC. That $3000 is feeling safer in my wallet.

The Dinan site claims a 5 hp lift with the FMIC. Is this when installed in a stock car? I agree, it sure would be nice to see a comparative dyno between II, II.5, and III.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
stillclaimndp
Dancing Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 ZSP

very nice enjoy!
2007 e90 & 1981 Corvette Predecessors: 2007 BMW 335i E92, 2006 M5, 2008 Viper SRT10 Coupe, 2005 Viper Yellow, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2006 S4, 2001.5 Nogaro Blue S4, 2006 GTI w/ DSG, 06 Evo IX, 04 S4, 04 911x51, 03 Evo VIII, 98 Eclipse GSX, 96 GST, 92 Galant Vr-4, '70 Grand Prix Model J, '70 Nova, '68 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Now that it is warm out I get almost no slip with an LSD with stage II. It is worth doing and was my very first mod.

The stock brakes are good but if want a bit more then do a stage II upgrade. Look at the DBA 4000 rotors, Aixxis Ultimate front brake, stainless steel brake lines and brake fluid. For street tires this is everything you need even on a track.

Orb
Hey Orb did you get any feedback from your dealer regarding coverage of your drivetrain? What happens if you break a half-shaft? Any chance Dinan would cover something like that? Or do you think both BMW and Dinan would try and blame it on the LSD? Stage III is putting out a lot of torque, will Dinan cover tranny and other problems?
Appreciate 0