E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 335 oil filter gasket leaking.

10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Zysos617
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

E92 335 oil filter gasket leaking.

i took my car to dealer last week and they told me that my oil filter gasket is leaking, quote 650 to fix. i took a look and saw only little oil splatter. and last time i changed my oil was around 4000km ago and my on-dash computer never showed any oil loss.(not even one tick/bar, i check it all the time, every time it is at max.). should i do it or hold off till at least computer tells me that there is oil comsuption... thanks alot.

since i dont have any visible oil cosumption. oil filter gasket leaking is not causing any dmgs. am i correct?. thanks for any suggestions.

also i have a question about coolent. every time i add coolant close to max mark, after 2500km-3000km driving it drops to close to min. no warning light. is all turbo like that or do i have a issue to look into.

Last edited by Zysos617; 10-24-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

your dealer is nicer than mine. My local dealer quoted me something like $1200 to do the same job but fortunately I know an indy who drives a BMW every day. He charged me $5-something so I think your dealer is in the ballpark. Apparently you have to remove the intake manifold to R&R the filter housing. I didn't want to do it myself so I paid... hope this doesn't start a trend.

I've heard horror stories about oil leaks that get on the serp belt causing belt failure... not a big deal in and of itself but apparently somehow the engine can suck pieces of shredded serp belt right through the front main? I've never heard of such a thing on any other car but I've seen a couple threads about this with the N54.

I'd be more worried about loss of coolant, a modern engine really shouldn't use any coolant at all, at least not enough that you'd notice it between regular flush intervals.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Zysos617
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
your dealer is nicer than mine. My local dealer quoted me something like $1200 to do the same job but fortunately I know an indy who drives a BMW every day. He charged me $5-something so I think your dealer is in the ballpark. Apparently you have to remove the intake manifold to R&R the filter housing. I didn't want to do it myself so I paid... hope this doesn't start a trend.

I've heard horror stories about oil leaks that get on the serp belt causing belt failure... not a big deal in and of itself but apparently somehow the engine can suck pieces of shredded serp belt right through the front main? I've never heard of such a thing on any other car but I've seen a couple threads about this with the N54.

I'd be more worried about loss of coolant, a modern engine really shouldn't use any coolant at all, at least not enough that you'd notice it between regular flush intervals.
yehh, maybe the head gasket is causing coolant loss\burn too. i do not know a lot about car, guess i should just fix it, well i have an apointment next week. thanks a lot for feed back.!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post

This is awesome this is exactly what happened to me minus the pieces of the belt getting sucked into the engine. I just replaced the belt and will address the oil leak from the oil filter housing soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

I have an N52 and I didnt have to remove the intake manifold to replace the oil filter gasket. There's a DIY on here if you search for it. I replaced mine, took an hour to two. You remove the intake, the alternator and just have to work around that tight space.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

There is a DIY, it is not a difficult job overall and you do not need to remove the intake manifold, except if the annoying bolt on the back of the housing strips. You do need to flush (at least partially) coolant.

It is not urgent matter, but you should have it done nonetheless, as the gasket has a tendency to shred and debris can contaminate/clog the coolant system.

Additionally, oil and water can mix, and since you see coolant level drop, it is very probable that you are indeed having water going into your oil, especially if you see no leak or white smoke.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
TheTal0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I clamped off both coolant houses attached the the oil housing and removed them. removed the Air filter box and snorkel. That gives you a lot of room to get to the two odd ball bolts.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Zysos617
Enlisted Member
Rep

thx alot guys. i will try to do it myself.. thx for all the replies.~ !
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingman View Post
I have an N52 and I didnt have to remove the intake manifold to replace the oil filter gasket. There's a DIY on here if you search for it. I replaced mine, took an hour to two. You remove the intake, the alternator and just have to work around that tight space.
N54 is pretty different. You do need to pull the manifold out a couple of inches in order to get clearance to the bolt.

Most of us N54s also have the thermostat housing for the oil cooler which has a gasket that should be replaced at the same time. The bolts to remove the thermostat housing from the oil filter housing are also hard to reach and take some time.

All in all, this is something you will have to fix regardless so it makes no sense to sit on it until it gets worse.
Appreciate 0