E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > I test drove the M3

03-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I test drove the M3

Our eyes met across the parling lot... Her front air dam met with my mezmerising gaze and I couldn't take my eyes off her bonnet hump either. I ran towards her in slow motion... It was like an episode of Baywatch. We lept into each others arms. I couldn't take my hands off her. She had bulges everywhere and a beautiful carbon fibre hat on... She had four rear pipes and that was a good sign in my eyes...

Yes, I finally got to test drive the new M3 What a beast!!

I only had a 30 mins blast with the dealer, but it was great fun! The car was a second hand 57 plate with 4,500 miles on the clock in Silverstone II clothing and black leather upholstery with the carbon-fibre look interior finish.

From the outside, she looked stunning in the flesh. The Silverstone II colour really shows off the lines of the M3 and the carbon-fibre roof. Its certainly a colour I would go for. The dealer moved the car out of the parking lot and I remained outside the car to listen to the V8 come to life and hum warmly and powerfully. What a great sound, even at idle!

Now it was my turn to sit in the driver's seat. I adjusted the comfortable body hugging sport seats and adjusted the mirrors. I scanned the dashboard to gain some familiarity and I noticed that its almost identical to my E90. The main difference was some buttons next to the gear shift, which said "Power", "EDC" and "DSC off". I would have a play with those later...

I liked the interior of the M3. The leather and carbon-fibre looking trim was of high quality and the steering wheel was nice and fat with M coloured stitching. My only dislike was the gear shifter which is too long for my liking particularly as I'm used to the small short shifter I installed in my E90. Nothing a quick mod can't fix though!

I powered her up and switched the side lights on. I dabbled the throttle and she purred like a new born kitten in the palm of my hand. However, soon this kitten would be a full fledged tiger in my hand!! The sound of that V8 is better than listening to the London Symphony Orchestra in E minor anyday of the week.

I checked my mirrors and pulled away, the noise of the V8 even at low revs made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end. I couldn't stop smiling! I pulled onto a clear stretch of dual carriageway and let her rip and the acceleration was epic. I thought the 335i twin-turbo was quick but this is a different league. Its certainly the quickest car I've ever driven by a mile.

We joined the motorway so I could have a blast at high speed for a couple of junctions (within the speed limits of course) and the drive and acceleration in all gears is effortless. Even in 6th, the car just wants to pull away.

We came off the motorway for a drive along some quieter dual carriageways and b roads. As we filtered off, I pressed the "M Power" button and set the EDC to "Sport". As soon as I pressed the "M Power" button I felt a slight nudge in my back and all of a sudden this totally epic and powerful Tiger I was trying to tame became a full on angry Lion! The car came alive and was even more responsive. I don't know how to describe the difference and I'm not entirely sure what the M Power button does but there was a noticeable increase in performance, power and engine noise. Oh and fuel consumption drops considerably!!

I took some corners along the b lanes at a fair speed to see how this baby handled and she was stunning. She hugged the road like a sleeping policeman. I even found I was able to accelerate through the corners. Not just out of the corners but through the corners! The handling is perfection, perfectly balanced, poised and plenty of grip. I can't wait to take one of these things around the Nordscheilfe!

Just before we got back to the dealers I stopped at a red light. I was at the front with a clear dual carriageway ahead. I pressed the "M Power" button again for one last blast and as the lights turned green I opened her up and the car noticebly slid from side to side as the car attempted to plant all 420 horses down onto the tarmac. Thank god for DSC as it certainly kept the car pointing forwards! The amount of power available is just incredible!!

I've got a good relationship with my dealer. He's a friend of the family and went to school with my Dad and did me a cracking deal on my E90. I told him that I was very interested in a used M3 but not at the current prices. I told him my budget and said that if he can find a used M3 within that budget, I would buy. I got the feeling in the dealers that morning that times are starting to get tough for car salesmen. The orders are not coming in as frequent as they were and punters are counting their pennies and saving for a rainy day due to economic uncertainty. I got the feeling that their targets will be harder to hit this year. I also heard some stories from my dealer of a number of cancelled M3 orders. He was very open and honest with me and believes that by the time my E90 comes up for renewal in June, M3 prices will be around my budget and with a bit of squeezing I'm sure I could get a good deal. I'm sure sales will be lagging in the Summer.

The M3 would suit me as I want to change from 4 doors to the 2 door coupe. Also, although I love the 335i, if I bought one I would always wish I got the M3. Finally, I only use a car for pleasure and don't do many mailes so it fits my requirements of power, performance, sporty looks and still some practicality with regard to carrying passengers and good boot space.

So in summary, I haven't bought one yet, but hopefully the new M3 will be my next car. I told the dealer to call me if an Alpine White or Silvertone II comes up over the next few months within my budget. I'm in no rush to buy and am happy to wait for the right car and right deal to come along. To sum up the new M3, it is absolutely astonishing!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Great read Beauforty, look forward to seeing pics of the new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Great write up!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Good write-up BF

If the M-er is in a different league to the 335i (and I don't doubt you!) then it must be astonishing!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Enjoyed that Beauforty, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:00 AM   #6
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
The anticipation/expectation was addictive reading
      03-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Nice one Paul. You reckon that you could escape the attentions of Paddywac with one of these then?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Had a quick look on the AUC site. 57 plate M3s can now be had for less than £47K

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/car_d...WD92050PY34412

This one has a great spec, everything you would need, and is the cheapest BMW AUC car available, it seems. At £46,850 retail price, this must mean that as a 'trade' price it must be worth no more than £43,500. That is some HUGE drop in value in just six months. Would reckon that one would have had a List price of in excess of £57K. There are some 70 odd AUC cars available, it cannot be long before they dip below £40K. Just sooooo tempting, but with fuel prices the way they are, it cannot be justified. In any case if I buy another car in the next two years Mrs G would not be best pleased to put it mildly!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #9
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Had a quick look on the AUC site. 57 plate M3s can now be had for less than £47K

This one has a great spec, everything you would need, and is the cheapest BMW AUC car available, it seems. At £46,850 retail price, this must mean that as a 'trade' price it must be worth no more than £43,500. That is some HUGE drop in value in just six months. Would reckon that one would have had a List price of in excess of £57K. There are some 70 odd AUC cars available, it cannot be long before they dip below £40K. Just sooooo tempting, but with fuel prices the way they are, it cannot be justified. In any case if I buy another car in the next two years Mrs G would not be best pleased to put it mildly!
Wow, that level of depreciation is scary in less than 6 months
Good price, just a shame about the colour
      03-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

Paul- have you ever thought about writing for Mills & Boon?

Great write-up, BTW.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Fantastic write-up. I hope you get lucky and the dealer manages to get hold of one in your colour choice and within budget.
      03-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Top write up - I have driven one also and fully agree with every point you made - it really is an astonising beast. I kinda fancy a four door one for my next car.....who knows, another year to go until I change, and the Nissan GTR has my name on it so far

Keep us informed of your pending purchase

PS: Where is Carlos to tell us that even though they are fast, they are only a gnats cock quicker than his 335d???
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
PS: Where is Carlos to tell us that even though they are fast, they are only a gnats cock quicker than his 335d???
You got it wrong Red, in the real world the 335d is quicker.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
You got it wrong Red, in the real world the 335d is quicker.

I will let Squeeze respond to this one
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Top write up - I have driven one also and fully agree with every point you made - it really is an astonising beast. I kinda fancy a four door one for my next car.....who knows, another year to go until I change, and the Nissan GTR has my name on it so far

Keep us informed of your pending purchase

Hi there redcab,

They are quicker, the M3 has done a 10.2 0-100, altho more likely 10-11.5 as hard to launch.

Re-mapped 335d will do at best a high 11 on the strip 0-100 if ya lucky More like low 12's tho..

I aint seen a decent 1/4 time for a E92 M3 yet tho but would expect mid 12's @ over 112mph!

I have driven the Audi R8 and that was timed 0-100 quicker than the E92 M3 so can understand the acceleration Booforty

I think roling 40-110 maybe a re-mapped will stay with an E92 M3 but thats it. ALtho id love to try with squeezey at UK5

Carlos

I
      03-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #16
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Good write-up BF

If the M-er is in a different league to the 335i (and I don't doubt you!) then it must be astonishing!!
Snooky, don't get me wrong the 335i has an awesome engine and I thoroughly enjoyed driving it and it blew away my 330i. I really thought the 335i would be my next car but the performance of the V8 in the M3 is just incredible! I recommend you test one just to compare with yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Nice one Paul. You reckon that you could escape the attentions of Paddywac with one of these then?
Matt, I don't think an M3 will make much difference, that blasted re-mapped 320d will always be on my rear bumper!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #18
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post

Peter, I agree. At this rate it won't be long before they hit £40k. Because I don't do many miles, I can justify having an M3 for some weekend fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #19
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Paul- have you ever thought about writing for Mills & Boon?

Great write-up, BTW.

Viv
Viv, I don't know who Mills and Boon are - genuinely!! I thinkl I've heard the name before but that's all. Please don't take the piss out of me Carlos style!

I haven't parted with your 'twin' yet...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #20
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Red, there was a 4 door E90 M3 at the dealer and it looked good, but I prefer the coupe. I couldn't beleive it when the dealer said they haven't sold one yet. Not even an order! You could see that depreciate pretty quick too!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #21
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
I prefer the coupe also, but my 8yr old lad is not getting any smaller and the constant climbing in and out of the back of my vert does get a pain at times

(as well as all the scuff marks on the plastic trims )

In that sense the 4 door would make sense for me - even tempted with an M5 but wayyyyyy too expensive at the mo!

My only issue with the 4 door is the rear end (they have sorted my gripes with the front end styling by fitting the coupe front), hopefully blacklines on a Silverstone II model would look sort it out somewhat. Never been a fan of the 4 door car (no offence E90 drivers ) but with bulges in the right places, and that V8 singing away, I reckon I could get used to it!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
I prefer the coupe also, but my 8yr old lad is not getting any smaller and the constant climbing in and out of the back of my vert does get a pain at times

(as well as all the scuff marks on the plastic trims )

In that sense the 4 door would make sense for me - even tempted with an M5 but wayyyyyy too expensive at the mo!

My only issue with the 4 door is the rear end (they have sorted my gripes with the front end styling by fitting the coupe front), hopefully blacklines on a Silverstone II model would look sort it out somewhat. Never been a fan of the 4 door car (no offence E90 drivers ) but with bulges in the right places, and that V8 singing away, I reckon I could get used to it!!
an M5 too expensive mate?

under 40k now and seen a few in the 35k bracket.

Yours must have been more than that new!!1

Get one

Carlos