E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Injectors recalled & replaced, but Serial # still in TSB

01-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Injectors recalled & replaced, but Serial # still in TSB

Hey guys,
I brought my car in for the HPFP and injector recall. Dealer said they replaced 2 of the injectors.

Today I pulled out all 6 injectors to take a look at them, as I have been getting some rough idle at startup.

Per the bulletin: "Injectors with P/N 13 53 7 585 261 04-08 index are not affected by this Service Action and should not be replaced.
Injectors with PN/index 13 53 7 537 317-xx or 13 53 7 565 138-01 up to 7 565 138-07 must be carefully removed in a sequential order (following REP13 53 310) and marked with the cylinder number."

Looking at the pics, I have a number of injectors that fall under the "remove" list. Does that mean that the injectors were not replaced, or are there further test that are done to determine if they need to be replaced or not.

Thanks,
      01-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Good question........dealer replaced two of mine as well, but I have been meaning to check the rest as you have done.

How did you pull up on the injectors to get them out?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
The latest injector part number ends on 09. I think this means 9th revision. Things to check:

1. Make sure you replace the decoupling elements. Those are 1 time use items.
2. Make sure the injectors are coded in correctly into the ECU. I've cured misfires and rough idle by doing this.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638610

I am finalizing the DIY for the injector coding and it should be out soon.

EDIT: Unless you get misfires, I will not worry about replacing the injectors. Just make sure they are coded in correctly.

EDIT 2: Whatever you do, DO NOT touch the injector tips!
      01-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
elim11
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
The latest injector part number ends on 09. I think this means 9th revision. Things to check:

1. Make sure you replace the decoupling elements. Those are 1 time use items.
2. Make sure the injectors are coded in correctly into the ECU. I've cured misfires and rough idle by doing this.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638610

I am finalizing the DIY for the injector coding and it should be out soon.

EDIT: Unless you get misfires, I will not worry about replacing the injectors. Just make sure they are coded in correctly.

EDIT 2: Whatever you do, DO NOT touch the injector tips!
Thanks vasillalov. It was thanks to you that I was inspired to take a stab at this. All the 6 injectors had the de-coupling element. I am not getting any misfires at WOT, however I do get a stumbling idle at cold start which goes away once engine is warm. It sounds like backfiring. I will post up a Video. I Recorded the values of the 6 injectors and will double check the coding aspect.

The main question is that some of my injectors still have the part number which were labeled as "remove and check" per the bulletin. Does that mean that those injector part numbers are bad, or just because they have those numbers they could still be good (with some sort of additional verification)

Thanks and looking forward to your DIY
      01-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
elim11
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Good question........dealer replaced two of mine as well, but I have been meaning to check the rest as you have done.

How did you pull up on the injectors to get them out?
You basically have to pull a bit vigorously. Make sure u remove this metal plate first. There are 3 sets of these metal plates which hold 2 injectors each. You need a socket ext to get to it and i believe an 8mm socket.
      01-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
pimple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

I too have wondered why only 5 of 6 injectors were replaced on my car, while all six had the same part number. The one that wasn't replaced was for cylinder #5 and I'm speculating that the reason was that the strut brace was in the way and the mechanic was not willing to remove the strut brace because it would have been more work. I hope my speculation is incorrect, though.

Last edited by pimple; 01-30-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
gboop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimple View Post
I too have wondered why only 5 of 6 injectors were replaced on my car, while all six had the same part number. The one that wasn't replaced was for cylinder #5 and I'm speculating that the reason was that the strut brace was in the way and the mechanic was not willing to remove the strut brace because it would have been more work. I hope my speculation is incorrect, though.
I only had some of my injectors replaced under this recall campaign.

I believe the tech removes each eligible injector and scans the S/N against some BMW database. Only some of the injectors with the old part # are flagged as being part of a bad batch and need replacement.
      01-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
You basically have to pull a bit vigorously. Make sure u remove this metal plate first. There are 3 sets of these metal plates which hold 2 injectors each. You need a socket ext to get to it and i believe an 8mm socket.
Thanks!

Did you just pull them up and out with your hands or did you use some sort of tool?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
elim11
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Did you just pull them up and out with your hands or did you use some sort of tool?
To get a better grip, I used padded pliers to pull from the thread area on the top. I was mindful of not putting too much force on it.
      02-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
zzkrazeb
Registered
Rep

how important are the decoupling elements? what exactly is the purpose of it? i'm asking because i had mine replaced but those weren't included. does anyone know what type of damages it would cause if not used?

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Slide hammer does miracles for stuck injectors:

02-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Slide hammer does miracles for stuck injectors:

Lol.......I hope the one you used wasn't that size

Vas: Question for you - To do injector coding only, is INPA all you need to load onto your laptop?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Lol.......I hope the one you used wasn't that size

Vas: Question for you - To do injector coding only, is INPA all you need to load onto your laptop?
That's the slide hammer I have but I used a different attachment. You don't go full retard with it. You carefully nudge the injector out.

Get the ZIP. Follow the DIY. Its simple.
      02-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzkrazeb View Post
how important are the decoupling elements? what exactly is the purpose of it? i'm asking because i had mine replaced but those weren't included. does anyone know what type of damages it would cause if not used?

thanks in advance!
The decoupling elements are VERY important. They must be replaced every time the injector is replaced. Why are they important: they form a seal between the injector and the engine head. They also position the injector needle at its precise location in the combustion chamber. If the decoupling element is missing, the injector needle will go further into the combustion chamber by 2-3 mm.
      02-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Is the values to the injectors in plain view or do you need to take each one out to see the injector values?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Right below the QR code. You can see them. Two values, 3 digits each. To the OP, I would take it back to another dealer and have them verify the injectors. If they say no, tell them you have pictures that say so. They should replace and code them under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Is the values to the injectors in plain view or do you need to take each one out to see the injector values?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Just to clear up ALOT of confusion here.

When you go in for the Injector recall, that does not mean you get 6 new injectors.

Whichever # Injector that is affected gets removed, but this does not mean it gets replaced. It then gets scanned into the BMW system, and the system indicates which injectors if any get replaced.

Looking at your pictures, 2 injectors were replaced. Pic # 1 and # 5

Just a note, not only do you need to replace the decoupling element you also need to replace the teflon seal on the injectors. They will start to swell approx 10 mins after removing from the engine. There are special covers that are supposed to be put in the end of the injector if leaving out of the engine for a period of time. If you do not replace it this could lead to combustion leaks past the seal and other issues.

Stuipid question, but why did you remove the injectors in the first place because of your misfire? There will be no visual evidence if the injector has failed unless the tech didnt install the decoupling element or the injector hold downs.

I just hope you install this stuff correctly or I can see the next thread "Ever since the dealer did my injectors they are screwed up" after you have been messing around in there.

Also in case you didnt know make sure those injectors go into the exact spot they came out of.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:

thanks in advance!

It sets the depth of the injector into the cylinder head. If these are not installed SERIOUS damage can occur. The injector can be pushed to far down into the cylinder, along with other numerous issues. You need those decoupling elements. Its kind of like a springy washer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Just to clear up ALOT of confusion here.

When you go in for the Injector recall, that does not mean you get 6 new injectors.

Whichever # Injector that is affected gets removed, but this does not mean it gets replaced. It then gets scanned into the BMW system, and the system indicates which injectors if any get replaced.

Looking at your pictures, 2 injectors were replaced. Pic # 1 and # 5

Just a note, not only do you need to replace the decoupling element you also need to replace the teflon seal on the injectors. They will start to swell approx 10 mins after removing from the engine. There are special covers that are supposed to be put in the end of the injector if leaving out of the engine for a period of time. If you do not replace it this could lead to combustion leaks past the seal and other issues.

Stuipid question, but why did you remove the injectors in the first place because of your misfire? There will be no visual evidence if the injector has failed unless the tech didnt install the decoupling element or the injector hold downs.

I just hope you install this stuff correctly or I can see the next thread "Ever since the dealer did my injectors they are screwed up" after you have been messing around in there.

Also in case you didnt know make sure those injectors go into the exact spot they came out of.
WOW
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
Yeahdickey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
It sets the depth of the injector into the cylinder head. If these are not installed SERIOUS damage can occur. The injector can be pushed to far down into the cylinder, along with other numerous issues. You need those decoupling elements. Its kind of like a springy washer.
Yup, as i found out a few weeks back. I have two of the six holes bored out a bit more than should be because of this when the recall work was done about 7 months ago.

Though, since they have been installed correctly, my car is running fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
zzkrazeb
Registered
Rep

Can the decoupling element be reused? My SA is telling it can be but I don't know what to believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Can the decoupling element be reused? My SA is telling it can be but I don't know what to believe.

Ehhhhh, BMW tells you to replace them. You can probably get away with re using them, but if something happens dont blame me lol
Appreciate 0