E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > IDrive USB Galaxy S2 connectivity 335i (2008)

11-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
bigbirdincali
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 Monaco Blue Grey Int

Question IDrive USB Galaxy S2 connectivity 335i (2008)

Anyone managed to wade through getting the IDrive to recognize the music on Galaxy S2 automatically (by just plugging it in)? If so, how?

Background: I just replaced a HTC Incredidle running Froyo with the Galaxy S2. On the HTC, I learned that by setting the USB connect option to "Charge Only" and using an application called "Auto Mount". My internal SD-Card would be fully recognized (i.e. I could pull up playlists, artists, etc.) in the console. All that I had to do was plug it in...It would charge and all the music was fully accessible (this is what I want on the S2!).

The S2 doesn't have the "Charge Only" setting (I believe this is unique to this phone) and Auto Mount causes a USB drive to show up along with the SD card drive. When that happens, the car only recognizes one drive -- the wrong one. Also, when I plug in the S2, the phone beeps at you constantly until you tell it how to connect. I want to plug in it and go without have to setup it up each time...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Timbuktu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi 2008, SP/PP/nav 18"

Yeah, I was having the same issue.

But don't despair, there's a solution!

Before plugging your phone into the car, go to
settings->Wireless and network->USB utilities
and click Connect storage to PC.

Then plug the USB cable that came with the phone into the USB jack
in your bimmer.
Voila!

HTH,
Andy.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

Man, I was messing around with Bluetooth file streaming, didn't even think to go back to old school and use USB (prior to that, I used a 3.5mm cable lol).

Argh! I wasted so much time on this, and the solution is so simple *slaps head*
Appreciate 0