E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watchdog This Week It Looks Like It Is About Bmw

09-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #177
Sailorbaz
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 & 2004 M3 CSL

My car was in at the Dealers recently and I printed off the PH Article to show the Customer Service advisers and technicians when I checked the car in. Needless to say I got the 'We're unaware of any situation regarding this type of theft' but I doubt they can use that excuse now. My OBD was already moved so I had to inform them where it was and to be honest, they were very cool about me moving it.

I'll be in touch with them as soon as possible now, but really reading the above posts, I doubt there's much point really. Half hoping they'll contact me first to invite me in...chance would be a fine thing.

2004 M3 CSL with Supersprint and 2013 F10 520d
Worldwide M3 CSL Register based in the UK
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #178
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
Just phoned my dealer, they only have a security update for the X5 and X6, there's nothing for any othe car at the moment.

They are making a list of callers, and said they will contact me once an update is available.
How refreshing that a local dealer is taking that approach - making a list of callers to call back once the fix is available. I just phoned my local dealer - Stephen James Bromley - asking about the fix, and if they could contact me once the fix is available and I was told in a very frank manner to call the helpline "0800 083 4397" and they will be able to advise me about this issue. She didn't even ask for my name and registration to try to confirm whether my car is one of those affected (it is). Not the first time I've received poor 'customer service' from Stephen James
      09-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #179
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Has anyone got through to 0800 083 4397. I get an engaged tone. I'm guessing the service is over crowded today.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #180
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

+1
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #181
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I guess the bottom line is that the fix for E90s and E92s is not out yet and will be out in 8 weeks. I did try to call BMW customer services but got fed up of waiting in the queue this morning for 30 mins.

I've left it now as am sure my dealer will say nothing different to whats already been said to others - not out yet, undergoing testing!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #182
sufchenko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SE

I assume the fix would be to 're-encrypt' the software as well as other check so that the plug-in key maker cannot trick it.
My question is that will this affect the 'legal' people (e.g. Breakdown prople, garage staff)?
      09-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #183
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
How can Watchdog say there's a security update available, yet it's only for 2 types of BMW! Actually not very happy with Watchdog they should be giving people the correct information!
No point being annoyed with Watchdog,they only passed on the information that BMW passed on to them.

It was clear what happened yesterday IMO,BMW were originally quite happy to ignore the programme until the story gained momentum through the media,and the stance from BMW changed as the programme approached.

There was no security update available when the programme was broadcast,and there is not one available now,this whole fiasco is nothing more than damage limitation from BMW,and Watchdog were caught flatfooted by what I think was a very late change of approach from BMW with the hastily organised freephone number 'con'.

Personally,I'm more than happy with the steps I've taken to secure my car,and to be honest,even if a security update becomes available,I will still question how it works and if it as effective as what I have already done.

If anyone wants to call BMW,there is apparently another number you can try:

01344 480 971

However,if you do ring expect to hear this:

"There is a software update but it's still under testing, should be available in 8 weeks. Your local dealership will contact you for this "free of charge" security update."

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #184
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Finally got through to bmw uk.

Recieved the same answer as everyone else "the fix is currently available for X5 & X6 models only" and a free fix for for all other models will become available within the next eight weeks.

The one thing I will add is that you don't have to return your car to the dealer that you purchased it from. BMW UK will take your details and automatically register you for the free fix to be carried out at your nearest dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #185
Ste
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d LCI

I just bought a 2010 330d LCI and I'm picking it up on Saturday morning so I mailed the sales guy in the dealer asking if I could have the "technical measures" mentioned in the BMW press release installed on my car prior to collection on Saturday.

His respones was "BMW are contacting some owners of X5's and X6's to trial a measure that will mitigate against this sort of attack but as yet, there is nothing for any other models"

"Trial a measure" - sounds like BMW haven't a clue what their doing and have blatantly lied in that press release
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #186
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
No point being annoyed with Watchdog,they only passed on the information that BMW passed on to them.

It was clear what happened yesterday IMO,BMW were originally quite happy to ignore the programme until the story gained momentum through the media,and the stance from BMW changed as the programme approached.

There was no security update available when the programme was broadcast,and there is not one available now,this whole fiasco is nothing more than damage limitation from BMW,and Watchdog were caught flatfooted by what I think was a very late change of approach from BMW with the hastily organised freephone number 'con'.

Personally,I'm more than happy with the steps I've taken to secure my car,and to be honest,even if a security update becomes available,I will still question how it works and if it as effective as what I have already done.

01344 480 971

"There is a software update but it's still under testing, should be available in 8 weeks. Your local dealership will contact you for this "free of charge" security update."

Watchdog are normally quite good at following up on these stories, so it may be worth watching next week as the chances are they will have had a flood of new calls on the basis of this response from BMW.

I think after the cracked wheels fiasco, BMW are more 'wary' of the power of Watchdog to kick up a ruck. The big pity here is that they haven't been more proactive and it has had to come to this. Total arrogance on the part of BMW UK. Nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #187
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Just had a call from my dealer, no immediate patch available, 8 week wait for this to be deployed.

My obd is staying firmly out of view!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #188
jonnyuk06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE

i just called my local leicester dealer. the receptionist asked for my car/model/year and said only cars after 2007 are effected and my 2006 is fine??????

First i've heard of this!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #189
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

01344 480 971

Just a retarded network of customer services and dealership.

Spoke to a very 'not helpful' lady, who asked last 7 digits of my VIN (can't find your car by private reg ).

She: 'Sir, have you bought your car from dealer?'

Me: 'Nope, does it really matter'

She: No response for my last question. 'Sir only 2007-2012 cars suffers from this potential risk of theft, and fortunately your car is not affected by this'.

Me: 'How can you say that as I have locked my car and tried to program it and it gave me access to it?'

She: 'That is not possible.'

Me: 'Who decides then which cars are affected?'

She: 'Our technical dept'

Me: 'Can I speak to them then and correct them?'

She: 'Unfortunately, you cannot sir, as they are technical team and not customer services'

Me: 'So what is the point of ringing your helpful customer services if that is not helpful at all?'

She: 'Sir, as I said your car is not affected by this particular theft matter'

Me: I am thinking now what is point of arguing with a bunch of idiots. 'Thanks for your help and bye'.

What a coincidence that only 5 years old cars from 2012 can be stolen and should get update, (yet to be confirmed) if there is any?

Has somebody seen / heard of 2006 cars being stolen?

I wish that key cloner was cheap and I would love to proove BMW wrong by adding additional key on my car.

Well no hopes from these silly people.

Back to my DIY stuff and make it safe yourself.

P.S: Is there a place where I can go and express all the nasty words for BMW.
      09-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #190
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyuk06 View Post
i just called my local leicester dealer. the receptionist asked for my car/model/year and said only cars after 2007 are effected and my 2006 is fine??????

Yes, as they are thinking of covering max 5 years old car.
That explains it well.
      09-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #191
smacg
Smacg
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 320d Msport

Garage List
whats the likelihood that my 08 e92 which was not bought from a BMW dealer will be covered? and fixed for free?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #192
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Just ordered a dummy OBD port. Should arrive on Tuesday from Germany.

I asked them about this and the guy just said phone cust serv. i said they said to call my dealer and he said they've been told to tell owners to call cust services. Bloody BMW dealers...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #193
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacg
whats the likelihood that my 08 e92 which was not bought from a BMW dealer will be covered? and fixed for free?
Technically it does not matter.
You should stand firm to get it done.
      09-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #194
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
Not going to waste my time contacting BMW direct as everyone who's posting seems have been told the same advice: for e90's we need to wait the 8 weeks (or so) until it's been trialled on the X5/6.

So I guess it's grin and bear it for the moment...

A bit of a result having Watchdog on the case though as this issue has been dragging on for f**king months now with BMW refusing to acknowledge the issue, so IMO this is progress at least.

Still, taking no chances: my OBD2 port is staying hidden and I'll be using my Disklok at all times.
      09-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #195
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I would avoid Stephen James in South London...I phoned one of their salesman ages ago...he was rude...FCUK them!..

Back on topic, I hope that the fix is ready within the 8 weeks timescale!...anyone called the number?...do we need to call so that we "register" for this fix or what?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #196
jester77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyuk06 View Post

+1

I've got a '55 plate and got the same line from BMW Battersea - "only cars from 2007 affected". So sounds like this is part of the official line from BMW and not an error by the receptionist so perhaps it is true. Can anyone confirm?

Perhaps there was a software / hardware change in '07 (with LCI?) that opened this particular flaw - I find it hard to believe but maybe.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #197
jester77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Yes, as they are thinking of covering max 5 years old car.
That explains it well.
Indeed - maybe that explains it!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #198
tazg101
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I would avoid Stephen James in South London...I phoned one of their salesman ages ago...he was rude...FCUK them!..

Back on topic, I hope that the fix is ready within the 8 weeks timescale!...anyone called the number?...do we need to call so that we "register" for this fix or what?

I called and the bloke took my details and created a case file for me. Said that will be passed onto my local dealer who will then contact me when update is available.
Appreciate 0