E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > cracked subframe

06-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #23
purquh1
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocay View Post
I would agree, as I hit nothing I'd consider major and i didnt bend any wheels, BUT I found out 3 of my factory wheels were cracked and I 100% blame the RFTs.
It is very easy to bend and crack rims with RTF - the rims are not heated treated and the inner tube of the tire doesnt absorb shock,.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #24
purquh1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
I think most of us understand potholes. I live in the dc metro area and I've hit potholes that would crack in half all of these cheap reps people run on their BMWs. I have yet to bend the OEM wheels w/ RFTs. I have absolutely no idea what I would have to hit in order bend an OEM wheel, lower camber arm, upper toe arm, and crack the rear subframe.
DC roads have nothing on NYC - in addition... MANY MANY ppl have bent rims / tires in this region, just speak to the dealers or users in the area they will tell you.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Out of curiosity, are you running 18's or 19's?

Earlier this year, I hit a pretty huge pot hole that spanned the entire lane (so all four wheels went straight into this god damn thing) at 40-50 mph. The impact was huge - one could almost get a whiplash from it. Luckily I was using my 17" wheels + non-RFT snow tires with lots of cusion. Otherwise, my OEM rims would most likely cracked or bend, and sustaining damage to the suspension or frame.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
purquh1
Rep

Its the mounting point on the right side. The weld broke
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #27
purquh1
Rep

Thx for ur advice. I have contacted an attorney.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #28
purquh1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Call BMWNA and ask nicely. If that doesn't work, ask a lawyer to write them a letter. I know a dozen people who've had claims denied by dealers but got their cars fixed by contacting the manufacturer.
Thx for your advice. I hv contacted an attorney.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #29
purquh1
Rep

I have 17" OEM RFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
Out of curiosity, are you running 18's or 19's?

Earlier this year, I hit a pretty huge pot hole that spanned the entire lane (so all four wheels went straight into this god damn thing) at 40-50 mph. The impact was huge - one could almost get a whiplash from it. Luckily I was using my 17" wheels non-RFT snow tires with lots of cusion. Otherwise, my OEM rims would most likely cracked or bend, and sustaining damage to the suspension or frame.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #30
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Why should BMW warranty cover damage that is definitely related to impacts? If you don't want to worry about potholes get a Hummer, or an M1 Abrams...
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Why should BMW warranty cover damage that is definitely related to impacts? If you don't want to worry about potholes get a Hummer, or an M1 Abrams...
You don't think BMW should cover something like a weld cracking over a pothole on a 2 year old car on stock rims / suspension? Bmw did accept responsibility on e46 M3s with the same issue.

It's bad enough that we have to pay for rims cracking due to runflats etc but we shouldn't have to accept responsibility for something like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #32
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by purquh1 View Post
Anyword on your car in Houston? this is obviously an issue for more than people in NYC -
Fixed under warranty...should be getting the car back today!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #33
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
First of all, whoever is callin the OP out for his driving habits should go see how difficult it is to avoid potholes in NY. It's ridiculous and chances are you are bound to hit somebody if you do try to miss 'em. Furthermore, it's Bmw's problem if a car that is only 2 years old, can't withstand the roads of NY.

I do think getting rid of runflats will greatly help our cars. However, the subframe mounting points were an issue with the e46 M3s too (not sure of the 330s etc) so it's not like this is something random for Bmws. And they did issue a recall to fix this on those models. If I member correctly, member "cambertoe" in Jersey had a client recently with similar issues.

If you are referring to me, yes we had rear suspension issues on a customers car, but it was the rear shock tower mount that cracked at the seam weld where the shock goes through the body. The previous shop left the Koni yellows set to full soft with lowering springs, and combined with NYC roads and BBS CH wheels, it blew the shocks out after 2 years and the cracked the mount. Mark Chen is the guys name. I was able to weld it back together which fixed the issue.

I have yet to see a subframe crack though, if you could take some pics that would be quite helpful....just soI know what to look for, since Our shop is on Long Island...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #34
purquh1
Rep

Anyway I can't get the name of the dealership and see if I can persuade my local dealership? Was the damage caused by a pothole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post
Quote:
Anyword on your car in Houston? this is obviously an issue for more than people in NYC -
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #35
purquh1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post
Quote:
My email is klein10@yahoo.com
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #36
purquh1
Rep

Hi Do you have an email address? Where is your shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
First of all, whoever is callin the OP out for his driving habits should go see how difficult it is to avoid potholes in NY. It's ridiculous and chances are you are bound to hit somebody if you do try to miss 'em. Furthermore, it's Bmw's problem if a car that is only 2 years old, can't withstand the roads of NY.

I do think getting rid of runflats will greatly help our cars. However, the subframe mounting points were an issue with the e46 M3s too (not sure of the 330s etc) so it's not like this is something random for Bmws. And they did issue a recall to fix this on those models. If I member correctly, member "cambertoe" in Jersey had a client recently with similar issues.

If you are referring to me, yes we had rear suspension issues on a customers car, but it was the rear shock tower mount that cracked at the seam weld where the shock goes through the body. The previous shop left the Koni yellows set to full soft with lowering springs, and combined with NYC roads and BBS CH wheels, it blew the shocks out after 2 years and the cracked the mount. Mark Chen is the guys name. I was able to weld it back together which fixed the issue.

I have yet to see a subframe crack though, if you could take some pics that would be quite helpful....just soI know what to look for, since Our shop is on Long Island...
Appreciate 0