E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Power folding mirror problem

12-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
alexnitu88
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

E90 Power folding mirror problem

Hi everyone,

My name is Alex, I'm new here.

I'm also the new owner of a bmw e90 320d, my first car , and I absolutely love it

I bought it with 40k on the clock.

Everything works like a charm, except for power folding mirrors.

They fold in ok, but when they fold out, my left mirror doesnt stop in the right position and goes all the way forward and stops with a nasty click.

I usually stop it by hand midway so it can be used but when i lock the car or unlock it, it starts moving forward again.Having to do this every time you get in or out of the car is killing me.Sometimes it starts moving even when i flash my lights.

Has anyone had this problem before and did you manage to fix it?

I tried searching google but nobody seemed to have an answer.

Please help me out

Thank !
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I had a similar problem. I think it may be that the mirror is locked into the wrong detent. There's a ring under the pivot that has two detents. They are close, but not exactly 180 degrees apart. How I fixed mine was to let it extend all the way out, then manually rotate it about 170 degrees inward again until it pops into the other detent, then cycle the mirrors a few times with the button to make sure all is well. I don't know how mine got messed up in the first place, but since I've forced it back, it's worked fine ever since. I'd be careful though, as the wires all feed through the center of the pivot. If you rotate it around too many times, it could bind up.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
MCOChuck
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
I had a similar problem. I think it may be that the mirror is locked into the wrong detent. There's a ring under the pivot that has two detents. They are close, but not exactly 180 degrees apart. How I fixed mine was to let it extend all the way out, then manually rotate it about 170 degrees inward again until it pops into the other detent, then cycle the mirrors a few times with the button to make sure all is well. I don't know how mine got messed up in the first place, but since I've forced it back, it's worked fine ever since. I'd be careful though, as the wires all feed through the center of the pivot. If you rotate it around too many times, it could bind up.
Hi,

I’m having the same issue also on the left mirror. It did it once a few months ago and I was able to move it back and its been fine until today. Now it’s doing it every time I unlock the car. I tried your suggestion (a few times so I suspect the wires are properly tangled up in there now) but still no joy.

Has anyone else run into this issue and what was the solution? At this point I’d be happy to lose the folding mirror capabilities to stop this from happening!

Thanks,
Chuck

Last edited by MCOChuck; 01-10-2011 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Pics added
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
Spy021
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Jet Blk/Blk/6mt

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
If you are under your 4yrs just take it in to the dealership and have them look at it. It should be covered under warranty.

Also, I've noticed quite a few people that seem to fold their mirrors in quite frequently. Just curious why this is? Are mirrors damaged frequently in the areas you live?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
MCOChuck
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy021 View Post
If you are under your 4yrs just take it in to the dealership and have them look at it. It should be covered under warranty.

Also, I've noticed quite a few people that seem to fold their mirrors in quite frequently. Just curious why this is? Are mirrors damaged frequently in the areas you live?
Unfortunately it’s out of warranty.

The only time I’ve used the folding mirror feature is when I hit the button by accident. Suppose it’s handy if you’re parking in a tight garage...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
trk06
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no spare

Ok, i have the same issue,
open the cover of the mirror and look where the coil is. there should be black plastic looking ring that stops the mirror from going that far.

here is the part: it is the special option that was offered.

i Special option SA 430 contains SA 313
For vehicles with
Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S430A=Yes
01 heated outside mirror, left 1 51167189977

see pic.
Attached Images

01-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy021 View Post

The reason I fold my mirrors all of the time is to prevent people from hitting my mirror when they walk between the cars in the parking lot. It's to prevent people from doing this: http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/a...ideMirror2.jpg
      01-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
MCOChuck
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk06 View Post
open the cover of the mirror and look where the coil is. there should be black plastic looking ring that stops the mirror from going that far.

For vehicles with
S430A=Yes

see pic.
There’s a guy on Ebay that is selling these (51167189977). I just picked up one but he’s got three more. I’ve asked that he ensures the mirror he ships has the part you described intact. For about $50 shipped, I figure it’s worth a try...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Any tips on getting the mirror cover off?

Thanks,
Chuck
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
trk06
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no spare

I just returned one i bought from him a day after i received it ( 2 days ago ). it did not have the part i was looking for. if you look at the pictures the last one on his listing shows the part i was talking about.
Part # on his listing indicates the correct mirror but make sure that has that special option. I am still waiting for the mirror to get to him so i can get my money back.
Let me know how your mirror look when it comes.
      01-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
MCOChuck
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just returned one i bought from him a day after i received it ( 2 days ago ). it did not have the part i was looking for. if you look at the pictures the last one on his listing shows the part i was talking about.
Part # on his listing indicates the correct mirror but make sure that has that special option. I am still waiting for the mirror to get to him so i can get my money back.
Let me know how your mirror look when it comes.
Will do!

Chuck
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

If anyone finds a solution to this problem, please let me know. My driver's side mirror started doing this today. It was odd because I didn't have my mirrors folded in, but when I unlocked the car, the driver's side mirror extended all the way out roughly 90 degrees past where it is supposed to stop. I've corrected its position by hand, but if I hit the fold/unfold button it will go all the back out rather than stopping where it should.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Okay I found this solution in another thread and it's worked for me so far. When the mirror is extended all the way (to the incorrect position) and the other mirror is in its proper position, take your hand and pull the incorrect mirror all the way back in to the folded in position. Then press the button to fold the mirrors in. Press the button again and the mirrors should both reset to the proper folded out position.

I have no idea how long this fix will last, but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
iewgnaw
I'm in your face
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcat151 View Post
Okay I found this solution in another thread and it's worked for me so far. When the mirror is extended all the way (to the incorrect position) and the other mirror is in its proper position, take your hand and pull the incorrect mirror all the way back in to the folded in position. Then press the button to fold the mirrors in. Press the button again and the mirrors should both reset to the proper folded out position.

I have no idea how long this fix will last, but so far so good.
THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHHHH

and

I had this problem since winter and I fixed my mirror today because of you.
Wheels:Volk TE37SL Mag Blue 18x9.5/18x11
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
beppy
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i ZPP ZSP ZCW

Tried it did not work for me

Hoping someone can post a DYI
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
MrWho
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I have the same problem. I've tried folding it back in and the pressing the button to fold them again. It just makes a really loud click, but then when it folds back out, it extends too far again. How did you fold in the mirrors and was there a loud click as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
abcde
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue

This makes me not want to use my folding mirrors feature...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Mine did that about two days ago

I pushed the button and it self corrected.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #18
sweetlady
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i coupe

How to remove the side mirror cover

Quote:

For vehicles with
S430A=Yes

see pic.
Hi!

Can you please describe how to "open the cover" of the mirror? I have searched, but cannot find instructions. Can you point to a DIY?

Thank you...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Ghost Protocol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlady View Post
Hi!

Can you please describe how to "open the cover" of the mirror? I have searched, but cannot find instructions. Can you point to a DIY?

Thank you...
Bump. I'm having the same issue. How do you open the mirror?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #20
Ghost Protocol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Manually line the broken mirror back into it's proper position when the opposite mirror is situated. You will know that the mirror is off track because you'll be able to jiggle it. Try to flex it downwards, upwards, maybe a slight twisting motion... If you're lucky it will take over and pop itself back into position. That's what happened for me. Crisis averted. I will never use the folding feature with these mirrors again.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #21
BMTroubleYOU
Repair Wizard BMW Mechanic
Canada
Rep
Drives: e46_e39 rulez

ha-ha..
i will never use the folding option ever again...
told ya e90 is SH!T
anyways problem never solved. nooone. bye. going back to e46.. proudly..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #22
bbarnson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I was having the same issue with the passenger side mirror. The dealership wouldn't cover it and neither would the warranty company. Long story, but anyway, what I did to fix it was fold the passenger mirror out (glass facing out) and hit the button to fold them in. Passenger mirror made the cracking, breaking like sound once it folded all the way in. Once they stop, hit the button again, and mine reset back tot he original position. Hopefully this will help, but I will not be using this again.
Appreciate 0