E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Looking to change my exhaust..

10-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looking to change my exhaust..

Hey guys

I’m exploring the idea of changing the standard, one oval exhaust on my 320i – the reason for changing is purely for sound.

Before any of you 335 owners come along and have a go about why I’m making my car look like yours – I’m not . I’m not going down the one exhaust on each side.. all I want is a double exhaust (just the back box and tips, not the whole system) to replace the fairly quiet oval one.

I know that I can’t get a huge amount of sound with the 320i, however after going through some posts on here, I came across the BMW performance exhaust for the 320i and it sounds great! Yes, I have an auto – but I have the steptronic and sports mode so can be in control of the sound!

*The sound I’m wanting*: that screaming sound that the BMW performance one gives! Only thing – the cost. Due to other financial commitments and the Mrs, I cant justify spending that much on it.

I don’t want anything chavvy or hugely loud like the old max power cars.. just the sound that the BMW performance gives (yes I know I keep mentioning that one – if only I could afford it!).

The threads that I’ve seen mention Schmiedmann, Remus, BMW Performance and a few others independent companies who make their own systems.

Unfortunately, the Schmiedmann is a bit out of my budget, the Remus ones sounds a bit too chavvy for me from what I’ve seen on youtube clips (please correct me if I’m wrong and apologies if I am).

I went through a members post on here (Thanks Ish!) and his set up sounds great. Complete new back box with tips and he also has a 320 and from what I can see on his video clip, it sounds really nice. Best part is that he got it done for just under £200! (from MIJ Exhausts in Birmingham) That’s within my budget J

This is his:

Only thing is, that’s about 3 hours away from me and although I wouldn’t mind travelling that far, I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a place in or around the Herts area, as that’s where I’m mainly based.

Given what I’m looking for (sound: scream / price: within £200 / Look: OEM looking double tips) I’d really appreciate if I could have your thoughts and recommendations of what I could go for and any places nearer than Birmingham.

Many thanks!

S
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone? Anything at all? Pleaaase
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

BCS box or the one you mentioned.
Both works but which one is better?
No idea.
      10-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
BCS box or the one you mentioned.
Both works but which one is better?
No idea.
Thanks Mate.. Appreciate it.

Wondering if any other 320 owners or anyone else could advise any other good places/exhausts to get based on their experiences/recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Not of much help but go to birms, get it done and drive home to that screaming sound....
      10-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Not of much help but go to birms, get it done and drive home to that screaming sound....
Exactly what I was thinking! Nice one dude. Can't wait to get this all sorted. Was reading loads last night about different exhausts and for the money you can't go wrong with these guys. If only I could get me hands on a used performance one!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
pretendporsche
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46M3, 2008 E92 335i

German Ebay? Looked for one on there for my 330i even with shipping it 'seemed' much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendporsche View Post
German Ebay? Looked for one on there for my 330i even with shipping it 'seemed' much cheaper.
Cheers mate, gonna have a look but also got in contact in contact with MIJ in Birmingham so hopefully should get something sorted soon!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

if that is a 320...and it sounds like that...then that 3hr journey is nothing. Factor in the petrol cost to get there and back and see if it is still within your budget...if it is then away you go buddy cause that sounds good!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Tried Blueflame?
      10-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
nealer74
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Remus is also a cheaper alternative and apparently they manufacture the ACS exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
if that is a 320...and it sounds like that...then that 3hr journey is nothing. Factor in the petrol cost to get there and back and see if it is still within your budget...if it is then away you go buddy cause that sounds good!
Cheers mate - I've been speaking with a chap there and they've been really helpful. Think I'm gonna book it in within a month or so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Tried Blueflame?
Had a look on their website and also had a lot of TT forum members (car I had previosuly) go for the blueflame - however it's outside my budget. MIJ are coming in under £200 so suits me quite well.. unless I'm missing something on BF's website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealer74 View Post
Remus is also a cheaper alternative and apparently they manufacture the ACS exhaust.
Also had a look on their website and again are out of my budget :/

For the cost and sound - I think MIJ are coming in winners - unless anyone else can kindly shed any light on other companies?!

Thanks again guys - appreciate your thoughts
Appreciate 0