E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Reliability E90 330i or 330xi

01-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
91nctdi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Planning get one

Reliability E90 330i or 330xi

I did research on E90post and their a lot those E90 are very reliability but of course some have problem like head bolts, water pump and thermostat. After that replace, then it good for long time. I am not worry about how going fast like 335i do. At least it have power to go! I do like 330XI with sport package or 328i unless good deal. Does any one have 330xi in this forum. Please tell me about your car like how many miles on your BMW and what kind issues y'all had and what kind upgrade y'all do?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

3 people in my family have n52 e90 xi cars and we have all had pretty good luck so far. And any mods done to a naturally apirated car within reason shouldnt hurt reliablility

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

maintain the car. if you do it should treat you very well. sometimes it can be quite a bit of $$$ but its better than the unexpect sh!t that could come up if you neglect little things.

your not going to find too many 330's because they were only made in 06.

I just bought my car, if you search you ll find a bunch of threads i started about what happens when you hit 100k +.

nothing too bad as long as you keep with things. Just remember, cars coming out of Germany require lots more attention than Japan. So if you have a honda, toyota, etc prepare to do more than you are now.
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91nctdi View Post
I did research on E90post and their a lot those E90 are very reliability but of course some have problem like head bolts, water pump and thermostat. After that replace, then it good for long time. I am not worry about how going fast like 335i do. At least it have power to go! I do like 330XI with sport package or 328i unless good deal. Does any one have 330xi in this forum. Please tell me about your car like how many miles on your BMW and what kind issues y'all had and what kind upgrade y'all do?

Thanks!
No issues @ 67K. Just use quality parts and fluids and do the regular maint and you are fine. I love this thing. Also, 330i is lighter. Just get AA tune and performance exhaust, non-rft tires and enjoy! It will go 200K+ if you take care of it. This is the best engine. So smooooth !!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I just hit 100k miles on my way to work... no major issues whatsoever. Engine is just getting broken into. No major issues at all yet. Still running on original battery and water pump. I m looking into change these 2 soon. All I ve done the basic maintenance thats all. I have had my car over 7 yrs and still looks a runs great in my opinion. cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
I just hit 100k miles on my way to work... no major issues whatsoever. Engine is just getting broken into. No major issues at all yet. Still running on original battery and water pump. I m looking into change these 2 soon. All I ve done the basic maintenance thats all. I have had my car over 7 yrs and still looks a runs great in my opinion. cheers!
id do the waterpump + t stat sooner than later if i were you..... dont want to get stranded somewhere.
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Eughhhh XI..... honestly unless you are rookie who can't properly feather the throttle or too cheap to buy proper snows I think it's an unnecessary option. The extra dead weight & rotating mass, plus loss of steering feel isn't worth having some extra traction during winter. Plus your car rides higher and looks worse. These cars have 50/50 weight distribution and with a proper set of winter tires (not that low-sidewall performance snow tire BS) the car is a beast in the winter. Plus power over-steer in low traction situations are too much fun in a Rwd car.

In terms of performance mods you are kinda limited to an ECU tune or cat deletes. Exhausts are just for the sound. If you want real gains outta your exhaust you have to start hacking out cats. Our primary cat is in the header so if you wanna remove that you are best off buying supersprint or MMW catless headers but they are expensive and run into all sorts of emissions issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
LemonIce
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: N/A

Very reliable but of course every car has its "common issue" unfortunately for the n52 is the lifter... man I miss my e90
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
91nctdi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Eughhhh XI..... honestly unless you are rookie who can't properly feather the throttle or too cheap to buy proper snows I think it's an unnecessary option. The extra dead weight & rotating mass, plus loss of steering feel isn't worth having some extra traction during winter. Plus your car rides higher and looks worse. These cars have 50/50 weight distribution and with a proper set of winter tires (not that low-sidewall performance snow tire BS) the car is a beast in the winter. Plus power over-steer in low traction situations are too much fun in a Rwd car.

In terms of performance mods you are kinda limited to an ECU tune or cat deletes. Exhausts are just for the sound. If you want real gains outta your exhaust you have to start hacking out cats. Our primary cat is in the header so if you wanna remove that you are best off buying supersprint or MMW catless headers but they are expensive and run into all sorts of emissions issues.
I know this sound stupid question, I wonder have people try remove XI to change I with 2 wheels drive? It hard to explain to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
I have a 330xi and my friend has a 330i which I also drive in almost every day lol..They are both GREAT cars! The XI is heavier and you can't really feel the "pull" since the power is going to all 4 wheels (biased to the rear) instead of just the 2 rear wheels but it certainly pulls especially from a full stop. You get all the reliability of a n52 engine + the speed you can't get in the lower end models. I have to admit I was looking into 335's the other day but they just aren't in my price range. I've gotten used to the power on mine (stock besides remus muffler, resonator delete, and K&N drop-in filter) especially after a year and a half but I appreciate it EVERY day even though all these newer cars are getting faster and faster with all their turbos..even the Japanese cars..but they still aren't a bimmer .

As for the reliability.. I'm about to hit 88k miles and I've had it for a bout 8k miles. Around this many miles, your going to have to replace the head cover gasket which can run you about $4-500. Knock on wood that's the only major problem you run into other than regular maintenance which isn't too bad..you can reach 200k in a stride so I've heard and I don't doubt it at all.

As for mods...TONS of cosmetic mods but not enough for performance..I'm planning to rebuild my exhaust (catless headers, quads, mid-pipes), AA Stage 2 Tune, haven't decided on an intake (possible euro box), WEIGHT REDUCTION (especially if you decide to get an XI since they are 200lbs heavier than a regular 330i). You can really get up there with power depending on how deep your wallet is but there definitely is a limit for our N52's..there isn't much you can add with all the $ you put into it. But e90's all together can be lookers..real good lookers

Here's a link for performance mods:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789500

Here's a link for how to get to 200k miles:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788317

and for cosmetic mods just check out the Photo/Media Gallery and get some ideas.

You won't regret getting any 330 just make sure it has sports package AT LEAST. I have all 3 (cold, sport, and premium package) but if you have sports with the sport seats you'll be comfortable. And if you get an XI make sure you drop it asap!! That's all I got for you

EDIT:

Fuse 20 in the fuse box behind you glove compartment removes 4x4 for some fun..but you also lose ABS and traction control and your wipers go crazy til you restart the car and your blinkers too so it isn't safe to drive around with but good fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
EDIT:

Fuse 20 in the fuse box behind you glove compartment removes 4x4 for some fun..but you also lose ABS and traction control and your wipers go crazy til you restart the car and your blinkers too so it isn't safe to drive around with but good fun.
I learn something new everyday! I didn't know you could do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I learn something new everyday! I didn't know you could do this.
I'd agree with your sentiments about xi vs non-xi, but xi isn't TERRIBLE. Something has to be said when you're in an empty schoolparking lot, doing awd doughnuts before heading home in the snow.

How about this new thought: if you're a cheapass and don't want to burn through tires messing around in the summer, get an xi and go to town in the winter (if you have snow).

All the fun, none of the tire-wear. .
Yes, I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post
How about this new thought: if you're a cheapass and don't want to burn through tires messing around in the summer, get an xi and go to town in the winter (if you have snow).
If you're a cheap-ass what are you doing buying a BMW then?!?

I will say this though, if it is your first BMW you really should be getting a car that put BMW on the map, ie. rear wheel drive, sports package with 6spd MT. BMW came out with x-drive to compete with Audi, ie it was an afterthought. After almost 3 Canadian winters with my car there has not been ONE situation were I wished I had awd (though I always had good winter tires). You spend much more time on dry roads anyways so why sacrifice what makes a BMW a BMW for the few times a year you get some snow?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
91nctdi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I have a 330xi and my friend has a 330i which I also drive in almost every day lol..They are both GREAT cars! The XI is heavier and you can't really feel the "pull" since the power is going to all 4 wheels (biased to the rear) instead of just the 2 rear wheels but it certainly pulls especially from a full stop. You get all the reliability of a n52 engine + the speed you can't get in the lower end models. I have to admit I was looking into 335's the other day but they just aren't in my price range. I've gotten used to the power on mine (stock besides remus muffler, resonator delete, and K&N drop-in filter) especially after a year and a half but I appreciate it EVERY day even though all these newer cars are getting faster and faster with all their turbos..even the Japanese cars..but they still aren't a bimmer .

As for the reliability.. I'm about to hit 88k miles and I've had it for a bout 8k miles. Around this many miles, your going to have to replace the head cover gasket which can run you about $4-500. Knock on wood that's the only major problem you run into other than regular maintenance which isn't too bad..you can reach 200k in a stride so I've heard and I don't doubt it at all.

As for mods...TONS of cosmetic mods but not enough for performance..I'm planning to rebuild my exhaust (catless headers, quads, mid-pipes), AA Stage 2 Tune, haven't decided on an intake (possible euro box), WEIGHT REDUCTION (especially if you decide to get an XI since they are 200lbs heavier than a regular 330i). You can really get up there with power depending on how deep your wallet is but there definitely is a limit for our N52's..there isn't much you can add with all the $ you put into it. But e90's all together can be lookers..real good lookers

Here's a link for performance mods:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789500

Here's a link for how to get to 200k miles:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788317

and for cosmetic mods just check out the Photo/Media Gallery and get some ideas.

You won't regret getting any 330 just make sure it has sports package AT LEAST. I have all 3 (cold, sport, and premium package) but if you have sports with the sport seats you'll be comfortable. And if you get an XI make sure you drop it asap!! That's all I got for you

EDIT:

This is very interesting! I should go to 330I than taking 330xi. One of my friend told me that want give me a 1993 BMW 328i with 5 speed manual. Only car need fuel pump and tune up because it sat for like 5 years. BUT I still want E90!

It's hard to find a 06 330i with Navigation system, automatic, sport package like fully load with Grey exterior and Black Leather seat with Aluminum trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91nctdi View Post
This is very interesting! I should go to 330I than taking 330xi. One of my friend told me that want give me a 1993 BMW 328i with 5 speed manual. Only car need fuel pump and tune up because it sat for like 5 years. BUT I still want E90!

It's hard to find a 06 330i with Navigation system, automatic, sport package like fully load with Grey exterior and Black Leather seat with Aluminum trim.
Definitely get the E90. The ONLY upside for me having a 330xi is that I can accelerate harder out a corner and not lose traction. I don't live near snow so I have no need for AWD where I live and I don't think it snows in NC where you live either. I'd shoot for a 330i if I were you but if a good deal pops up for a 330xi...why not? Also, a tip I learned while car hunting..don't be so picky on the Navi system or trimming, pick which exterior colors you wouldn't mind so you can broaden your selection (for ex. I wanted a white or gray e90, I didn't like the other colors), interior didn't matter much, trim didn't matter at all since you can vinyl wrap it later on, the car just had to have Sport and Premium package. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
ruquik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi 6MT Wagon

I'm loving my 325xi with new snow tires. Overkill for for where I live, but always ready for the storm.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
If you're a cheap-ass what are you doing buying a BMW then?!?

I will say this though, if it is your first BMW you really should be getting a car that put BMW on the map, ie. rear wheel drive, sports package with 6spd MT. BMW came out with x-drive to compete with Audi, ie it was an afterthought. After almost 3 Canadian winters with my car there has not been ONE situation were I wished I had awd (though I always had good winter tires). You spend much more time on dry roads anyways so why sacrifice what makes a BMW a BMW for the few times a year you get some snow?!?
You're a lucky one, and get to live in the city. I'm on the boarder edge of suburbs, and on days like today, you bet your butt it helps. In all honesty though, the xi was purchased for my parents. They get out of the house by 6, well before any plows come through. I roll in a beater Civic with snows during the week.

And yes, BIG yes for old-school bmw's. There's an e36m3 somewhere around the corner.

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
My car has 125,XXX miles and has been really reliable *knock on wood*. The biggest thing I had to do is replacing the head cylinder block (for ticking noise) but was covered under CPO warranty.

The cool thing about getting a 330 is some of the feature like folding mirrors, xenon headlights, premium sound and etc comes standard and is a option for 325/328 unless BMW changed that or unless you can find a used 328 that has those options. Power in 330 is decent as well. Not fast but not too slow.
      01-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #19
calvinwu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
1991 Nissan  [9.00]
2006 BMW E90 330i  [8.00]
My E90 330 runs perfectly and I also give her best care since I bought her

2006 Lamborghini Gallado / 1997 E36 328 coupe / 1991 Z32 300zxTT Stage XII
1996 Mustang Cobra Sold
1994 E31 850csi Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
AGood22
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006

I have a 330xi with 96000 mile and no issues what soever you just need to maintain it
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post
I'd agree with your sentiments about xi vs non-xi, but xi isn't TERRIBLE. Something has to be said when you're in an empty schoolparking lot, doing awd doughnuts before heading home in the snow.

All the fun, none of the tire-wear. .
Yes, I'm a glass half full kind of guy.
That was great to read. My friend who was coming from an e36 m3 is thinking about an e90 330xi just so he physically cant do burnouts and trash his tires in the summer... But he's from cali now he lives in Pittsburgh. Bit of a weather difference for him to adapt to

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep

the thing about winter tires is they go to shit pretty quickly if its warmer out. in places where it swings from 16 to 60 in the span of 3 days, im not going to try to change my tires all the time.. all season rft in winter, then summer non run flat in the summer

sorry for 2 different posts

Appreciate 0