E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > carjackings- are u concerned?

05-31-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

carjackings- are u concerned?

with the rise in carjackings in australia and notably sydney, and especially high profile cars such as porsches and bmws (m6 a few days ago, the dentist and her 330, and a few others), does it concern any people here.

i know we shouldnt let the criminals dictate our lives, and if u live in a fairly good area, then ur a little bit safer, but these guys r following the owners to their houses. thats some serious shit.

i dont think it would make me change my mind about car ownership, but its something to consider
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
with the rise in carjackings in australia and notably sydney, and especially high profile cars such as porsches and bmws (m6 a few days ago, the dentist and her 330, and a few others), does it concern any people here.

i know we shouldnt let the criminals dictate our lives, and if u live in a fairly good area, then ur a little bit safer, but these guys r following the owners to their houses. thats some serious shit.

i dont think it would make me change my mind about car ownership, but its something to consider
My mate went out and put the 525i badge back on is E60 5er (w/ M sports package) as he was concerned about the car jackings, however if they did steal the 525i they wouldn't be out running anyone. lol.

My main concern with it is that last year they were taking these beautiful cars SL65, M3, M3 Cabrio, 911 turbo's, CLK55 and after using them in a ram raid as get away cars (since there is not a police car in the country capable of keeping up with them) were torching them! If those photos of burnt out high end cars don't bring a tear to your eye, nothing will!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
I wouldnt change my mind on ownership of a certain kind of vehicle but rather just be more careful where you leave the car. If something was going to happen and you get carjacked, cant really foresee that eh? I wouldnt sell up and drive a Torana so that would be minimized!!

First thing I would do is MOVE INTERSTATE to Melbourne!!!

Last edited by LEA69; 05-31-2007 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
It's a car.

If some psycho wants it, and will threaten your life for it, give it up.

That's why we have tracking features in our cars and automotive insurance.

At the end of the day, it's a big hunk of metal, it's replaceable - I wouldn't dwell on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I suppose that's why our cars are equipped with auto door locks. To help incases of Carjacking. Personally, I hate the doors autolocking and I programmed that out. My wife wont drive anywhere without the doors locked.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
It's a car.

If some psycho wants it, and will threaten your life for it, give it up.

At the end of the day, it's a big hunk of metal, it's replaceable - I wouldn't dwell on it.
totally agree..but you can also practice defensive driving, if you are actually driving the car when the car-jacking takes place as opposed to walking to your car....i went to school in detroit, mi and its not exactly the friendliest of places in the us of a. always give yourself ample distance when stopped so that you can have some sort of get-away (ie. dont tailgate and stop bumper to bumper). apart from that, i guess it really comes down to luck of the draw
      05-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:

anyone who notices they are being followed would be absoloutely stupid to turn into their driveway... seriously... just keep driving and keep your doors locked... when i got crashed into, i didn't get out of my car till i saw the person that crashed into me pull over too, and get out of their car... no brainer though if they are wearing a balaclava though to floor it

i havent driven with my doors unlocked for a few years now.

being in a good area has nothing to do with how safe you are... they guy with the M6 was pulling into his home in bellview hill (or however you spell it), and that's where the guys knocked into him... packer lives in teh same neighbourhood, so it has nothing to do with tehg profile of the area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
that reminds me i should take out some extra insurance when the rest of the parts are installed on my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
I suppose that's why our cars are equipped with auto door locks. To help incases of Carjacking. Personally, I hate the doors autolocking and I programmed that out. My wife wont drive anywhere without the doors locked.
your wife sounds like me... but then again, i drive through some pretty bad areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
totally agree..but you can also practice defensive driving, if you are actually driving the car when the car-jacking takes place as opposed to walking to your car....i went to school in detroit, mi and its not exactly the friendliest of places in the us of a. always give yourself ample distance when stopped so that you can have some sort of get-away (ie. dont tailgate and stop bumper to bumper). apart from that, i guess it really comes down to luck of the draw
also helps with avoiding acidents... it had absoloutely saved my ass on a few ocasions
      05-31-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
I am very concerned
That's why I drive a white colour Volkswagen now

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
I am with you on this. I hate the auto locking but my wife wont drive without it.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
It’s wise to be conscious of your own safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
My mate went out and put the 525i badge back on is E60 5er (w/ M sports package) as he was concerned about the car jackings
A 525 badge would deter a thief more than a Rottweiler on the passenger seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA69 View Post
I heard a few thieves have tried hijacking trams in Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
no brainer though if they are wearing a balaclava though to floor it
Especially in Thredbo. There are carjackers everywhere down there.

Quote:
i havent driven with my doors unlocked for a few years now.
… with the roof open?

Quote:
. but then again, i drive through some pretty bad areas
I’ll say, I see you driving past the carwash every day.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #11
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA69 View Post
I wouldnt change my mind on ownership of a certain kind of vehicle but rather just be more careful where you leave the car. If something was going to happen and you get carjacked, cant really foresee that eh? I wouldnt sell up and drive a Torana so that would be minimized!!

RIGHT ON LEA!!
      06-01-2007, 02:04 AM   #12
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
RIGHT ON LEA!!
or not
      06-01-2007, 02:13 AM   #13
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
or not

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 02:22 AM   #14
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Ooops! Didn't mean to start a melb vs syd thing. I guess some people are a bit sensitive.

More seriously though, maybe coz i'm a bloke, I almost never feel unsafe in my car (ok, maybe in some parking lots in the western suburbs! ). Melbourne, in general, is a fairly safe city. We in Australia are actually quite lucky compared to some other countries....
      06-01-2007, 02:35 AM   #15
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
Especially in Thredbo. There are carjackers everywhere down there.
smart ass

Quote:
… with the roof open?
windows up in bad areas... have you ever tried to jump in a convertible with the windows up? results in painful injuries

Quote:
I’ll say, I see you driving past the carwash every day.
too right... dodgy castle hill people
      06-01-2007, 04:08 AM   #16
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

How does the comfort access react if you leave the car with the controller in your pocket and they drive off with the car thinking all is cool? If your close enough (next to the car) it probably won't show up the warning that the key is not in the car.

Might be a market for fake BMW keys for the purpose of leaving in the car for the occasion a jacking occurs?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #17
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
not sure about bmw's, but with dad's car, i had it running the driveway, and dad had they key in his pocket... he went back inside and the car kept running! not sure if it is meant to be like that, but there you go...
      06-01-2007, 06:08 AM   #18
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

yeah my car will keep running even if i leave the car - comfort access

i read in some other thread u can drive away as well, even with the warning sign on, just wont be able to start it later
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #19
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Unfortunately in Sydney the carjackers don't just wait to see a high end car, but they actually stake them out and wait until they pull into their driveways before coming in, it's pretty much unavoidable if you've been targeted. Which is pretty unfortunate for those of us who live on the lower north shore, where most of this has taken place.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #20
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyways View Post
yeah my car will keep running even if i leave the car - comfort access

i read in some other thread u can drive away as well, even with the warning sign on, just wont be able to start it later
yep, thta's probably how it is, if it is the same as lexus anyway
      06-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #21
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Do you have BMW Assist out there? I'd just give them the car and get away so I can call and have the car tracked.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Which is pretty unfortunate for those of us who live on the lower north shore, where most of this has taken place.
good thing there's another m3 usually parked outside up and on the same street as i am ... in the unfortunate event this street starts being staked out, i hope that one gets their eyes first. but hope it never comes to this, though.
Appreciate 0