E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Custom mount for 2013 Nexus 7

02-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #111
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermixlee View Post
Is it angled slightly towards the driver then?
And I'm not familiar with 3d print design work but in the software is there a mirror function that would flip it round to be the right way for rhd?
Or is there basic template you could send that I could use to make a wooden cutout equivalent?
The mount faces the rear of the vehicle, but the way the dash curves in towards the passenger side can make it look like it angles towards the driver.

I can mirror it, but the tablet itself is not mirrored, so the hardware buttons and camera cutout will be on the wrong side. I can shift those around but that will take a bit longer to do, I'll look into it this weekend since you're not the first person to ask about RHD.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:30 AM   #112
Mastermixlee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7786 View Post
The mount faces the rear of the vehicle, but the way the dash curves in towards the passenger side can make it look like it angles towards the driver.

I can mirror it, but the tablet itself is not mirrored, so the hardware buttons and camera cutout will be on the wrong side. I can shift those around but that will take a bit longer to do, I'll look into it this weekend since you're not the first person to ask about RHD.
That would be fantastic thanks.
I'd be willing to pay for the extra work involved if needed
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #113
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:

If that's where you're at, any chance of reposting the LHD shapeways link? Or PM it to me? I'm not above a bit of post-processing.
      03-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #114
Homez
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320D E90 184 Black

I was looking around for a solution to mount my 2012 nexus 7 and came across this thread.

I'm in the UK and would be very interested in a RHD version if you can do a flipped version?

I work with CAD software so maybe able to help develop or model the different button position. Or if you want any help with dimensions from my RHD e90 to check against id be happy to help out.

Also I see you have left a cut out for the camera on the back, is the height enough that it can be used for a dashcam in this position?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #115
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homez View Post
I was looking around for a solution to mount my 2012 nexus 7 and came across this thread.

I'm in the UK and would be very interested in a RHD version if you can do a flipped version?

I work with CAD software so maybe able to help develop or model the different button position. Or if you want any help with dimensions from my RHD e90 to check against id be happy to help out.

Also I see you have left a cut out for the camera on the back, is the height enough that it can be used for a dashcam in this position?

Thanks
The link for the RHD version is in my sig. I just had someone order the first one about a week ago, so I'd recommend waiting to hear back from him regarding the fitment before getting one. Also these are only for the 2013 Nexus 7.

As far as the camera goes, I think about a 3rd of the image is the dashboard and the rest is out the windshield. I didn't want to place it any higher because my main concern was keeping things as compact as possible.

Last edited by 7786; 03-09-2016 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 05:08 AM   #116
Mastermixlee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Received

I have received the RHD version of this and test fitment was fine :-D

Just having to modify a usb otg power cable at the moment. Found a relatively easy way of doing this for anyone else having the same difficulty.
Simply heat up the micro usb connection (on the cable you purchase) with a hair dryer or a heat gun on a lower heat setting. Wait for the plastic moulding around the connector to become a bit flexible then simply bend the cable round the direction required which then lets you have enough clearance to line up the nexus correctly :-)

Second option is to use a stanley knife or craft knife (think these are called x-acto blades/knives in the U.S.?) and cut away the shrouding to achieve the same effect.

Obviously both methods above risk damagin the connections in the connector but if you're careful then you should be fine.

Got some plastidip on order and have received my usb DAC and usb hub today so really looking forward to having this all setup.

I actually run a pioneer avh8400bt headunit in place of my oem stereo linked up to some amplifiers in the boot powering all my speakers. Whilst I could run the RCA cables direct from the DAC back to the amps and get rid of the pioneer altogether, I will be keeping it in place as I will find it easier to use the graphic eq, subwoofer levels etc using the pioneer and also means I can keep the bluetooth handsfree setup working through the pioneer unit.

I will also be plugging my usb cable from my JB4 into the hub connecting to the nexus aswell as an obd usb interface for the CARLY coding app.

Which will mean I will be able to display all speedo, mpg, etc and adjust jb4 settings through the tablet... resulting in a system that I believe to be far superior to any of the Idrive setups.

I also run a z-wave based home automation setup at home so will also be setting things up in tasker based upon my home arrival for garage doors, driveway lights, etc.

Brilliant work on the mount and very happy with the purchase

I do have one question though as I can't seem to find it in this thread :-S
How have you mounted it using magnets? and what magnets are you using?

Once I have mine all setup I will post pictures up and any tips for us RHD guys for cable routing etc.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #117
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermixlee View Post
I have received the RHD version of this and test fitment was fine :-D

Just having to modify a usb otg power cable at the moment. Found a relatively easy way of doing this for anyone else having the same difficulty.
Simply heat up the micro usb connection (on the cable you purchase) with a hair dryer or a heat gun on a lower heat setting. Wait for the plastic moulding around the connector to become a bit flexible then simply bend the cable round the direction required which then lets you have enough clearance to line up the nexus correctly :-)

Second option is to use a stanley knife or craft knife (think these are called x-acto blades/knives in the U.S.?) and cut away the shrouding to achieve the same effect.

Obviously both methods above risk damagin the connections in the connector but if you're careful then you should be fine.

Got some plastidip on order and have received my usb DAC and usb hub today so really looking forward to having this all setup.

I actually run a pioneer avh8400bt headunit in place of my oem stereo linked up to some amplifiers in the boot powering all my speakers. Whilst I could run the RCA cables direct from the DAC back to the amps and get rid of the pioneer altogether, I will be keeping it in place as I will find it easier to use the graphic eq, subwoofer levels etc using the pioneer and also means I can keep the bluetooth handsfree setup working through the pioneer unit.

I will also be plugging my usb cable from my JB4 into the hub connecting to the nexus aswell as an obd usb interface for the CARLY coding app.

Which will mean I will be able to display all speedo, mpg, etc and adjust jb4 settings through the tablet... resulting in a system that I believe to be far superior to any of the Idrive setups.

I also run a z-wave based home automation setup at home so will also be setting things up in tasker based upon my home arrival for garage doors, driveway lights, etc.

Brilliant work on the mount and very happy with the purchase

I do have one question though as I can't seem to find it in this thread :-S
How have you mounted it using magnets? and what magnets are you using?

Once I have mine all setup I will post pictures up and any tips for us RHD guys for cable routing etc.
Which OTG cable did you end up buying? I've tried a few and the only one I was able to fit was the bobjgear one, with a bit of cutting. It would be nice to know if there are other brands that can fit as well.

The magnets i used don't seem to be up on amazon right now, but they're a pretty standard size so it shouldn't be difficult to find alternatives:

"CMS Magnetics® Neodymium Magnets 1x1/2x1/16" Rare Earth Magnets 8-Count"

The platform on the rear of the mount is 4mm deep and 2"x1", so it will fit two of these magnets perfectly. I superglued two magnets onto the platform, then used 3m double sided tape to hold the opposite two magnets onto the dash. One magnet will be enough to hold the mount, but figured I'd use two since most of magnets available came in packs of 8 or more.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #118
Mastermixlee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Which OTG cable did you end up buying? I've tried a few and the only one I was able to fit was the bobjgear one, with a bit of cutting. It would be nice to know if there are other brands that can fit as well.

The magnets i used don't seem to be up on amazon right now, but they're a pretty standard size so it shouldn't be difficult to find alternatives:

"CMS Magnetics® Neodymium Magnets 1x1/2x1/16" Rare Earth Magnets 8-Count"

The platform on the rear of the mount is 4mm deep and 2"x1", so it will fit two of these magnets perfectly. I superglued two magnets onto the platform, then used 3m double sided tape to hold the opposite two magnets onto the dash. One magnet will be enough to hold the mount, but figured I'd use two since most of magnets available came in packs of 8 or more.
Thanks for the info :-)

I used the following otg cable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NSBVNC...oding=UTF8&me=

It did take a bit of heating and removing a chunk of the shroud. I cut it down first then heated and bent round so the connector would fit snug against the side with the camera hole lined up.

Not ideal but I couldnt find the ninja cable type in the UK.

Just ordered some magnets of very similar size to what you listed.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #119
Watkins01
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

How'd you get on in the end, considering buying the rhd one now before an upcoming trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #120
mitsitsad
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

I just got my 2007 e90 the other day and would love a solution like this. I have access to a 3D printer - could you send me the file to print this? I tried clicking the links in your signature but they're broken
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:27 AM   #121
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325d E90 LCI M-sport

I would be interested to order the mount, would that be possible? I live in Denmark
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #122
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I just got my mount today so I am waiting for my tablet and cables, how did you guys routed the usb cable from tablet to armrest?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmury View Post
I just got my mount today so I am waiting for my tablet and cables, how did you guys routed the usb cable from tablet to armrest?
I personally tucked it into the trim, routed it through the air duct, behind the headunit, through the center console and up through that rubber pad (cut a slit into it) in the arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #124
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

So frame arrived and it looks great, the only thing now left is to install the cables under the middle console. I could not found a 90 degrees micro usb otg cable that will fit properly there, I destroyed 2 of them trying to heat the connector and now I am using one from bobjgear.

So the camera hole is offset a bit and the screen edges are not equal. But I guess I'll have to live with that unless someone recommends a new OTG cable that fits in the frame.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #125
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmury View Post
So frame arrived and it looks great, the only thing now left is to install the cables under the middle console. I could not found a 90 degrees micro usb otg cable that will fit properly there, I destroyed 2 of them trying to heat the connector and now I am using one from bobjgear.

So the camera hole is offset a bit and the screen edges are not equal. But I guess I'll have to live with that unless someone recommends a new OTG cable that fits in the frame.
Bobjgear is the cable I'm using, but I had to trim it a bit to get the tablet completely centered.

Another cable that would physically fit is the ninjacable, but I had to open it and modify it to be an OTG cable. They also have an OTG version but it's been "backordered" since I started this project.

http://ninjacable.com/product/ninja-cable/
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #126
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

And the final result, very satisfied Thanks for the frame and the advices !
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #127
maxgohan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pre-lci e90 335i

Are you still making these?
Wouldn't mind ordering one
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #128
Lil_Osie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Monaco Blue 335i Coupe

Ditto^
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgohan View Post
Are you still making these?
Wouldn't mind ordering one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Osie View Post
Ditto^
You can find the link in my signature but I don't think it shows up on mobile.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #130
Lil_Osie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You can find the link in my signature but I don't think it shows up on mobile.
If you request the desktop version you can see it. Just placed my order for one! Do you recommend a particular epoxy and paint combo or does it not matter for this plastic?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #131
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Osie View Post
If you request the desktop version you can see it. Just placed my order for one! Do you recommend a particular epoxy and paint combo or does it not matter for this plastic?
It shouldn't really matter but for epoxy I used XTC-3D and for the paint I used SEM landau black since it matches the interior black plastic pretty well. I did a crappy job with the paint so if I did mine all over again I would have just left it as is, the finish on the printed part looked okay without needing epoxy/paint (In my opinion)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #132
Lil_Osie
Private First Class
Rep

Did you mount yours with the magnets underneath the dash? Having trouble finding some tht are strong enough.
Appreciate 0