E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help request: Outside mirror folding retrofit using ISTA-P

11-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
polestar
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 316i LCI 2008

Help request: Outside mirror folding retrofit using ISTA-P

I'm planning to retrofit outside folding mirrors for my E91 Touring 2009 MY.

Background:
There is another forum where this is discussed: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...folding+mirror
I have collected information on the manual part of the task; mirror swapping and re-wiring, from there. The programming part, according to the thread involve writing new Vehicle order (VO) to FRM and CAS and then activating relevant features in CAS and FRM (ex: SPIEGEL_EINKLAPPEN = aktiv). As far as I know this could be done with NCS Expert.

My question has three parts, sorry :=) Please feel free to suggest if I need to make separate threads.

Part I
I recently obtained a copy of ISTA-P and K+DCAN cable. ISTA-P could read my car data through K+DCAN cable. Then I navigated to : ISTA-P -> Vehicle -> Conversion menu and could see that the folding mirror retrofit is available for my car. I went ahead, chose the option and determined the measure plan. The plan suggested by ISTA-P matches with what is outlined in the thread I mentioned earlier, except the addition of 'Update integration level' in additional actions. However, the plan doesn't give me an estimated total duration for the task. Anyone has an idea of how long it can take? I'm concerned a bit about the 'Update integration level'. Does this mean ISTA-P will update all ECU's with the latest software version even if it's a retrofit? I don't have an external charger/power supply to keep the battery above 14V throughout the task, though there is a smaller second car in the family that I can connect in parallel to my car battery. Can I exclude the integration level update and do only other actions in the plan and expect the retrofit to still work?

Please find the measure plan and a screenshot of the conversion menu attached.

Part II
How do I customize/code my car manually in ISTA-P? That is, without going through the available retrofit options in the vehicle -> convestion menu. One ISTA-P documentation PDF I read says that, for older cars when you choose Vehicle menu in ISTA-P a CKM tab (Vehicle & Key Memory) appears and you can configure the options there (ex: Digital vehicle speed display = active) . For newer cars like E90/E91, it says there will not be any CKM tab. I could not find a suitable tab under Vehicle menu that is similar to CKM. Please see my vehicle menu screen shot.

Part III
How can I change/write a new Vehicle order (VO) using ISTA-P? Under 'Data management' tab I can see tabs related to VO, but as I understand the VO needs to be obtained from BMW in .xml format and I need to have a USB stick with that .xml file available when ISTA-P is open. I was hoping that the process is similar to NCS Expert where you can read the existing VO, add a new VO and, write it back to the relevant ECU's.

The reason why I prefer ISTA-P is that it has fewer steps involved than NCS Expert for the retrofit. The retrofit plan from ISTA-P seems to suggest that it will take care of all coding and verification in one step. But if it's too much of a hassle, I can still use NCS Expert and NCS dummy to do the retrofit.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Retrofit_mirror_fold_ISTAP.pdf (211.7 KB, 450 views)
      11-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #2
Teddy1975
France
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

like said BIMGE, NCS expert is sufficient pour some retrofit.
i never used ISTA pour the retrofit for this time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
polestar
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 316i LCI 2008

Thank you all. It looks like the NCS route is simpler and can do the job.
      12-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by polestar View Post
Thank you all. It looks like the NCS route is simpler and can do the job.
Yes, a little more intuitive and broader range of support on the forums.
Appreciate 0