E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > BMW Engineer

09-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
BMW Engineer

Hi guys, some of you may have read before that I want to be an engineer for BMW in the future...

I have a question regarding this: Do you have to work in Germany? Or is it possible to work as an engineer but outside Germany? I know this may sound stupid, but if I ever go to work in Germany it'll be a huge life changer.
      09-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport_cat View Post
Hi guys, some of you may have read before that I want to be an engineer for BMW in the future...

I have a question regarding this: Do you have to work in Germany? Or is it possible to work as an engineer but outside Germany? I know this may sound stupid, but if I ever go to work in Germany it'll be a huge life changer.
If you want to go into R&D, yes you pretty much have to go to Germany. You also have to speak German.

If you don't mind working in the production side of the company, you can get a job as an engineer at BMW's Spartanburg plant.

I had lunch the other day with the former VP of Mercedes R&D and he said it was the same thing for them as well. I don't know about VW group though.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
Quote:

If you want to go into R&D, yes you pretty much have to go to Germany. You also have to speak German.

If you don't mind working in the production side of the company, you can get a job as an engineer at BMW's Spartanburg plant.

I had lunch the other day with the former VP of Mercedes R&D and he said it was the same thing for them as well. I don't know about VW group though.
Haha just a casual day at work? What do you do for a living?
      09-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am a Freshman in college, and he is a professor at my school. Since I have pretty much the same goal you do, I made sure to get in contact with him as soon as possible.

It was actually really great talking to him because he was a non-German (he is from India). From what he said, it seems like learning German is one of the most significant reasons that there are not many foreign Engineers in German Auto companies. It goes without saying that you have to be a good engineer as well.

That being said, German is not that hard of a language to learn. I took a few years of it in high school and I thought that the vocabulary is very similar to English. I personally had a little bit of trouble with the grammar, but I think that was just me being a freshman and sophomore in high school more than it actually being hard :P
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I am a Freshman in college, and he is a professor at my school. Since I have pretty much the same goal you do, I made sure to get in contact with him as soon as possible.

It was actually really great talking to him because he was a non-German (he is from India). From what he said, it seems like learning German is one of the most significant reasons that there are not many foreign Engineers in German Auto companies. It goes without saying that you have to be a good engineer as well.

That being said, German is not that hard of a language to learn. I took a few years of it in high school and I thought that the vocabulary is very similar to English. I personally had a little bit of trouble with the grammar, but I think that was just me being a freshman and sophomore in high school more than it actually being hard :P
Oh wow! That's actually great! Where do you go to school?
      09-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The University of Alabama. I know its not traditionally a well known engineering school, but they have just invested a lot of money into their science and engineering program. They have built four new large buildings in the past 10 years (and they are the no expense spared type of buildings). So hopefully the image of Alabama's engineering program will be changing soon.

Are you in college yet? If so where are you going? If not where are you looking at?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The University of Alabama. I know its not traditionally a well known engineering school, but they have just invested a lot of money into their science and engineering program. They have built four new large buildings in the past 10 years (and they are the no expense spared type of buildings). So hopefully the image of Alabama's engineering program will be changing soon.

Are you in college yet? If so where are you going? If not where are you looking at?
Currently I'm finishing my last year of high school... but where I live there are only 5 years of high school, then you go to something called "cegep" and only after you go to college/university. I want to go to McGill university (I live in Montreal) as it is one of the best English universities. And also, I know this dude who went to a worse university than McGill and Audi accepted him as an intern in a College in Germany! So even if school for engineering may be hard, it is probably easy to get taken as an intern as long as you have good grades
      09-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Currently I'm finishing my last year of high school... but where I live there are only 5 years of high school, then you go to something called "cegep" and only after you go to college/university. I want to go to McGill university (I live in Montreal) as it is one of the best English universities. And also, I know this dude who went to a worse university than McGill and Audi accepted him as an intern in a College in Germany! So even if school for engineering may be hard, it is probably easy to get taken as an intern as long as you have good grades
Jeez. 5 years of high school, I don't think I could have done that.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Jeez. 5 years of high school, I don't think I could have done that.
Hahahaha... Dont u have 6?
      09-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
God no. We have four years of high school and then we go to college.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
God no. We have four years of high school and then we go to college.
So basically compared to you, I waste 3 years of my life... :_(
      09-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Learning more is never a waste of time, even if what you're learning isn't directly applicable to your future job. I think this is especially true for math and science subjects. There's a certain kind of logic/pattern recognition/rigor that math, physics, chemistry, biology will teach you that may prove invaluable to a wide variety of careers out there.

Hell, I think learning for the sake of learning is one of noblest endeavors one can pursue in this life.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
Quote:
Learning more is never a waste of time, even if what you're learning isn't directly applicable to your future job. I think this is especially true for math and science subjects. There's a certain kind of logic/pattern recognition/rigor that math, physics, chemistry, biology will teach you that may prove invaluable to a wide variety of careers out there.

Hell, I think learning for the sake of learning is one of noblest endeavors one can pursue in this life.
I completely agree! What I meant was that instead of having 4 years of high school and college right away, I have 5 years, and two more years afterwards for pre-university studies. I think that an additional 3 years of learning will for sure come in handy. Plus, the more you know, the better
      09-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post

That's not necessarily true.

There IS plenty of R&D work outside of Germany. If you want to go into engineer design, then yes, that's done in Germany.

And yes, learning Germany is a huge plus.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That's not necessarily true.

There IS plenty of R&D work outside of Germany. If you want to go into engineer design, then yes, that's done in Germany.

And yes, learning Germany is a huge plus.

Just curious, what type of R&D work is outside of Germany?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Just curious, what type of R&D work is outside of Germany?
Cold/hot weather testing, driving dynamics, quality control ect...

BMW also has a testing facility out in Oxnard, CA
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Cold/hot weather testing, driving dynamics, quality control ect...

BMW also has a testing facility out in Oxnard, CA
I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

Engineer

Quote:
Maybe you should try Polytechnique in Montreal.
Bonne chance
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper1
Quote:
Maybe you should try Polytechnique in Montreal.
Bonne chance
Lol dont really want to go to a french school, mais merci!
      09-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Pretty sure what Canadians call "high school" is some fusion of US middle school and HS. This type of stuff varies widely across the world, but most are ready for university study between the ages of 17 and 19.

Mcgill is a fantastic research university, very good engineering department too, arguably the best in Canada. Best ticket to get into a certain industry is through internships early in your college career. For German OEM's, there are many calibration engineers stateside, but I'm pretty sure most R&D happens in the motherland. This differs slightly from the Japanese OEM's, which for whatever reason all have pretty sizable R&D efforts in the Detroit metro area.

German OEM's tend to be very supplier oriented, so many of the technologies are developed or licensed from suppliers such as Bosch, Continental, ZF etc. These companies tend to have a much bigger global R&D presence since their customers are all over the world. All of these companies have operations in the Detroit metro area.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
... I think this is especially true for math and science subjects. There's a certain kind of logic/pattern recognition/rigor that math, physics, chemistry, biology will teach you that may prove invaluable to a wide variety of careers out there.

True! And those skills are invaluable later on in life no matter what path OP is going to go
Appreciate 0