Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Keep rolling diameter close to stock?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Keep rolling diameter close to stock?

Sorry for what might seem like a dumb question, but I just ordered some new EC-7s and need to figure out the tire size.

New set up is going to be

19x8.5 ET 35, 19x9.5 ET43

A 235/35 and 275/30 set up would have diameters of 25.48" and 25.5" respectively or about 1.5% off from stock.

225/35 and 265/30 would drop the difference from stock in the rolling diameter to ~0.6% and ~0.89%.

Am I correct in assuming that I would be better off going for the 225/35, 265/30 set up since they're closer to stock or is what matters the new diameters being relatively close to each other and not stock set up?

Last edited by DarkRider23; 03-19-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Larger than stock shouldn't be an issue, your speedo will be off a little but that's it I think. Hell, taller tires will make your speedo more accurate since its like off by 3mph from the factory.

It's good to keep the tires close in the same diameter especially if AWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Larger than stock shouldn't be an issue, your speedo will be off a little but that's it I think. Hell, taller tires will make your speedo more accurate since its like off by 3mph from the factory.

It's good to keep the tires close in the same diameter especially if AWD.
I agree. the only thing that matters is the rolling diameter between wheels if you're x drive. also check for fitment which doesn't seem like an issue with those sizes and offsets. if you want something meatier go with the bigger sizes.
E90|330xi|SGM|Terra Cotta interior|Forged1 Wheels(one side red the other city lights)|M3 Rep Front Bumper|Msport Rear Bumper|KW V1 Coilovers|K&N Air Filter|OEM Black Grille|Red Cyba Air scoops|DIY Gloss Black Side Splitters|Tee rear splitters|Monkey Air Freshener|
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

+1 on both of those answers. It is more important that your front and rear are close in diameter. I wouldn't go smaller than stock because then the speedometer will be less accurate.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Thanks for all the answers everyone. I'll probably be going for the bigger tires. The speedometer being off a bit isn't a big deal since it's already off to begin with. I could definitely use some meatier tires for NJ. Every little bit helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6AT

It IS an issue and I can't believe I'm the only one saying this every time it comes up. You will work the brakes and engine significantly harder asking them to start and stop a car on larger diameter tires. Its a simple matter of physics. Whether its significant enough to cause a significant amount of extra wear over a period of time is debatable, but it just seems like a silly thing to do to me, no offense, I know you were asking for opinions, right or wrong, that's mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post
It IS an issue and I can't believe I'm the only one saying this every time it comes up. You will work the brakes and engine significantly harder asking them to start and stop a car on larger diameter tires. Its a simple matter of physics. Whether its significant enough to cause a significant amount of extra wear over a period of time is debatable, but it just seems like a silly thing to do to me, no offense, I know you were asking for opinions, right or wrong, that's mine.
Lmao like 1/2" or less is going to make a noticeable difference on any of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

Yeh in this particular case you are right, I didn't read the op properly, the difference he's talking about is less than half an inch by the way. I thought they were talking about upsizing, which is less advisable (running a 40 instead of a 35, for example). You could have posted that you din't think a hjalf inch makes any difference, and I would have checked my statement against the OP and probably agreed with you. In stead you tried to call me out and put a laughing smiley where I'm discussing something serious that not many people are aware of. Basically, you're very aggressive for someone who didn't know how asymmetrical tires work. I could have laughed at you in the other thread where you embarrassed yourself, but I didn't, I patiently tried to explain, grow up dude.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeh in this particular case you are right, I didn't read the op properly, the difference he's talking about is less than half an inch by the way. I thought they were talking about upsizing, which is less advisable (running a 40 instead of a 35, for example). You could have posted that you din't think a hjalf inch makes any difference, and I would have checked my statement against the OP and probably agreed with you. In stead you tried to call me out and put a laughing smiley where I'm discussing something serious that not many people are aware of. Basically, you're very aggressive for someone who didn't know how asymmetrical tires work. I could have laughed at you in the other thread where you embarrassed yourself, but I didn't, I patiently tried to explain, grow up dude.
I admitted I was wrong in the other thread I was thinking directional tires. Anyways I was just making a joke hence the laughing smiley. I apologize if it offended you. To me it just sounded like the typical "Use a non BMW part and your car will self destruct" lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Yet people with trucks do 20x greater diameter changes without issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 03:29 AM   #11
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I admitted I was wrong in the other thread I was thinking directional tires. Anyways I was just making a joke hence the laughing smiley. I apologize if it offended you. To me it just sounded like the typical "Use a non BMW part and your car will self destruct" lol.
Sorry man, I got the wrong end of the stick with the laughing smiley.

I see people often saying that upsizing 4% is no issue, and they're entitled to that opinion, I just think its a bad idea, especially with the faster cars, as the extra torque on a bigger wheel is just like using a longer lever on a wrench, sure you get more purchase, but you're also a lot more likely to break the nut or the wrench, I'm sure you know what I mean. Not a BMW thing, nor am I a BMW DE policy worshipper, I think this goes for all cars.

And to the guy that said about trucks, yeh, they are built a lot stronger and have torquier engines, but don't believe for one second that those truck drivers haven't compromised their vehicles, just like when we use aggressive offsets and ride heights, its a trade off they are happy with, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #12
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry man, I got the wrong end of the stick with the laughing smiley.

I see people often saying that upsizing 4% is no issue, and they're entitled to that opinion, I just think its a bad idea, especially with the faster cars, as the extra torque on a bigger wheel is just like using a longer lever on a wrench, sure you get more purchase, but you're also a lot more likely to break the nut or the wrench, I'm sure you know what I mean. Not a BMW thing, nor am I a BMW DE policy worshipper, I think this goes for all cars.

And to the guy that said about trucks, yeh, they are built a lot stronger and have torquier engines, but don't believe for one second that those truck drivers haven't compromised their vehicles, just like when we use aggressive offsets and ride heights, its a trade off they are happy with, that's all.
I do agree that 4% difference or 1 profile higher is too much. Going up a size or 2 in width just makes a small difference in height and these are common sizes with aftermarket wheels. You are correct on your reasoning though if the tire or wheel size is way off. No hard feelings just a misunderstanding.

Here is a laugh at someone else's expense for you
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=donk
Appreciate 0