E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Breakdown cover

06-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Breakdown cover

So my Breakdown cover with GreenFlag is up for renewal at the end of the month.

Been quoted £69 for Recovery Plus, which includes a 1 year "no call outs" discount.

On there website I can get the same cover as a new customer for £67.
If I go through Money Supermarket, it appears I can do another better and get it for £60.

Had the same thing with Admiral Insurance not long ago, and phoned them up. There and then they price matched my online prices. (Saved £160! )

So I thought I would try the same with GreenFlag, but they could do nothing.
Said its an online price only which they cant match, I need to leave and re-join to get it.
Said to them dont auto renew.

I have never had to call GreenFlag out, so just wanted to get people's opinions on Break down cover.
Green Flag any good?
RAC or the AA worth the extra money? (Looking at about £100 for the same-ish cover)

On my previous car I just took out Admiral's cover, and called them out 3 times.
Each time was ok. Never fixed the car and towed me home / to a garage.
Took over 1 hour to arrive each time.
So not keen to go with them.

However they did offer a similar level of cover when I renewed my insurance for £58.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i e91

i got green flag from my bank. check with you bank.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Im with the AA for the Relay aspect of it, if you break down and they cant fix it at the road side, they will take you anywhere in the country. handy when you brake down outside Santa Pod, and have to get the car home to Oban. (was nearly 19hours on various recovery trucks, but it got the car home!)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 MT

I have a platinum account with Lloyds Tsb and AA breakdown cover is included, it also covers any friends or family that might break down

Used the cover 2 weeks ago for my mums car and the engineer was at my door within 10mins.

Check with your bank if there is any cover included with your account.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Go through quidco - they do excellent cash back for green flag - currently £40 cashback on recovery plus and £70 on Eurocover.

I did RAC this time - think it worked out at £30 a yr after cashback - and i could pay monthly too.
      06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Thanks for the replies all.

My bank account does not come with cover at the momment.
However, I could upgrade it to a "Platinum" account for £16 per month, and get Green Flag cover this way.
It would of course also come with other things, like mobile insurance, travel insurance etc.
Gota work out if this would save me money elsewhere too.
Going to speak to them today.

Thanks for the Quicdo pointer! Ill look on there now.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Go through quidco - they do excellent cash back for green flag - currently £40 cashback on recovery plus and £70 on Eurocover.

I did RAC this time - think it worked out at £30 a yr after cashback - and i could pay monthly too.
This.

I thought i better get cover for driving the banger the 300 mile trip home from collection.

Got RAC via Quidco. Cost roughly £86. Got £30 cash back and RAC were doing a promotion of £50 of free petrol (spread over a year in 4 £12.50 vouchers). Total cost of relay cover for a year £6.

AA wanted £100+ I talked them down to £89 but there was some problem with starting the cover when i wanted. While holding i realised i'd not checked offers via Quidco so hung up. Despite not saying i wanted cover the bastards still helped themselves to the money using card details they had on record from a previously concealed membership.

I get sales calls from the AA nearly every day. It's so annoying it's enough to put me off ever dealing with them again.