E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tuning benefit diminished on a road race course?

11-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Tuning benefit diminished on a road race course?

So, I am out with my friend on the Infineon racetrack this weekend..road course...and I am going pretty hard. I have over 120 track days under my belt..my car has a Dinan tune...coilovers/exhaust/lighter wheels/track tires(235/40/18 on all four corners)/big brakes...and my friend has a stock 135i with R compounds..and just koni coilovers (although his tires were at 255/35/18s). He use to own a procede tune..but I just found out he didnt have it in the car when we were on the track.

My comment is this..when we were driving hard on the track...I didnt see any significant power increase in my car over his..his should have been in the stock range of what? 305 to 310 bhp at the crank...and 300 ft lbs at the crank in torque. Mine should have been close to 80 more bhp...and maybe 100 more ft lbs of torque..but, I could not really gain on him that much at all...maybe a slight amount..but certainly not that noticable. I actually thought that he was chipped on the track..but found out later he wasnt. This actually concerns me.

Why would I not be able to gain on him..or pull away from him noticably on the track? heat soak? weight differences? wouldnt he have heat soak too?

In case you are reading this Shiv..it was Navid driving the 135i.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

positive he wasn't pulling your leg about not having a tune?

Did you miss the wink of the eye when he said... "I do *not* (wink) have a tune".
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
So, I am out with my friend on the Infineon racetrack this weekend..road course...and I am going pretty hard. I have over 120 track days under my belt..my car has a Dinan tune...coilovers/exhaust/lighter wheels/track tires(235/40/18 on all four corners)/big brakes...and my friend has a stock 135i with R compounds..and just koni coilovers (although his tires were at 255/35/18s). He use to own a procede tune..but I just found out he didnt have it in the car when we were on the track.

My comment is this..when we were driving hard on the track...I didnt see any significant power increase in my car over his..his should have been in the stock range of what? 305 to 310 bhp at the crank...and 300 ft lbs at the crank in torque. Mine should have been close to 80 more bhp...and maybe 100 more ft lbs of torque..but, I could not really gain on him that much at all...maybe a slight amount..but certainly not that noticable. I actually thought that he was chipped on the track..but found out later he wasnt. This actually concerns me.

Why would I not be able to gain on him..or pull away from him noticably on the track? heat soak? weight differences? wouldnt he have heat soak too?

Because Navid is very good driver

No disrespect to you (because you could be an awesome driver for all I know). But I do know Navid and he's pretty fast.

For those who aren't experienced road racing, it can be shocking how much faster a good driver can be (in a less powerful car) than even an intermediate-level driver (in a more powerful car). They usually pick up a several car lengths under braking and then a few at turn exit. And then a whole bunch more in high speed sweepers. It's very very hard to compensate for superior driving skills with a more powerful car. In fact, most typical drivers will find more powerful cars to be harder to drive. Which can often make them not much faster and sometimes even slower

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 11-05-2008 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post

perhaps the 135's have a more efficient intercooler?

I think you more than anyone would benefit from a monster intercooler, heat soak might be killing you and the ECU is pulling boost and timing to keep things in check.
      11-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

You need an oil cooler + FMIC. You're losing a TON of power to heatsoak.
      11-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just re-read the OP's post more carefully. Looks like Navid also had R-compounds. That's worth a few seconds a lap right there. And a lot more if someone knows how to use them!

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
For those who aren't experienced road racing, it can be shocking how much faster a good driver can be (in a less powerful car) than even an intermediate-level driver (in a more powerful car). They usually pick up a several car lengths under braking and then a few at turn exit. And then a whole bunch more in high speed sweepers. It's very very hard to compensate for superior driving skills with a more powerful car. In fact, most typical drivers will find more powerful cars to be harder to drive. Which can often make them not much faster and sometimes even slower

Shiv
+1. I bet Michael Schumacher can overtake me in a Geo Metro if we were on a road course.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
satakal
Major
Rep

I'm positive that S4t0335 knows what he's talking about.

shouldn't his 350-370 hp car be able to chase down the 300 hp car on the straights? All things are not equal in the corners. But, on the straight parts...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

I think its a combination of more weight (335>135), taller gearing due to taller tires/less torque to the ground (235/40/18 taller than 255/35/18), skinnier/less sticky tires, and not enough straightaway to take advantage of the power difference.

I think he can begin to accelerate harder out of corners as well due to the differences mentioned above.
      11-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
I think its a combination of more weight (335>135), taller gearing due to taller tires/less torque to the ground (235/40/18 taller than 255/35/18), skinnier/less sticky tires, and not enough straightaway to take advantage of the power difference.

I think he can begin to accelerate harder out of corners as well due to the differences mentioned above.
+1...if he's getting out of the corners faster, it will be harder to reel him in.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post

shouldn't his 350-370 hp car be able to chase down the 300 hp car on the straights? All things are not equal in the corners. But, on the straight parts...
If a less powerful car is already going 10-15mph faster out of the corner, the more powerful car is going to have a helluva catching up despite accelerating faster.

In the real of drag racing, this is like having one car leave the lights already traveling 15mph while another starts from a dead stop. The second car can have 80 more hp but it's probably not going to catch up at the end of the 1/4 mile. Now imagine straights that aren't even a 1/4 long and where you have to brake hard at the end. This is why road racing < drag racing

Anyone who hasn't been on a race track with other, much faster, drivers will not understand just how significant the difference driving skill makes. All this take about more efficient ICs, more/less power, etc,. is largely insignificant.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:

All things are not equal on the straights, it all depends on how you get out of the corner
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
ar design
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
If a less powerful car is already going 10-15mph faster out of the corner, the more powerful car is going to have a helluva catching up despite accelerating faster.

In the real of drag racing, this is like having one car leave the lights already traveling 15mph while another starts from a dead stop. The second car can have 80 more hp but it's probably not going to catch up at the end of the 1/4 mile. Now imagine straights that aren't even a 1/4 long and where you have to brake hard at the end. This is why road racing < drag racing

Anyone who hasn't been on a race track with other, much faster, drivers will not understand just how significant the difference driving skill makes. All this take about more efficient ICs, more/less power, etc,. is largely insignificant.

shiv
If you're running a tune, you're pushing a lot more heat into the intercooler and oil. Hence, you're going to heatsoak a lot faster, and a lot worse than an untuned car, perhaps leaving the chipped car with ~ the same amount of power as a stock car due to boost and timing being yanked due to astronomical IATs.... That was my thought.... Not trying to be Billy Mays here and just sell product :P

NOTE: I am *not* bashing the V3, or saying its not good for the track, lest anyone read into what I am saying too much. The above goes for ANY tune. I personally run a ProCEDE FWIW.
      11-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
If you're running a tune, you're pushing a lot more heat into the intercooler and oil. Hence, you're going to heatsoak a lot faster, and a lot worse than an untuned car, perhaps leaving the chipped car with ~ the same amount of power as a stock car due to boost and timing being yanked due to astronomical IATs.... That was my thought.... Not just trying to be a shill and sell product :P
maybe just a little
      11-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
ar design
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
maybe just a little
Hey now! I don't even sell a FMIC
      11-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey now! I don't even sell a FMIC
you should
      11-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
ar design
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
you should
I currently have an uncureable itch for a bigger turbo.... FMIC? Later
      11-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #18
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you're running a tune, you're pushing a lot more heat into the intercooler and oil. Hence, you're going to heatsoak a lot faster, and a lot worse than an untuned car, perhaps leaving the chipped car with ~ the same amount of power as a stock car due to boost and timing being yanked due to astronomical IATs.... That was my thought.... Not trying to be Billy Mays here and just sell product :P

NOTE: I am *not* bashing the V3, or saying its not good for the track, lest anyone read into what I am saying too much. The above goes for ANY tune. I personally run a ProCEDE FWIW.
the OP runs a Dinan tune
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #19
ar design
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the OP runs a Dinan tune
Ack! Brain fart Well, the above still goes for any tune.... I also partially said V3 since I was "talking" to Shiv....
      11-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #20
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

This sounds about right, among the other factors.
      11-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
timtech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm a fair driver and I was spanked a couple weeks ago by a Cayenne and many Miata's (spec level). HP isn't the fastest way around the track, it's being able to carry the speed up to and through turns - and I was running a tune.

Being a digital HP driver is not the fastest way around a track - bottom line...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
ar design
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtech View Post
I'm a fair driver and I was spanked a couple weeks ago by a Cayenne and many Miata's (spec level). HP isn't the fastest way around the track, it's being able to carry the speed up to and through turns - and I was running a tune.

Being a digital HP driver is not the fastest way around a track - bottom line...
So true