E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

09-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #331
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

I sympathise with you Rolph. Touch wood I haven't had any problems with my 225M alloys. I was told that they only crack when people put non run flats on but this isn't the case with you. I would like to know if it's the alloys, tyres or the cars suspensions fault so I can try everything in my powers not to crack my alloys.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #332
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
I sympathise with you Rolph. Touch wood I haven't had any problems with my 225M alloys. I was told that they only crack when people put non run flats on but this isn't the case with you. I would like to know if it's the alloys, tyres or the cars suspensions fault so I can try everything in my powers not to crack my alloys.
BigTime

My wheels 296 are the original stock as are the tires that are indeed RFT.

Thanks for your post.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #333
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Webmaster for relocating the post

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #334
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Rolf

The cracked wheels issue was also all over Watchdog on BBC1 last year.

I'm no technical expert, but I've had three cracked wheels, 2 18" MV3 and 1 19" 230.

In an attempt to summarise the problem, the combination of proabably 2 of the following 5 issues caused the cracks a) big wheels not paticularly strong, b) low profile RUN FLAT tyres c) the poor state of UK roads d) low tyre pressures e) rear camber settings on e92/93 especially.

I eventually got the cash for the 18" back from bmw, and the 230 was replaced when the dealer spotted it (and before I knew about it).

What cause all the grief last year for most people was the insistence by bmw that it was down to driver error. that incenced a lot of people who looked after their £30-£40k + motors. Now, thanks to Watchdog, their attitude is much better
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #335
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Rolf

The cracked wheels issue was also all over Watchdog on BBC1 last year.

I'm no technical expert, but I've had three cracked wheels, 2 18" MV3 and 1 19" 230.

In an attempt to summarise the problem, the combination of proabably 2 of the following 5 issues caused the cracks a) big wheels not paticularly strong, b) low profile RUN FLAT tyres c) the poor state of UK roads d) low tyre pressures e) rear camber settings on e92/93 especially.

I eventually got the cash for the 18" back from bmw, and the 230 was replaced when the dealer spotted it (and before I knew about it).

What cause all the grief last year for most people was the insistence by bmw that it was down to driver error. that incenced a lot of people who looked after their £30-£40k + motors. Now, thanks to Watchdog, their attitude is much better
Thanks pjs

I know all about the UK Watchdog, and follow up there. I had much time to look around the internet waiting in my hotel room in Idaho USA.

The BMW dealer in Idaho believe it or not only was capable of checking my tire pressure. They don't have the manpower and or equipment to change wheels on there high end $50K, $60K, $70K and up automobiles they use Joe Blow's tire shop down the street. The tire shop made gauge marks on my wheel (extra force to remove the tire) that I am sure distorted or bend my wheel with the open crack. Now BMW tells me my wheel is bend after I dragged it 3000 KM back to Canada.

I've written to BMW Germany, we shall see what the outcome will be to get my $1,000- (wheel plus expenses) back.

I know the 19 inch wheel and RFT is a bad combination. I will change the RFT asp and if cracking continues I will change to 18 inch wheels.

Thanks for your input. Thanks also to UK Watchdog.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #336
crazyniz
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 335D

Well ive just switched over to non - RFT's and as they were putting it on, 2 cracks in the rear 19" alloy ! I had this problem before with one crack, i had it welded so it would pass the MOT.

4 months on, thats cracked, and now ive got another crack !

Went to BMW who said that i would have to buy a new one and then they will send it off to get inspected, if its at fault i will get a refund.

My worry is that as its allready been welded once, they will reject it straight away ! what do you guys think ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #337
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyniz View Post
Well ive just switched over to non - RFT's and as they were putting it on, 2 cracks in the rear 19" alloy ! I had this problem before with one crack, i had it welded so it would pass the MOT.

4 months on, thats cracked, and now ive got another crack !

Went to BMW who said that i would have to buy a new one and then they will send it off to get inspected, if its at fault i will get a refund.

My worry is that as its allready been welded once, they will reject it straight away ! what do you guys think ?
I have a strong feeling that if you had it welded as you say and BMW sees that they will reject it for sure.

Let us know how you made out.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #338
neck
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Has anybody experienced any cracked 18" or 19" wheels since moving to non-RFT tires? I'm considering moving to them and want to make sure that they will help me avoid any cracks. I'm running the 18" style 189 wheels and the crappy Bridgestone RFTs at the moment (no cracks @ 25,000miles) on a 2008 335xi. Any information would be extremely helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #339
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Neck - I am interested in this also. I worry if I change to non run flats and I crack my alloy the dealer will say it's because of the softer tyre wall.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #340
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I believe E92Fan has cracked a 230 on non run-flats but then, - he does at times drive rather enthusiastically!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #341
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

I just switched from RFT to non RFT. IMHO saying that cracks happen due to non RFT is pants. The difference in the hardness of the tyres is scary. I could barely compress the RFT while the nonRFT was soft as anything. The only thing I can think off its the other way round. The hardness of RFT and small profile would mean any shock would transfer to the wheel and hence cause damage. If anything going to nonRFT could save your wheels. At same time if you had damage aready caused, just chaning the tyres could make things worse. Watching the eventtyres guy wrestle with my 17" made me wince.

With 17" theres at least a lote more rubber than on 19" or 20" hate to see those being changed
      11-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #342
MattyD
Rep
Drives: 2008 320i M coupe

Has anyone had a cracked wheel replaced within warranty under good will?
or any sort of contrbution to a new wheel?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #343
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe

Just had car in garage today three of the 19' wheels on my E92 335d have cracks in them although no loss of pressure!!! any ideas if I can make any sort of claim against bmw?? car is 56 so out of warranty??
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #344
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyD View Post
Has anyone had a cracked wheel replaced within warranty under good will?
or any sort of contrbution to a new wheel?
Two extremes - 2 18" refunded after a year. Read the thread (and search for the watchdog thread) and you'll see. Then more recently had a 230 style 19" replaced without questions. Quite a few others have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12 View Post
Just had car in garage today three of the 19' wheels on my E92 335d have cracks in them although no loss of pressure!!! any ideas if I can make any sort of claim against bmw?? car is 56 so out of warranty??
Only chance I reckon is if you bought the car from a BMW dealer and had it serviced by them, and then you'll need some luck - or you might persuade to do them at cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #345
MattyD
Rep
Drives: 2008 320i M coupe

Thanks pjs
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #346
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Garage List
Another MV3 rear alloy victim just waiting on whats on offer from the dealers.

Extended warranty does not cover wheels! so hoping for a new one at cost at the very least, 0.69mm runout is clearly not a buckled damaged wheel!!!

Si
      11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #347
W12
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe

Just dropped off my 2 19' 230 wheels at scotthall BMW leeds both have a crack in them- they said I will get a response in 48 hours - will keep u guys updated as car is out of warranty being 4 years old so will be an interesting one!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #348
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Garage List
Update: My 18" MV3 has been replaced FOC under the goodwill gesture, This is on a 55 plate 330i, the procedure is the dealer does the run out test then looks at the whole picture age of vehicle service history etc it is then up to BMW Uk to decide.

I have to pay for the runout test and wheel fitting ! but this is mandatory under the goodwill gesture hope this gives others hope in the same situation as myself.

Simon
      12-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #349
simes333
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M

both 19" rears cracked

I have both rears cracked under review by bmw uk. i have asked for totally new rims on the basis that they are badly designed and dangerous. i will post here with the result. not to hopeful

Black E93 335i - Colour Coded Rims - Alpina Black Grill - Auto - Black Sapphire - Red Leather - + loads of other stuff that made it more expensive than I planned!

Last edited by simes333; 12-05-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #350
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Well, its happened again. Front right had slowly lost pressure during last week but been almost nowhere cos of the snow. Was losing 10 psi overnight and I kept topping it up. Car was in for a routine 'check' on Friday, diagnosed a cracked alloy (230) and gearbox leak. Cracked Alloy replaced FOC, (Gearbox needed new gasket, but meant it got a full refill on new oil). Again, important to note that BMW are taking each case of broken wheels on their own merit, and looking at the cars history.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #351
simes333
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M

Quote:
Well, its happened again. Front right had slowly lost pressure during last week but been almost nowhere cos of the snow. Was losing 10 psi overnight and I kept topping it up. Car was in for a routine 'check' on Friday, diagnosed a cracked alloy (230) and gearbox leak. Cracked Alloy replaced FOC, (Gearbox needed new gasket, but meant it got a full refill on new oil). Again, important to note that BMW are taking each case of broken wheels on their own merit, and looking at the cars history.
Hi There, I have the same issue with 2 wheels, what is your dealer called? I am with Snows and hoping for the same result you had!

Black E93 335i - Colour Coded Rims - Alpina Black Grill - Auto - Black Sapphire - Red Leather - + loads of other stuff that made it more expensive than I planned!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #352
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When you say 'taking each case of broken wheels on their own merit' do you mean they'll look at what tyres you had on? What tyres did you have pjs when they cracked?
Appreciate 0