E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > UUC SSK delivered today!

08-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OVER SLOW LEFT LANE DRIVERS!

UUC SSK delivered today!

no DSSR - but at least it'll be an improvement over the stock shifter....

now the question is for those that have a SSK installed - is the installation any different than the 335i? I have seen the DIYs for the i and only one on the XI without having to go underneath the car....

if you guys did it from the top - did you guys follow this DIY: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229346

Or just follow the 335i DIY's and freestyle any differences?

Thanks!
      08-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

anyway I installed it without issues - but I need to redo it because I noticed it leaning right (sign of it installed backwards) and UUC said some of those XI ones were produced backwards - sigh - at least you can install it pretty easily without going under the car.
      08-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

you installed SSK UUC without going under the car on an XI?
tip of the hat to you.

on mine we had to lower the tranny and remove the exhaust, there was no way to be done from the top 100%.

mine is e90 maybe it's easier on e92.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
you installed SSK UUC without going under the car on an XI?
tip of the hat to you.

on mine we had to lower the tranny and remove the exhaust, there was no way to be done from the top 100%.

mine is e90 maybe it's easier on e92.
yeah i went under there and there was no way i could do all that so I went up top and I saw that I could at a minimum take the circlip off from the top - then it was the point of no return....not saying it was easy or fast for sure - it took me like 5 hours to do. A lot of the time was spent going back to the forum and also searching for lost parts that fell into the abyss - good thing I took all the under belly panels off bc I got lucky that my bearing was found after it fell through.

there is a DIY on here from bavarianbullet that I used but didnt modify the cup but i see how it would have made installing the cir clip a lot easier.

i have to do it again though bc although i followed UUC directions it was still backwards - sigh - they said it happens....
      08-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep

again, remarkable if you managed to do it.
I would never do it again. was it worth it, there is improvement in the shift throws = yes. Drastic = no. a friend of mine drove it and he didn't even noticed from before and after.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
again, remarkable if you managed to do it.
I would never do it again. was it worth it, there is improvement in the shift throws = yes. Drastic = no. a friend of mine drove it and he didn't even noticed from before and after.
Yeah - i think it will be even more noticeable once they make (if ever) a DSSR which will eliminate all the side to side ambiguity that is present in these shifters. The stock selector rod is very loose and only connected from one side.
      08-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep

true but i am not touching that sh*& again as it is so much work to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezofchuck View Post
Yeah - i think it will be even more noticeable once they make (if ever) a DSSR which will eliminate all the side to side ambiguity that is present in these shifters. The stock selector rod is very loose and only connected from one side.
I know i'm bumping an old thread but i'm considering getting the UUC but trying to make sure it's worth it... If you could do it again would you spend the money (for me it will be $500 installed) or just save it for something else? How much did it actually decrease the throws? And lastly did it get rid of the second gear issues such as having to really force the shifter into 2nd gear? Please let me know cause it's on sale so i'd have to order tonight. Mainly trying to figure out if it's really worth that price...
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
If you could do it again would you spend the money (for me it will be $500 installed) or just save it for something else? How much did it actually decrease the throws? And lastly did it get rid of the second gear issues such as having to really force the shifter into 2nd gear?
I installed it myself (no DSSR) but had to cut the holder cup of the shifter so I don't have to go under the car. $500 installed is a good price.

It does shorten the throws enough so that you can keep your elbow on the center console and shift with your wrist.
But 1st to 2nd still feels very long and just as bad on bumpy roads under heavy load. I think it's more to do with the movement in the drivetrain that the shifter itself but there definitely are still cases when it simply won't go in unless you force it.

All that being said, their customer service is HORRIBLE. I waited 2 months (they had a promotion at the time too calling every other day and every time it was supposed to ship tomorrow or even today. Finally cancelled the direct order with UUC and ordered via a re-seller (regular price) and they shipped it in a week.
Tried to get the sway bar set but the shop that was going to install them gave up after waiting over a month so warn your shop that they won't be getting the parts any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
I installed it myself (no DSSR) but had to cut the holder cup of the shifter so I don't have to go under the car. $500 installed is a good price.

It does shorten the throws enough so that you can keep your elbow on the center console and shift with your wrist.
But 1st to 2nd still feels very long and just as bad on bumpy roads under heavy load. I think it's more to do with the movement in the drivetrain that the shifter itself but there definitely are still cases when it simply won't go in unless you force it.

All that being said, their customer service is HORRIBLE. I waited 2 months (they had a promotion at the time too calling every other day and every time it was supposed to ship tomorrow or even today. Finally cancelled the direct order with UUC and ordered via a re-seller (regular price) and they shipped it in a week.
Tried to get the sway bar set but the shop that was going to install them gave up after waiting over a month so warn your shop that they won't be getting the parts any time soon.
Yea I was going to order it myself from UUC then $200 for install but I guess maybe I should order from somewhere else. The only thing that's really kept me from pulling the trigger already is I feel like I could find a much better use for the 500 since I don't really mind the oem shifter that much... I've driven my friends STi and S4 with a ssk and those were really nice since they were extremely short but from what i'm reading this is only really a 30% difference.
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
I know i'm bumping an old thread but i'm considering getting the UUC but trying to make sure it's worth it... If you could do it again would you spend the money (for me it will be $500 installed) or just save it for something else? How much did it actually decrease the throws? And lastly did it get rid of the second gear issues such as having to really force the shifter into 2nd gear? Please let me know cause it's on sale so i'd have to order tonight. Mainly trying to figure out if it's really worth that price...
I having no other aftermarket ssk to compare to but I can say that the uuc feels much better than the long ass stock throw and even without the dssr the side to side slack isn't bad. If you want to get it and save on install I can help you do it without going under the car. I have installed it twice now because I put it in backwards the first time. I followed directions but uuc said it happens sometimes on the xi version. I think mine is also higher that my friends I version so I might ask if they sent me the tall boy version. Yes I lowered it to the lowest setting.