E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Simple question: complicated answer? Will it fit: Sony XAV8000 on CIC setup

08-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
leeks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i LCi

Simple question: complicated answer? Will it fit: Sony XAV8000 on CIC setup

Hi guys,

I have a simple question but I'm not sure about the answer.
Sony recently released an "affordable" single-DIN unit that has android auto etc.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...play-receiver/

So the question is: can I install this and have both iDrive and the new headunit working hand in hand? I know the head unit (with the 6 or 8 buttons) is also where some of the CIC components reside (if I'm not wrong?). So I guess I'll have the tuck it somewhere else if I want them to work together but I'm not sure I'm thinking about this the right way.

The main aim is to have my phone connected and Android auto running (not on my phone's screen which is what I'm already doing). I would also be interested if someone knows of an alternative way to get it to work: for example and video-in from a secondary processing unit that runs android auto with USB connection to phone and displays through the CIC display.

Perhaps it's a stupid question but don't we all want to have WAZE for navigation?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you have factory NAV

If you have factory NAV
it makes putting anything else in ridiculously complicated and
a kluge job.
Better to update it to something like an NBT evo if that has
should have Android by now.

Behind those Nav buttons are the brains of both the Nav and Idrive.
Plus it would be real ugly.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-23-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
I can't disagree with ctuna, but did come across one post somewhere that showed someone successfully installing an eonon or xtrons non-iDrive unit in their iDrive car.

Don't know details, or how involved (don't think it was too bad), but worth searching for.
      08-23-2019, 02:29 AM   #4
leeks
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks guys, been digging in the forums quite a bit and seems like all signs point to it being a nightmare.

Good thought experiment though, but I might as well spend all these efforts into upgrading the ridiculous base stereo that BMW has decided to couple with these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeks View Post
thanks guys, been digging in the forums quite a bit and seems like all signs point to it being a nightmare.

Good thought experiment though, but I might as well spend all these efforts into upgrading the ridiculous base stereo that BMW has decided to couple with these cars.
Yeah, I can imagine it's a challenge given it's not a common scenario. The main thing I worry about is if the biggest reason these aftermarket HUs (the ones that integrate like OEM) aren't "compatible" with iDrive is simply because of the placement. I imagine if that was it, might be easy to remedy, so there's probably more to it?

What you could do is look at the iDrive specific replacements (I believe Avin, Xtrons make some) which will give you some of the functionality, and then code your stock HU to Hifi and add an amp (HiFi or aftermarket) for the sound quality improvement.
Tackle it from two different angles...

Coming from base, after adding your amp, you'll probably want to start looking at speaker replacements too... the whole damn base system is a weak link! lol
      08-26-2019, 02:06 AM   #6
leeks
Enlisted Member
Rep

absolutely.

I'm looking for try to copy what Rockyz did for his E90 LCI. You can see his thread here, very detailed.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1#post16679904

I'm slowly gathering the parts as you have suggested above, amp first, speakers following.
Appreciate 0