E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW E92 Vs Audi S5

02-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Tyso335
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport.......

BMW E92 Vs Audi S5

has anyone had an s5 to be able to compare it to an e92 335d on handling?

i keep getting my car side ways even when i feel not pushing it hard or expecting it to come round. and i just feel u cant get the full power down half the time cause the car just spins up and traction cuts in.

i feel the car round corners does not handle that well. i dont no if it due to my last car and im expecting to much from the bmw. but i would of thought it wouldnt be this bad.

im wondering if the quattro on the audi would be any better and if anyone has experienced this?

any thoughts are welcome thanks

Fuel of the Devil
NOW: E92 335d M Sport lots of mods to come...
Gone But Not Forgotten: EVO 8 MR FQ340 Running 370bhp
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Not answering your question, but i heard if you replace some of the suspensions parts (tension struts, arms, bushes, sways ect) with M3 ones, it will give you a lot more poise and better handling. Even more so if you replace your springs shocks (which i think you may have done). Sat in an E91 with all this done and it was amazing. Felt like you were on rails with no sideway movements. Stuck to the road.

But yeah, M-Sport suspension is not good
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Not answering your question, but i heard if you replace some of the suspensions parts (tension struts, arms, bushes, sways ect) with M3 ones, it will give you a lot more poise and better handling. Even more so if you replace your springs shocks (which i think you may have done). Sat in an E91 with all this done and it was amazing. Felt like you were on rails with no sideway movements. Stuck to the road.

But yeah, M-Sport suspension is not good
not changed the suspension yet mate, i would like to but cars anoying me with these handling issues so been looking at other cars. but if this problem could solve it, would be helpful. i do love the look of the car its gorgeous, just anoys me when it slides everywhere.

do you find the same problem

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

The S5 is nosy heavy and understeers a lot.

Your car shouldn't get out of shape too easy. I would get it checked out.

Here is the 335i v S5 from 5th gear.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
The S5 is nosy heavy and understeers a lot.

Your car shouldn't get out of shape too easy. I would get it checked out.

Here is the 335i v S5 from 5th gear.
maybe i just need to learn how to drive like her lol

yeh the bmw she's says handles better but is just goin side ways round the corners in the vid but u cant do that on the road though.

well i was goin over a roundabout the otherday no mega quick at all otherwise i would of expected for the car to step out, i turned a lil cause i was only going straight over then next min the cars going sideways.

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Only sideways when messing around. Fastest is going straight.

I've got to give it a fair bit of throttle and lock in an attempt to throw the back out.

If the back is moving out too easily I would start looking for a problem.

How is the tyre wear and pressures? Have you got good tyres on?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Only sideways when messing around. Fastest is going straight.

I've got to give it a fair bit of throttle and lock in an attempt to throw the back out.

If the back is moving out too easily I would start looking for a problem.

How is the tyre wear and pressures? Have you got good tyres on?
yeh i had hardly any lock and no throttle.

um tyres are kumho and are 6 months old so treads fine. i no there not top of the range but would they really corse this much difference?

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Kumho tyres should according to reviews provide good grip. Many of the M3 guys change over to them.

We've seen some good ones on here including a guy that had both rear wheels on one side. Obviously that had a big effect on handling.

Something must be wrong. Maybe worth getting the suspension and tracking done.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr
Kumho tyres should according to reviews provide good grip. Many of the M3 guys change over to them.

We've seen some good ones on here including a guy that had both rear wheels on one side. Obviously that had a big effect on handling.

Something must be wrong. Maybe worth getting the suspension and tracking done.
Ok mate ill look into it. Might change suspension and get tracking all done and see how it is.

So you reckon kumho are ok then. Most people think there bugets n crap but there better then budget for sure. But would you say there as good as michlin pilots?

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
skelts
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This sounds as if you may have a problem somewhere. If your traction is on then it should kick in every time which is a pain as it prevents power but if your sliding with it on then i would be looking for a problem.

Im only up the road mate if you want to see if mine does the same but i have to drive hard with no traction for it to do it.

Audi RS5 - Sold
BMW 640d Gran Coupe
BMW F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

What Kuhmo?

I bought a set of 18s for my M3 and they came with Kumho ku-39's I think it was? Something 39 anyway.
They were extremely progressive in that you could feel when they were about to let go, but buy did they let go easily on that car. I got them around late September, but as soon as October arrived an the air started to get damp along with the roads I had to swap them as I could see myself ending up in a ditch.

I put Pilot Sport 2's on all round, again a tyre that is very progressive and can let go fairly early, but they held on so much longer.
I now had to provoke the back end, not feel it going just on roundabouts etc.

You also get this back end twicth when you have different tyres front and rear, seen it so many times on the forums over the years.
So just double check the tyre fitter has definitely put exactly the same Kumho front and rear on.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #12
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Don't forget roads are very slippery this time of year (even with out snow or ice on the ground) and if you've come from an EVO with 4wd you are never going to be able to put as much power down in these conditions may need to change your driving style slightly and wait and see what it's like when the weather warms up and roads give better grip
      02-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #13
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelts
This sounds as if you may have a problem somewhere. If your traction is on then it should kick in every time which is a pain as it prevents power but if your sliding with it on then i would be looking for a problem.

Im only up the road mate if you want to see if mine does the same but i have to drive hard with no traction for it to do it.
Wel the traction does kick in but i dont see why it lets go so easy.

See i dont feel like im driving it to hard to make it kick but then am i driving it hard and no relising im pushin it on the limits cause im used to my evo...

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #14
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE
What Kuhmo?

I bought a set of 18s for my M3 and they came with Kumho ku-39's I think it was? Something 39 anyway.
They were extremely progressive in that you could feel when they were about to let go, but buy did they let go easily on that car. I got them around late September, but as soon as October arrived an the air started to get damp along with the roads I had to swap them as I could see myself ending up in a ditch.

I put Pilot Sport 2's on all round, again a tyre that is very progressive and can let go fairly early, but they held on so much longer.
I now had to provoke the back end, not feel it going just on roundabouts etc.

You also get this back end twicth when you have different tyres front and rear, seen it so many times on the forums over the years.
So just double check the tyre fitter has definitely put exactly the same Kumho front and rear on.
I cant member what kumhos off top my head will look wen i get home. Im thinkin of switchin to pilots or somthing along that line. I have kumhos front and rear but are slightly dif tred pattern.

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #15
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing
Don't forget roads are very slippery this time of year (even with out snow or ice on the ground) and if you've come from an EVO with 4wd you are never going to be able to put as much power down in these conditions may need to change your driving style slightly and wait and see what it's like when the weather warms up and roads give better grip
Yeh the roads arnt great at the mo so i no there bit dodgy.
Yeh comparing it to the evo is a no go. But i duno wether im drivin it to hard and im expecting it to much of it.
Im just feeling there is no fun in it now just fink im gona crash all time.

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #16
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

The lack of a limited slip diff is what is making it so easy for you to break loose when powering hard through a turn. You can always get an aftermarket one and it would dramatically change how your car behaves when putting power down, without being boring awd.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #17
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

My car felt plain dangerous when cold on its 19inch rfts, now I've got smaller winter tyres on it feels very secure. Half of it probably comes from being used to my previous Golf GTI which was far better in the cold
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #18
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro
The lack of a limited slip diff is what is making it so easy for you to break loose when powering hard through a turn. You can always get an aftermarket one and it would dramatically change how your car behaves when putting power down, without being boring awd.
Thats an idea cheers mate. The audi doesnt look good at handling at all on the videos ive seen of it

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #19
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Dan
My car felt plain dangerous when cold on its 19inch rfts, now I've got smaller winter tyres on it feels very secure. Half of it probably comes from being used to my previous Golf GTI which was far better in the cold
Yeh thts true gona look into tyres. And stop thinkin its an evo. Lol

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #20
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
+1, its not just through a turn, even just getting traction on a straight/from stand still. I couldn't stand how my 335 felt without a LSD, the TC light was coming on far too often. All too often when I expected the car to go, it would just sit there because the TC has decided to cut the power.

Out of all the mods I've done to the car; JB4(now running PROcede) tune, AR downpipes, Intercooler, Antiroll bars, uprated brake pads/lines, the Quaife LSD has made the biggest difference. If I had to choose to only do one mod for the car, the LSD would be at the top of the list...A combination of fear of speed cameras, my own lazziness, and getting old means these days I rarely go above 70 even on M ways so absoulte power is not that important to me .

Ofcourse you could just drive around with the TC disabled .
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #21
Tyso335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
+1, its not just through a turn, even just getting traction on a straight/from stand still. I couldn't stand how my 335 felt without a LSD, the TC light was coming on far too often. All too often when I expected the car to go, it would just sit there because the TC has decided to cut the power.

Out of all the mods I've done to the car; JB4(now running PROcede) tune, AR downpipes, Intercooler, Antiroll bars, uprated brake pads/lines, the Quaife LSD has made the biggest difference. If I had to choose to only do one mod for the car, the LSD would be at the top of the list.

Ofcourse you could just drive around with the TC disabled .
Haha yes i could but id prob crash haha

Thats good to no. So how do i go about getting an LSD fitted. Is it much work? Whats the cost?

Fuel of the Devil
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #22
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyso335 View Post
Haha yes i could but id prob crash haha

Thats good to no. So how do i go about getting an LSD fitted. Is it much work? Whats the cost?
I had mine fitted by Birds (based near Heathrow, do a google search for Birds BMW and all the info is there). It took them half a day (i waited), total cost was around £1.5K. They are not the cheapest in terms of labour but fitting LSDs isn't a job I would even trust my very good normal mechanic to do.
Appreciate 0